A Possible dark, dystopian future for the Seahawks

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
While this issue with RW plays out here is a possible worst case scenario that I worry about.

1. RW gets traded. It really doesn’t matter what we get but with the short term salary cap issues it seems like picks would be preferred though we suck at drafting with one exception.

We trade for Darnold or grab Tyrod Taylor.

2. The salary cap issues force us to not sign Dunlap and not be able to resign Adams.

3. With no real upgrade to the offensive line (my worry is based on the past several years) the new QB will get sacked even more than RW - though RW is slowing down and causes a few himself.

4. PC refuses to adjust the system to the talent. Peteball or die! We have a sub .500 year next year. Pete blames everyone but himself and asks for patience and doesn’t retire. Our defense is historically bad. KNJ is finally let go years too late.

5. The draft picks are pissed away. We sign a bunch of over priced end of their career no tread players. We are told that no rookie is any good and we need to wait until a player actually retires before we can judge the pick and all players outside the top 10 just suck so who cares which ones we pick.

5. Another year of sub .500 football and PC finally retires.

Net result? Two years of bad football, the loss of RW, PCs rep suffers since he cannot succeed without RWs heroics.

This is my fear. That we have to lose RW to finally put PC to pasture. PC is not accountable to anyone. And his combination of age and ego has made change unlikely.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's very likely. It's all a very sad, tragic likelihood.

Thankfully, the NFL loves parody. We just need to tank for a couple years, accumulate some draft capitol, get a new coaching staff, and give it another shot in 5 or 6 years.

On the bright side, a few bad years should drop ticket prices so the real fans can get back in the stands.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not at all as dark as it could be.

I predict this happens over 3 years.

Until we get tired of seeing Wilson advance in the playoffs and start to perceive the FO as almost Marineresque.

But you are going to see that.

Pete is going to struggle. People will make excuses for him. So many excuses will be coming....

(Poor Adams, I hope he does not extend here.)

Wilson is going to flourish elsewhere. He will probably become a playoff star.
(Everyone here will be shocked to see him throw over the middle successfully, after swearing it was not possible for years. Half this board will revel in his stumbles like we do with Aaron Rodgers and the other half will sigh at what could have been. But like Rodgers, he will be spectacular and a regular presence in the playoffs.)

We are going to squander at least 2 of 3 picks we get from the trade. And whatever QB we get will be bang average if not worse.

Norton will be gone in 2 years.

And we will miss the playoffs every year we do not have Wilson, for at least the next 4-5 years.

The future is a return to the old Seahawks and a complete end to the legacy of winning that Carroll engendered and Wilson cemented.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Honestly, here is the worst case scenario:

Wilson wins the Superbowl with another team

If that happens, I will hang up my Seahawks jersey and quit. The shame would be too much to bear.

Elemas

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the team. Since way before RW joined. But, the lack of loyalty or willingness to budge is troubling. This is why you have checks and balances that stem from as high as the federal government to your local gas station on the corner. It feels like we have a head coach with unparalleled power within this organization.

I don’t for one second think John and Pete want to fail. But part of me certainly thinks that they trust Pete’s system more than they do the players that comprise it. Think about the first 5 games...would there be talk of a RW trade at that point in the past? He hasn’t lost it folks. The system took over.

There’s one other possibility and I’m sure I’ll get knocked for stating this as you never play to loose. The Jets even screwed that up. But, look at our division. We have two teams that are in the win at all costs phase. Both teams that are likely to fall off very HARD in the next 3 years (One, LA more guaranteed than likely). We also have a damn good AZ team that appears ready to compete sans a few pieces.

With Pete’s age, this is an unlikely scenario but if your running a marathon here and not a sprint, perhaps you’re looking 3 years down the line. Perhaps you respect Russ enough to let him flourish and compete the way he wants on a different team as it won’t happen here. I truly believe he would win a SB in Chicago or NO. Maybe the best case scenario is NFC bottom dwelling until time runs it’s course. Truly bleak but, do any of us fans have us taking the division this next year? With or without RW? I don’t. Maybe you load up on picks and younger talent (I.e., you can keep Mack).

I don’t want this to happen. Our first round picks have been lacking to say the least. I also put this as a 4-12, 5-11 team without RW. I also think we lose the allure of coming to Seattle and eventually can’t resign DK or other high profile athletes. It’s all bad.

I blame this organizations lack of faith in what’s sure to be a Hall of Fame QB. People thinking Russ has lost a step are downright delusional. There were some turnovers, chaos, and as a result....we went right back to the most boring offense possible while disregarding the exceptional talent we possessed. An offense that will get you to the first round and well, that’s about it. How much more example wise is needed to prove this point? That first half offense with that second half defense was SB bound.

I’m a Seahawks fan but, I’ll be hard pressed to show interest in the upcoming season if we let Russ go. While I won’t be taking down but Seahawks themed bar, I will likely be more enthusiastic when one key element is removed. Pete Carroll.
And I’ll definitely watch RW cook, torch, and prove once again that he’s a winner.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well, all those people who insisted this was a 4-5 win team without Wilson will get a chance to be proven right or wrong.

I always thought Carroll could win with anyone at QB because of his system and his defense.

But past few years his system sucked and so did his defense. The only saving grace was Wilson supported him.

The moment he started to drive off Wilson, any support I had for Carroll vanished.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Elemas":2bpcs13j said:
I’m a fan of the team. Since way before RW joined. But, the lack of loyalty or willingness to budge is troubling. This is why you have checks and balances that stem from as high as the federal government to your local gas station on the corner. It feels like we have a head coach with unparalleled power within this organization.

I don’t for one second think John and Pete want to fail. But part of me certainly thinks that they trust Pete’s system more than they do the players that comprise it. Think about the first 5 games...would there be talk of a RW trade at that point in the past? He hasn’t lost it folks. The system took over.

There’s one other possibility and I’m sure I’ll get knocked for stating this as you never play to loose. The Jets even screwed that up. But, look at our division. We have two teams that are in the win at all costs phase. Both teams that are likely to fall off very HARD in the next 3 years (One, LA more guaranteed than likely). We also have a damn good AZ team that appears ready to compete sans a few pieces.

With Pete’s age, this is an unlikely scenario but if your running a marathon here and not a sprint, perhaps you’re looking 3 years down the line. Perhaps you respect Russ enough to let him flourish and compete the way he wants on a different team as it won’t happen here. I truly believe he would win a SB in Chicago or NO. Maybe the best case scenario is NFC bottom dwelling until time runs it’s course. Truly bleak but, do any of us fans have us taking the division this next year? With or without RW? I don’t. Maybe you load up on picks and younger talent (I.e., you can keep Mack).

I don’t want this to happen. Our first round picks have been lacking to say the least. I also put this as a 4-12, 5-11 team without RW. I also think we lose the allure of coming to Seattle and eventually can’t resign DK or other high profile athletes. It’s all bad.

I blame this organizations lack of faith in what’s sure to be a Hall of Fame QB. People thinking Russ has lost a step are downright delusional. There were some turnovers, chaos, and as a result....we went right back to the most boring offense possible while disregarding the exceptional talent we possessed. An offense that will get you to the first round and well, that’s about it. How much more example wise is needed to prove this point? That first half offense with that second half defense was SB bound.

I’m a Seahawks fan but, I’ll be hard pressed to show interest in the upcoming season if we let Russ go. While I won’t be taking down but Seahawks themed bar, I will likely be more enthusiastic when one key element is removed. Pete Carroll.
And I’ll definitely watch RW cook, torch, and prove once again that he’s a winner.

I'm not saying he can't do it, of course he could.

But what proof do we have the Russ can carry a team as the main cog of a Super Bowl winning team?

The few times that everything has been put on his shoulders haaven't gone well.

Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe there were circumstances that got in his way each time.

But this narrative that hes going to go to another team and immediately start ripping off SuperBowls is curious. Based on what?

Maybe the Russ we see (great at times, mediocre at others) is the real Russ, regardless of what team he is on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":315zber1 said:
It's very likely. It's all a very sad, tragic likelihood..

I'd put the "very likely" likelihood of us trading Russell this off season at less than 5%.

I've yet to read about even one trade scenario that comes even close to tempting for Pete and John to pull the trigger on trading their franchise QB in his prime.

Fade

Reaction score
Fun fact: Nearly half of Wilson's INTs were off of receivers hands last season, and 6 would be TD passes were dropped.

I'm just hoping cooler heads prevail. With the Jets owning Seattle's next two 1st rounders it is not the time to start a rebuild. In two years Wilson will have 1 year remaining on his contract. That would be the year to trade him if he is unwilling to do an extension. Franchise tag DK Metcalf and trade him.

The Seahawks can then do their rebuild properly if they have to go that route. They would have about eight 1st round picks in three years, with a tank job mixed in to get high draft pick(s). They could draft a QB, LT, LG, RT, DE, DT, CB, S. All in the 1st round alone. JS could work his magic in the middle and later rounds and find some gems to round out the squad.

Doing the rebuild now would be the Seahawks working for the Jets. Losing a bunch of games only to surrender the picks to the Jets.

So in the meantime Seattle should do what Wilson wants, get him some O-Line and make him happy. They have an absorbent amount of cap space in 2022, use it. Go all in on Wilson the next two years and let the chips fall where they may.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pi5kjgs said:
Jerhawk":1pi5kjgs said:

I'd put the "very likely" likelihood of us trading Russell this off season at less than 5%.

I've yet to read about even one trade scenario that comes even close to tempting for Pete and John to pull the trigger on trading their franchise QB in his prime.

I hope you are right. I think with the current team that RW can win without PC but PC cannot win without RW. But only during the regular season. In the postseason they are 3-5 in the last 6 years. For whatever reason they completely, totally, and utterly suck in the postseason since the Super Bowl loss.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Fade":1d6mhud4 said:
Fun fact: Nearly half of Wilson's INTs were off of receivers hands last season, and 6 would be TD passes were dropped.

I'm just hoping cooler heads prevail. With the Jets owning Seattle's next two 1st rounders it is not the time to start a rebuild. In two years Wilson will have 1 year remaining on his contract. That would be the year to trade him if he is unwilling to do an extension. Franchise tag DK Metcalf and trade him.

The Seahawks can then do their rebuild properly if they have to go that route. They would have about eight 1st round picks in three years, with a tank job mixed in to get high draft pick(s). They could draft a QB, LT, LG, RT, DE, DT, CB, S. All in the 1st round alone. JS could work his magic in the middle and later rounds and find some gems to round out the squad.

Doing the rebuild now would be the Seahawks working for the Jets. Losing a bunch of games only to surrender the picks to the Jets.

So in the meantime Seattle should do what Wilson wants, get him some O-Line and make him happy. They have an absorbent amount of cap space in 2022, use it. Go all in on Wilson the next two years and let the chips fall where they may.

Using logic in the overblown 2021 Wilson saga? Some heads on this board about to explode. Because nothing about this whole thing has been logical.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sure it's possible that a dark, rainy, cold, and sad unproductive period will devolve to the Seahawks if Wilson is traded away. For some here there will be lots of 'I told you so'. this thread would seemingly be attractive to the many Eeyores here, "the sky is falling" stuff ad nauseum.

The team could also have Wilson on the roster and he gets hurt and is out for the season while still being paid $36 million/yr. What then? What if RW is never the same again after his injury? I am worried about replacing Wilson like any sensible person would be, but life goes on. At some point he will need to be replaced. I remain hopeful there can be a resolution of differences between RW and PC, time will tell on that front. Meanwhile this feud fuelled by Wilson's team goes on.

So much of this nonsense that Pete is the devil, the immoveable, intractable, old fashioned, stubborn my way or the highway coach is based upon personal biases against him. The record of this FO since 2010 is exceptional, yet the draft isn't their strongest strength, the number of early wins is very disappointing. The system here is their strength, and it is against that system which has proven itself to be a winning formula. There isn't a fan of the team that wasn't seriously disappointed with the end of this last season, the O became predictable the D still had pass defence problems and Wilson was underperforming the magic we have come to expect from him. The loss against the Rams in the playoffs was simply ugly. Pete wears that but so do lots of others.

There has been a change at OC to go in new direction. We will see if it happens. Being less predictable on O is a good thing so is running the ball effectively to set up a passing game that the timing passes and short routes take the heat off Wilson and forces the D's to stop the two deep safety coverage woes faced because of the predictability of the Schotty schemes.

Pete likes to succeed so I don't see things be a bleak as some here see them to be. The wheels haven't fallen off the team just yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":9t6ctnkk said:
Sgt. Largent":9t6ctnkk said:
Jerhawk":9t6ctnkk said:

I hope you are right. I think with the current team that RW can win without PC but PC cannot win without RW. But only during the regular season. In the postseason they are 3-5 in the last 6 years. For whatever reason they completely, totally, and utterly suck in the postseason since the Super Bowl loss.

What leverage does Russell have to dictate any of this?

He can air his grievances through the media like a petulant passive aggressive child all he wants, the team still has him under contract for three more seasons.

So he has no leverage................and again, no one's given Pete and John a trade scenario even close to what it'd take to trade Wilson at this point in his contract.

Top 5 QB in prime with three more years under contract = AT LEAST 3 top 15 first rounders + another top 10 QB in return.

So if Russell wants out? Then he better start expanding his "I don't want to leave but if I did these are the teams I want to go to" list.

getnasty

Reaction score
More likely that Russell quits whinning. The new OC comes in and makes a few changes to better the situation. Dunlap resigns for less money after hitting the open market. We find a stud OG in 3rd round after trading back like last year. The defense picks up where they left off and we win a superbowl next year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1nsjr77t said:
More likely that Russell quits whinning. The new OC comes in and makes a few changes to better the situation. Dunlap resigns for less money after hitting the open market. We find a stud OG in 3rd round after trading back like last year. The defense picks up where they left off and we win a superbowl next year.

[youtube]w2pxnpArd5A[/youtube]

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Aren't we all Seahawk fans first, Wilson fans second?

Why is it assumed that giving Russ what he wants (whatever that is) automatically makes us a better football team?

Russ may get what he wants, but do fans get what we want with a Russ "controlled" (whatever that means) team?

It appears many of us just make the correlation between letting Russ do things his way and Super Bowl wins......

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":27c9vvs3 said:
While this issue with RW plays out here is a possible worst case scenario that I worry about.

1. RW gets traded. It really doesn’t matter what we get but with the short term salary cap issues it seems like picks would be preferred though we suck at drafting with one exception.

We trade for Darnold or grab Tyrod Taylor.

2. The salary cap issues force us to not sign Dunlap and not be able to resign Adams.

3. With no real upgrade to the offensive line (my worry is based on the past several years) the new QB will get sacked even more than RW - though RW is slowing down and causes a few himself.

4. PC refuses to adjust the system to the talent. Peteball or die! We have a sub .500 year next year. Pete blames everyone but himself and asks for patience and doesn’t retire. Our defense is historically bad. KNJ is finally let go years too late.

5. The draft picks are pissed away. We sign a bunch of over priced end of their career no tread players. We are told that no rookie is any good and we need to wait until a player actually retires before we can judge the pick and all players outside the top 10 just suck so who cares which ones we pick.

5. Another year of sub .500 football and PC finally retires.

Net result? Two years of bad football, the loss of RW, PCs rep suffers since he cannot succeed without RWs heroics.

This is my fear. That we have to lose RW to finally put PC to pasture. PC is not accountable to anyone. And his combination of age and ego has made change unlikely.

We have one of the best cap situations in the NFL! When determining an NFL team’s Salary Cap & it’s available $$$ you must review 3 years at least! Current year, following year, and year 3! You cannot get an accurate analysis of a team’s salary cap situation based on the current year you are in!!!!
Furthermore the type of contracts on the books matter too! Seattle has zero high risks contracts on the books and only 2 large $ contracts on the books!

Only a Genius could build the team Seattle has right now with the massive Salary Cap flexibility it has! This is why Carroll & Schneider got new contracts! Only Geniuses could accomplish what Seattle has accomplished! You guys whine & cry when you don’t realize Franchises could go bankrupt! The NFL will survive because the Networks are terrible business people and will over pay because they’ve made some serious errors in other areas of the businesses but that doesn’t mean individual Franchises are going to survive!

Look at the Rams they have that new Stadium, they’re probably going broke! There only hope is to win and hope it generates revenue! How many times has an NFL Franchise failed in Southern Cal? Chicago is going broke! Chicago beats the Packers the Bears Franchise flourishes because of the multigenerational rivalry marketing/brain washing! NFC west doesn’t have that those rivalry marketing psyops! We are addicted to Super Bowls Cardinal, Forty Niners, and Seahawks! I have no clue what the Rams are! Traveling Gypsies.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3426ymjk said:
JayhawkMike":3426ymjk said:
Sgt. Largent":3426ymjk said:
Jerhawk":3426ymjk said:

What leverage does Russell have to dictate any of this?

He can air his grievances through the media like a petulant passive aggressive child all he wants, the team still has him under contract for three more seasons.

So he has no leverage................and again, no one's given Pete and John a trade scenario even close to what it'd take to trade Wilson at this point in his contract.

Top 5 QB in prime with three more years under contract = AT LEAST 3 top 15 first rounders + another top 10 QB in return.

So if Russell wants out? Then he better start expanding his "I don't want to leave but if I did these are the teams I want to go to" list.
Three possible scenarios:

1. Russ stays Pete leaves
So who should the ownership hire? What if the record is the same or worse after two years? Russ's trade value will be a lot lower. Do you really want to take that risk?

2. Russ leaves Pete stays
The team will suck for a few years, Russ is responsible for 4-5 wins a year. We may have losing seasons. Or we might get lucky and draft a serviceable QB.

3. Russ and Pete both stays
Maintain a working relationship? What if the team sucks next season since NFC has gotten tougher, and we are short on cap and draft capitals. Russ will want out again with lower trade value being own year older ... And gosh what if he suffer an injury?

4. Russ stays Pete leaves
The new HC lead the team deep into playoff despite short on trade and draft capital.

I am convinced trading him now is the way to go. Fire Pete in a season or two if the team rebuild couldn't go anywhere.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Elemas

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1gdo9rsw said:
Elemas":1gdo9rsw said:

I'm not saying he can't do it, of course he could.

But what proof do we have the Russ can carry a team as the main cog of a Super Bowl winning team?

The few times that everything has been put on his shoulders haaven't gone well.

Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe there were circumstances that got in his way each time.

But this narrative that hes going to go to another team and immediately start ripping off SuperBowls is curious. Based on what?

Maybe the Russ we see (great at times, mediocre at others) is the real Russ, regardless of what team he is on.

I don’t think he’ll go into a team like Chicago and start winning SBs left and right. Being the top dog out of 32 teams is no easy task. But, given an offensive game plan similar to that of what we saw earlier on this season, I can’t help but think he’ll flourish.

Too many other factors to guarantee a SB win. But he WILL, without a doubt, turn a team that’s on the verge into a contender. Not many other players can do that...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":tfid23r5 said:

I completely agree with this post. I'd say as well that Wilson's team needs to stop rocking the boat and he needs to sit down with the team to attempt to find common ground. Exorbitant cap space would be nice.