ABD Yelling at Wilson on the sideline.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I can get on board with that statement at least yesterday for sure. I loved what I saw the week before but yesterday was a train wreck on all fronts. Next week will be very interesting for sure. I hope they get it figured out.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2ngepmpc said:
NJSeaHawk":2ngepmpc said:
austinslater25":2ngepmpc said:
You do realize that Baldwin has more drops than Kearse this year including a TD yesterday?

You do realize that Baldwin is our best route-running receiver? He is also our most consistent receiver right now, like it or not. I think he was yelling to Wilson to "throw the ball downfield!"

Hey Doug, it's a little difficult to throw the ball downfield (and accurately) when I have exactly two seconds between when the ball is snapped and when I have a defensive lineman in the backfield trying to sodomize me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Russ

Having Unger out certainly didnt help either!

AgentDib

Reaction score
austinslater25":1drdqqdq said:
Brock just said after watching the 22 tape that the receivers just were NOT winning the battle on the outside and were consistently losing the one on one matchups. If that is the case then there is nothing Wilson can do. He needs help.
For sure there are complex interactions here. Wilson isn't solely at fault but that doesn't excuse him either. The coaching staff emphasizes ball control, the play calling neglects the running game, Wilson avoids throwing contested passes, the receivers make everything look contested, the receivers fail to come down with contested passes, and defensive injuries and breakdowns lead to situations where we need an effective passing game. Add to this that Wilson doesn't trust the line and every possible side of the passing game looked miserable against the Cowboys.

For whatever reason half of the posters here have decided that the main problem is in just one of those areas. It's everything and ADB's phrasing is appropriate; every facet of the passing game could use some improvement for our next game.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Pretty simple...

We have an OL that can't block.

A QB who is not making reads (consistently) and refuses to make close throws.

WRs who can't get open and refuse to make a play.

I appreciate Doug's fire, but he's bordering on annoying, as he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror too. This offense is broken. The broken plays that turn into miracles are great, but at some point, we have to be able to function at a conventional level. I never see easy completions. Everything is difficult for this offense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Rob12":281vn5cr said:
SonicHawk":281vn5cr said:
austinslater25":281vn5cr said:
I can't go that far. He was leading the NFL in passer rating before this game and I believe he is still top 5 and that's with the refs hurting his stats a ton in the Washington game. Has he played as well as he can? Obviously not, but he hasn't been bad at all until yesterday. I'm still not sure that a lot of it wasn't his fault. Multiple drops, line issues and not being put in a position to do well with terrible play calling are as much to blame as Wilson.

Because he doesn't throw INTs, because he doesn't throw into any type of coverage.

Passer Rating is easy to game when you throw 4 yard passes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RW's YPA was in the top 3-5 in the NFL last year. It's dipped because Bevell insists on the bubble screens to Harvin that teams now have the blueprint on.

We have to start taking shots downfield, though. Not doing so is killing us. And a bit more protection would be nice.

Take shots downfield to whom though? Lockette? Meh. Baldwin? Ugh. Kearse? Meh.

Golden Tate was that guy last year.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2c7dn38k said:
Rob12":2c7dn38k said:
SonicHawk":2c7dn38k said:
austinslater25":2c7dn38k said:
I can't go that far. He was leading the NFL in passer rating before this game and I believe he is still top 5 and that's with the refs hurting his stats a ton in the Washington game. Has he played as well as he can? Obviously not, but he hasn't been bad at all until yesterday. I'm still not sure that a lot of it wasn't his fault. Multiple drops, line issues and not being put in a position to do well with terrible play calling are as much to blame as Wilson.

Because he doesn't throw INTs, because he doesn't throw into any type of coverage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RW's YPA was in the top 3-5 in the NFL last year. It's dipped because Bevell insists on the bubble screens to Harvin that teams now have the blueprint on.

We have to start taking shots downfield, though. Not doing so is killing us. And a bit more protection would be nice.

Hate to be that guy, but I have to believe that all these sentiments are resonating in the Hawks offices. The Hawks got major problems, and they gotta deal with them now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Harvin can be that guy at least in spots. Where is Richardson? Is he a better option than Walters? Some questions definitely need to be answered over the next few weeks.

rjdriver

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1kq5rig3 said:
Rob12":1kq5rig3 said:
SonicHawk":1kq5rig3 said:
austinslater25":1kq5rig3 said:

What about Percy? He's the fasted dude on the field. I'm getting tired of the cute plays and sweeps. That being said, I missed the game yesterday due to work, but from what I hear RW doesn't have time to allow his receivers to even go downfield. At least that's the consensus I'm getting from .net.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Harvin has never been a deep threat. He's a space guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's not a typical vertical guy but he is capable in the intermediate range as evident last week in Washington and while he was in Minn. So you're right he's not a Rice type receiver but he can open things up and has in the past. He is definitely more than a line of scrimmage receiver. Watch a youtube highlight video. He's much more than we are asking him to be thats for sure. My buddy is a huge Vikings fan who watches the Seahawks and is shocked we don't utilize him a little better down the field.

I also think this is a chance for a guy like Norwood who I think is finally healthy to step up. Richardson too for that matter. It's not like the guys ahead of you are playing lights out. Hoping someone steps up and we get our play calling issues figured out.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If Bryan Walters is part of the gameplan, I'm pretty sure we can play Richardson.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":dzjsvt0k said:
He's not a typical vertical guy but he is capable in the intermediate range as evident last week in Washington and while he was in Minn. So you're right he's not a Rice type receiver but he can open things up and has in the past. He is definitely more than a line of scrimmage receiver. Watch a youtube highlight video. He's much more than we are asking him to be thats for sure. My buddy is a huge Vikings fan who watches the Seahawks and is shocked we don't utilize him a little better down the field.

I also think this is a chance for a guy like Norwood who I think is finally healthy to step up. Richardson too for that matter. It's not like the guys ahead of you are playing lights out. Hoping someone steps up and we get our play calling issues figured out.

The only thing I can think of is the coaches don't want Harvin left open to get torn up, like the Saints game last year. Harvin is a beast, LOOKS for the contact, and won't shy away from it. It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation.
Everyone is saying we gotta ride the Beast, which is true, but we also gotta throw the ball. Our O is going to have to start kicking in soon, it's obvious D can't save them this year. We need to start clock killing drives, it's not sexy, but it's safe. We can be sexy when we are back to 100% or as close to as it humanly possible.

Ozzy

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3kbuxxql said:
If Bryan Walters is part of the gameplan, I'm pretty sure we can play Richardson.

Couldn't agree more!

randomation

Reaction score
Russ didn't play great but I counted at least 3 drops that hit receivers in the hands if not more. The line is also terrible completely terrible and it needs to shore up or russ is going to start hearing footsteps. The Dallas line yesterday isn't even the best in the league and romo still had all day to throw. Receivers are also having major issues getting open this is going much deeper then russ. Also Lynch is awesome but his stats were skewed yesterday he had exactly one run over 5 yards most of them were for 1 or 2.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
austinslater25":22zkv0pk said:
You do realize that Baldwin has more drops than Kearse this year including a TD yesterday?
So If Baldwin makes that catch?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Its an extra 4 pts. You don't think that might of helped late in the game?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1onkqwlv said:
Harvin has never been a deep threat. He's a space guy.
I do not understand what this means. I've seen the guy return a kick off so I know he is capable of sprinting the length of the field faster than any one else on it. Any way teams have to be worried about that possibility so they will back off him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
austinslater25":8ot9a6zg said:
Its an extra 4 pts. You don't think that might of helped late in the game?
Yes I do. 4 more and momentum too. I was just thinking some one maybe should have speaking up to Doug instead of vice versa.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Gotcha, I read that wrong. Sorry about that.