A thought about " Culture "

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why would I have a problem with you responding to it? I don't view these interactions as the slightest bit combative. So when you say "not everything is combative," think about what you are implying—that I believe everything is combative. Really? Okay. Stop pretending you can read minds.

I wasn't using problems or issues as a form of animosity. I utilized them in terms of the discussion. I've been trying to pinpoint your position (maybe a better word?) and how it contrasts with mine. Again, you started the conversation by telling me you don't think a single person said Pete's a bad coach, which is hyperbole, so I tried to zero in on your prior comments to provide a concrete example of what I meant by the term "bad." But man, you go off on so many tangents with implicit assumptions—about what I believe—we lost that thread. And as we untied those knots and got to the core of your position, you made things weirdly personal by reading into my words rather than reading them.

Do you think it’s possible it’s how you word things? I’m not the only one who’s had an issue with you. You just had to apologize to someone else for the same thing.

I didn’t make anything personal. The way you wrote it made it personal which is why I asked and even said if I’m reading it wrong, apologies. So maybe it’s remotely possible how you choose to frame things can be a little weird and come across combative.

Anyway I obviously didn’t mean “not a single person” in the literal sense. I meant I don’t think anyone HERE is arguing that Pete is a terrible coach.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Here's a question: If Pete's culture is overstated and he's not an X&O guy. What exactly kept the Seahawks winning all of these years?

Russell Wilson. Hey, you asked the question, i'm just answering it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Russell Wilson. Hey, you asked the question, i'm just answering it.
Pete himself said he would've been fired a long time ago. People trash Wilson but having an elite QB, and he was for a large stretch of his time here, is a massive advantage. I wouldn't say he was all of it of course but he probably put your floor at 8 wins or so every year.

Strangely the Wilson and Pete situations sort of mirror each other. Russ was great and they appeard to move on from him at the right time. Pete was great and I would argue it appears they are moving on at the right time.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to have a written list of do's and don'ts on the locker room walls and on the inside doors of the shitter stalls vs some invisible ' culture ' ? These dudes aren't mind readers . Keep the culture crap in the white collar section of the organization where it belongs . :)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Here's my opinion:

He created a positive culture that encouraged personal growth and allowing players to express themselves freely without endangering the team.

At least, that's how it started in 2010. Overtime, it seemed like his message either grew stale or fell on deaf ears with the younger generation of players.

Jac

Reaction score
Here's my opinion:

He created a positive culture that encouraged personal growth and allowing players to express themselves freely without endangering the team.

At least, that's how it started in 2010. Overtime, it seemed like his message either grew stale or fell on deaf ears with the younger generation of players.
That's how I see it. No matter what combination of players they tried, he never recaptured that magic (and there was no sign that he was on the verge of doing so next year). It just wasn't working any more, at least to the level of building a SB contender. But that's fine, nobody can ever take away 2013/14 from him or this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think he was talking about the LUKE Wilson interviews.

Edit: I also think his take on what Luke was saying is a bit askew. Although Luke did mention there were things that he (and others) didn’t like, I don’t believe he said or meant the entire “culture”.

I am talking about Luke Willson, thus the two "l's."

Ozzy

Reaction score
Worked wonders for the broncos

We went 9-8 twice in the notoriously easy nfc west.

Russ went 6-8 the year before
But what does that have to do with his prime years in Seattle? Seems a little odd to compare 35 year old Russ to prime Russ in Seattle. Russ was a monster for the Seahawks for most of his time here.

seahawks08

Reaction score
if you want to compete, you need a class organization and a class group starting with Ownership all the way to Executives, Coaches l, GMs and staff. That’s what makes it a desirable place to work and attract talent. The culture of ego less is everyone works in the interest of the organization and there is clear decision makers. Pete took it to another level to let players be who they are and just keep being connected at all times. There is an insane amount of discipline around it. The idea is winning is more likely to happen if all of these are in place so that he can continue to build on winning. I truly believe if we had not lost the Arizona Superbowl, we would’ve have won more. The hangover losing in the last second when winning was an inch away sucks the soul of everyone. We needed a clean start but we still need class of an organization to attract talent.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Worked wonders for the broncos

We went 9-8 twice in the notoriously easy nfc west.

Russ went 6-8 the year before

Yeah he sucked. What was I thinking?

Way to cherry pick the lows by the way. Credit to you.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
But what does that have to do with his prime years in Seattle? Seems a little odd to compare 35 year old Russ to prime Russ in Seattle. Russ was a monster for the Seahawks for most of his time here.

That's what the haters do. It's all they have.

bigcc

Reaction score
Yeah he sucked. What was I thinking?

Way to cherry pick the lows by the way. Credit to you.
How is it cherry picking?

It's literally the only two years without russ, and I took the year literally right before he left, or are we going back over a decade to t-jack and clipboard?

Do you know what cherry picking means?

bigcc

Reaction score
So was carroll

Probably came off wrong but my issue is with carroll slander, I didn't mean to come off as slighting russ, I'm very well aware of what he did for us

chris98251

Reaction score
We had a combination of Players and Coaches that were driven and worked as one together, they all had a chip and were told in so many words they were not good enough, Marshawn for his attitude, Sherman his Size and lack of elite speed, Baldwin, Kearse and others for being Mediocre, the staff all were working with Pete who was supposedly doomed to fasil since he could not win in the NFL. That set the mentality and culture. The coaches were mostly unproven, Gibbs left before we even got started but was here just long enough to pick his brain on the blocking schemes.

That was how we started out, then we started winning, we had a QB in Hass that was a warrior and great example of a professional also.

Winning breeds confidence and we got that, league noticed and rapidly started copying what we were doing. While the NFL league office were doing their best to suspend, fine, and make life difficult for the upstarts in the Northwest. Again more chips and a bigger bond and attitude of we got us. After the first Super Bowl the edge was lost a bit, we lost coaches to other teams and the chemistry was not the same. It all unraveled after the pass in the second Super Bowl and divisions happened that were unrepairable.

bigcc

Reaction score
That's what the haters do. It's all they have.
Lol, you were the one implying carroll was overrated due to russ, aka "Hating", all you do i guess.

I just delivered facts that say otherwise, was I just making them up?

They're both responsible, you're the one who said all russ first

HaTeR

bigcc

Reaction score
We had a combination of Players and Coaches that were driven and worked as one together, they all had a chip and were told in so many words they were not good enough, Marshawn for his attitude, Sherman his Size and lack of elite speed, Baldwin, Kearse and others for being Mediocre, the staff all were working with Pete who was supposedly doomed to fasil since he could not win in the NFL. That set the mentality and culture. The coaches were mostly unproven, Gibbs left before we even got started but was here just long enough to pick his brain on the blocking schemes.

That was how we started out, then we started winning, we had a QB in Hass that was a warrior and great example of a professional also.

Winning breeds confidence and we got that, league noticed and rapidly started copying what we were doing. While the NFL league office were doing their best to suspend, fine, and make life difficult for the upstarts in the Northwest. Again more chips and a bigger bond and attitude of we got us. After the first Super Bowl the edge was lost a bit, we lost coaches to other teams and the chemistry was not the same. It all unraveled after the pass in the second Super Bowl and divisions happened that were unrepairable.
Wow seahawks historian over here lol

It might literally have been around a decade since I last heard Gibbs name, wow

Agree with everything you said btw, great post

EDIT: lucking into the playoffs at 7-9, and getting a win definitely set the stage for guys believing in Pete, wild year

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
How is it cherry picking?

It's literally the only two years without russ, and I took the year literally right before he left, or are we going back over a decade to t-jack and clipboard?

Do you know what cherry picking means?

Yeah I know what it is and it's what you did. To show him in a bad light, you chose to bring up the latter parts of his career instead of his prime and brought up his only losing season in Seattle where he was over the hill and often injured. Why deny it?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fellows:

Cut out the personal comments and cease name calling.

It’s apparent you disagree.

That’s cool, and we here try to respect each other’s views as much as we may disagree with them.