A thought about " Culture "

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Most of us like a positive experience. That is Pete's style-positive. However, winning is the goal. It doesn't matter how the coach gets us there, within reason.

I would argue, going forward, it doesn't matter because we're going to have 80% roster churn the next few years. This is the full rebuild.

I'm a, just win, but I do appreciate positive vibes.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lol, you were the one implying carroll was overrated due to russ, aka "Hating", all you do i guess.

I just delivered facts that say otherwise, was I just making them up?

They're both responsible, you're the one who said all russ first

HaTeR

Not a hater at all. I just gave the biggest reason why Pete kept winning after the Super Bowl years and it's the truth. You brought up the last two seasons of barely above .500 ball with an extra game added to indicate it wasn't Russ and it was Pete. I disagree. Funny enough. Pete also disagreed with you.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fellows:

Cut out the personal comments and cease name calling.

It’s apparent you disagree.

That’s cool, and we here try to respect each other’s views as much as we may disagree with them.

Point taken. We disagree. No big deal. It's all good.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Luke clearly stated why he retired (I think it was KJ's show? Sherman's?). Go find it and tell me again how all the players loved PC's 'culture'. Also find the same for Baldwin. They both clearly articulated that 'culture' was the reason they retired early.
In the KJ interview, Luke implied that it was the culture surrounding RW and the receivers at the time that resulted in his early retirement. I didn't hear him say anything about the culture Pete built.

bigcc

Reaction score
Yeah I know what it is and it's what you did. To show him in a bad light, you chose to bring up the latter parts of his career instead of his prime and brought up his only losing season in Seattle where he was over the hill and often injured. Why deny it?
Because it's relevant?

How else am I supposed to compare the disconnect? I'm supposed to go back over a decade?

Ive seen people bag on Pete for years about his age, why's that ok and not for russ?

Russ is a first ballot ring of honor member and borderline hall of famer (I'd say yes eventually but I'm biased)

I'd say the same for Pete

I'm not cherry picking anything, I just think it's absolutely ludicrous to bag on Pete

bigcc

Reaction score
Fellows:

Cut out the personal comments and cease name calling.

It’s apparent you disagree.

That’s cool, and we here try to respect each other’s views as much as we may disagree with them.
My apologies, just trying to have a discussion sorry if I went over the top

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Russell Wilson. Hey, you asked the question, i'm just answering it.
How'd Wilson do when he went to a team with better overall talent that was just a QB away from competing?

How'd Pete do in a rebuilding year after Wilson left?

RW was holding the team back for years. Pete's biggest failure as a coach was hanging onto RW and allowing RW to undermine the team.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Pete himself said he would've been fired a long time ago. People trash Wilson but having an elite QB, and he was for a large stretch of his time here, is a massive advantage. I wouldn't say he was all of it of course but he probably put your floor at 8 wins or so every year.

Strangely the Wilson and Pete situations sort of mirror each other. Russ was great and they appeard to move on from him at the right time. Pete was great and I would argue it appears they are moving on at the right time.
RW was never elite. At his best, he was above average and propped up by a great team around him.

The Hawks may have moved on from Pete 1 or 2 years too soon. Time will tell.

The Hawks most definitely moved on from Wilson too late. They should have moved on when the Brown's offer was on the table several years earlier.

bigcc

Reaction score
Not a hater at all. I just gave the biggest reason why Pete kept winning after the Super Bowl years and it's the truth. You brought up the last two seasons of barely above .500 ball with an extra game added to indicate it wasn't Russ and it was Pete. I disagree. Funny enough. Pete also disagreed with you.
I brought up the only two seasons of football without Wilson since drafting him, and the season directly before it as a comparison, and mentioning the broncos because it's the only other place he's played.

Didn't realize one year was enough for such a drastic drop off, Yikes

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Define "Culture"

I like Belichick's culture: "Do your job."
And how did that work out for Billy once Tom Brady split the scene, eh?
If I remember correctly, Pete Carroll had more success/wins with his backup QB than Bill did with his.
Point is, their "Culture" and how they ran them, had little to do with why they are both now unemployed.
How much of Bill Belichick's success stemmed from him having one of the GOAT Quarterbacks' playing for him?

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
RW was never elite. At his best, he was above average and propped up by a great team around him.

The Hawks most definitely moved on from Wilson too late. They should have moved on when the Brown's offer was on the table several years earlier.
I don't agree that russ was never elite, got to keep in mind the poverty o-lines and at best slightly above-average receiving corps from top to bottom

Like I said, at the end of the day he's the best qb in franchise history and borderline HOF

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah I know what it is and it's what you did. To show him in a bad light, you chose to bring up the latter parts of his career instead of his prime and brought up his only losing season in Seattle where he was over the hill and often injured. Why deny it?
LOLOLOL Don't like the taste of your own medicine?? LOLOLOLOLOL

keasley45

Reaction score
How'd Wilson do when he went to a team with better overall talent that was just a QB away from competing?

RW was holding the team back for years. Pete's biggest failure as a coach was hanging onto RW and allowing RW to undermine the team.
His bigger failing was over-emphasizing 'fun' and leaning too far into positive reinforcement at the expense of accountability and occasional, direct tough love and disciplinarian leadership.

There are a lot of folks here who keep thinking the culture that John references and Pete built is synonymous with poor tackling this, or missed assignment that... lack of preparation. If you want to read up on how it all applies in the corporate world, browse this:

Pete and John have both referenced Seattle being a Learning Organization. This isn't an accident... not a slip of the tongue. It's a very specific way of building a culture around a series of foundational beliefs. I understood early on what Pete was doing because when he spoke about it, I recognized it through work my firm was doing in resetting the company's culture.

The entire philosophy is built on a few simple cornerstones:

View Topics Building Great Leaders Developing a Learning Culture eLearning Design and Development Instructional Design ELM Learning Updates Neurolearning How Employees Learn Measuring Impact

Developing a Learning Culture

Building a Learning Organization​

By ELM Learning
September 14, 2022

To practice a discipline is to be a lifelong learner. You never “arrive.” The more you learn, the more acutely aware you become of your ignorance.
– Peter Senge
According to the World Economic Forum, the average lifespan of a Fortune 500 company is 40 to 50 years. While many of them are bought, sold, split, or merged, many simply cease to exist—ending years of blood, sweat and tears for a beloved product or cause.
Many succumb because they cling to the status quo; operating using outdated corporate models such as top-down force-feeding of company ideology and practices; doing what’s comfortable or familiar instead of taking risks and challenging the status quo. In fact, there’s a term for this practice: William Samuelson and Richard Zeckhauser introduced “status quo bias” to describe how most of us prefer to stick with what’s familiar.
Companies who shift from the familiar top-down corporate structure to a learning organization model have a better chance of creating an environment of continual growth, risk-taking, continual learning, collaboration—and a better chance of surviving in a very competitive environment.

What is a learning organization?​

A learning organization can be defined as any organization that prioritizes personal and professional growth through knowledge transfer. These organizations encourage learning as part of their fundamental culture and overall vision for long-term success.
Peter Senge, author of The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization, popularized the term “learning organization” in the early 90s.
Senge is an advocate for decentralized leadership, a model in which all people in an organization can work toward a common goal. His Five Disciplines of a learning organization outline how that can happen:
  1. Personal Mastery: In an interview, Senge called personal mastery the “cornerstone” of a learning organization. Personal mastery is the development of the capacity to accomplish personal goals; learning organizations make this possible by creating an environment where employees can, through reflection, develop their own sense of vision—how they look at the world, what matters to them, and what they are passionate about contributing to. Said Senge: “Personal vision is the soil in which shared vision can be grown.”
  2. Shared Vision: A shared vision is only possible in an environment of trust and collaboration instead of compliance to directives from on high. Corporate leadership works together with employees toward a common vision—creating an environment where employees feel heard and are encouraged to take risks.
  3. Mental Models: With a mental model, we understand how our deeply ingrained assumptions and generalizations affect our interactions and decisions. To paraphrase Senge: Understanding the difference between hearing what someone said, and truly understanding what they said, and understanding the gap between what actually happened and what we perceived happening requires reflection. “In a nonreflective environment, we take what we see as truth,” said Senge.
  4. Team learning: Senge says that team learning can only happen when team members are “humble,” when they are willing to reflect and take into account other people’s views, suspending personal biases in order to work as a whole in a collaborative environment.
  5. Systems Thinking: Systems thinking is the idea that we’re part of an interrelated system—not a disjointed set of personal silos; systems thinking addresses the whole and creates an understanding of how parts are interconnected. Senge said, “Systems thinking is a sensibility—for the subtle interconnectedness that gives living systems their unique character” (The Fifth Discipline, p. 69).

None of it has to do with tackling, xs and os, or football specifically. It all has to do with HOW you create the environment for a TEAM to come together and GROW together in a way that elevates both the TEAM and INDIVUDUAL, at the same time.

So all the references to 'Pete let's us be who we are'. That's learning organization fundamentals.

The uncanny bond of the team and LOB thats the hallmark of hawks ball? Learning Organization basics.

Using outside, non traditional sources to inspire and educate? Pete did it all the time during the offseason in particular. Basic Learning Org.

Being based in complimentary football? That's rooted in systems thinking... point 5 above.

That's the culture that needs to be kept. Few organizations are skilled enough to employ it, but the ones that do and do it well are almost universally successful. Why, because it's rooted in what makes human beings go.

Pete just lost his was in enforcing the philosophy of accountability. Plug in a leader who can maintain that and is smart enough and balanced enough to lead the culture and we have a winner.

renofox

Reaction score
Luke on culture change from 2013 to 2021, starts at 1:14:14

Talks about players being sloppy and undisciplined and everybody laughs about it and DGAF. NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

"Worst practice I have ever seen"

"I went home that night and I'm like 'This team sucks, and the culture is awful'".

Paraphrased: If we had this in 2013-15 we would have had a players only meeting and been pissed and held ourselves accountable. In 2021 everybody was all happy and smiling and having a great time even though they were all half-assing it and sucking.

"A team that don't care about winning. It's all about selfish agendas".

Like many here, he gives huge props to PC for.the culture he built. He also gives you his perspective as a player on how the culture devolved into toxicity by 2021. He retired because the culture in 2021 was horrendous.

keasley45

Reaction score

His bigger failing was over-emphasizing 'fun' and leaning too far into positive reinforcement at the expense of accountability and occasional, direct tough love and disciplinarian leadership.

There are a lot of folks here who keep thinking the culture that John references and Pete built is synonymous with poor tackling this, or missed assignment that... lack of preparation. If you want to read up on how it all applies in the corporate world, browse this:

Pete and John have both referenced Seattle being a Learning Organization. This isn't an accident... not a slip of the tongue. It's a very specific way of building a culture around a series of foundational beliefs. I understood early on what Pete was doing because when he spoke about it, I recognized it through work my firm was doing in resetting the company's culture.

By ELM Learning
September 14, 2022

To practice a discipline is to be a lifelong learner. You never “arrive.” The more you learn, the more acutely aware you become of your ignorance.
– Peter Senge

Companies who shift from the familiar top-down corporate structure to a learning organization model have a better chance of creating an environment of continual growth, risk-taking, continual learning, collaboration—and a better chance of surviving in a very competitive environment.

A learning organization can be defined as any organization that prioritizes personal and professional growth through knowledge transfer. These organizations encourage learning as part of their fundamental culture and overall vision for long-term success.
Peter Senge, author of The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization, popularized the term “learning organization” in the early 90s.
Senge is an advocate for decentralized leadership, a model in which all people in an organization can work toward a common goal. His Five Disciplines of a learning organization outline how that can happen:
  1. Personal Mastery: In an interview, Senge called personal mastery the “cornerstone” of a learning organization. Personal mastery is the development of the capacity to accomplish personal goals; learning organizations make this possible by creating an environment where employees can, through reflection, develop their own sense of vision—how they look at the world, what matters to them, and what they are passionate about contributing to. Said Senge: “Personal vision is the soil in which shared vision can be grown.”
  2. Shared Vision: A shared vision is only possible in an environment of trust and collaboration instead of compliance to directives from on high. Corporate leadership works together with employees toward a common vision—creating an environment where employees feel heard and are encouraged to take risks.
  3. Mental Models: With a mental model, we understand how our deeply ingrained assumptions and generalizations affect our interactions and decisions. To paraphrase Senge: Understanding the difference between hearing what someone said, and truly understanding what they said, and understanding the gap between what actually happened and what we perceived happening requires reflection. “In a nonreflective environment, we take what we see as truth,” said Senge.
  4. Team learning: Senge says that team learning can only happen when team members are “humble,” when they are willing to reflect and take into account other people’s views, suspending personal biases in order to work as a whole in a collaborative environment.
  5. Systems Thinking: Systems thinking is the idea that we’re part of an interrelated system—not a disjointed set of personal silos; systems thinking addresses the whole and creates an understanding of how parts are interconnected. Senge said, “Systems thinking is a sensibility—for the subtle interconnectedness that gives living systems their unique character” (The Fifth Discipline, p. 69).

None of it has to do with tackling, xs and os, or football specifically. It all has to do with HOW you create the environment for a TEAM to come together and GROW together in a way that elevates both the TEAM and INDIVUDUAL, at the same time.

So all the references to 'Pete let's us be who we are'. That's learning organization fundamentals.

The uncanny bond of the team and LOB thats the hallmark of hawks ball? Learning Organization basics.

Using outside, non traditional sources to inspire and educate? Pete did it all the time during the offseason in particular. Basic Learning Org.

Being based in complimentary football? That's rooted in systems thinking... point 5 above.

Another HUGE one that factored in to the fall of Pete was the concept of decentralized leadership. Ie empowering a collective to lead. It's smart leadership, but only works if you enforce accountability and choose the right leaders. Pete did neither.

That's the culture that needs to be kept. Few organizations are skilled enough to employ it, but the ones that do and do it well are almost universally successful. Why, because it's rooted in what makes human beings go.

Pete just lost his was in enforcing the philosophy of accountability. Plug in a leader who can maintain that and is smart enough and balanced enough to lead the culture and we have a winner

Ozzy

Reaction score

He was definitely elite by almost any metric used to quantify it so I’ll agree to disagree.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm not going to quote because I don't feel like scrolling through everything for the section, but Luke saying he retired due to toxicity or whatever is hilarious

I've NEVER understood the fascination with the guy he was garbage (this is seahawks slander I'll definitely let slide) , but his last 3 years he started 15 games (8 in det, also played 3 games in bal, 1 catch 12 yards) and caught 22 passes for 178 yards and zero tds

Apologies if he didn't retire due to the culture but if he actually said that, that's hysterical

Ozzy

Reaction score
Luke was awesome in person and seemed like a great guy football aside.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score

By ELM Learning
September 14, 2022

– Peter Senge

Another HUGE one that factored in to the fall of Pete was the concept of decentralized leadership. Ie empowering a collective to lead. It's smart leadership, but only works if you enforce accountability and choose the right leaders. Pete did neither.

Pete just lost his was in enforcing the philosophy of accountability. Plug in a leader who can maintain that and is smart enough and balanced enough to lead the culture and we have a winner
^
<