A more positive idea for us all.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jyj6u939 said:
Well, this is dot negative. One of the few places where some people actually seem bummed that they won the game. Or they feel the need to downplay it. Every time they win. Because that never gets old :irishdrinkers:
If the Rams or Cards won 31-7, this board would be full of people bowing to the greatness of those teams.

And you're somehow uplifting this board with this ray of sunshine post? Some people really need to look in the mirror while they're up there preaching from their soapbox...

hawker84

Reaction score
Aros":3rif1fbv said:
Sgt. Largent":3rif1fbv said:
I've never adhered to the "Pete's wasting Rusell's career" narrative.

A QB that's in the top 5-10 in every statistical category year after year, has won more games than any other QB in NFL history through his first 10 years, has already won a SB and is on his way to putting on a gold jacket?

Not. Being. Wasted.

Doesn't change the fact that many fans including myself would like to see a coaching change, for various other reasons other than some crazy narrative that he's wasting Russell's career.

- Coaching hires
- stubborn allegiance to predictable outdated schemes, philosophies and playcalling
- Terrible in game clock and adjustment
- Poor drafts
- Poor trades
- Poor player development

All very real reasons to want Pete gone. Wasting Russell's career? No.

This.

I agree with most if this. However besides the gold jacket, it's about winning super bowls plural... all that other stuff is icing on the cake. It's in that sense I feel Pete Carroll is wasting his career. Because he's not putting the pieces together around him he needs to get this team back there..

It's all about championships and legacy for these guys.

Nobody wants to be a Jim Kelly, or Charles Barkley, Ken Griffen Jr. HOFers who had great careers, but no championships. They want to be the Jordan's, and Brady's, and Derek Jeter's of their sport. Legends...

hawker84

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":24o4wvsy said:
TwistedHusky":24o4wvsy said:
Those 2 SBs were over a decade ago.

Has he done anything but made the wildcard since? Look at the playoff victories we do have.

There is reason I expect nothing from Pete in the future.

Tell me Orange, as a coach, what does Pete do well?
What does he do poorly?

Start with that.
Russell was a part of those. You can't pretend like they didn't happen. You can't change history to fit your preferred narrative and expect people to take it seriously.

Pete does what head coaches are paid to do better than most, win games. You can disagree with the how and wish for a flashier product, but you can't deny the wins

Wow, that's just not an accurate statement at all. Quite the contrary actually. He may get the wins on paper, but it's certainly not because of him, more so it's in spite of him. Without RW, this team would be a .500 at best team over the last 7 years...

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
hawker84":2j1e6n0q said:
OrangeGravy":2j1e6n0q said:
TwistedHusky":2j1e6n0q said:

Has he done anything but made the wildcard since? Look at the playoff victories we do have.

What does he do poorly?

Start with that.
Russell was a part of those. You can't pretend like they didn't happen. You can't change history to fit your preferred narrative and expect people to take it seriously.

Pete does what head coaches are paid to do better than most, win games. You can disagree with the how and wish for a flashier product, but you can't deny the wins

Wow, that's just not an accurate statement at all. Quite the contrary actually. He may get the wins on paper, but it's certainly not because of him, more so it's in spite of him. Without RW, this team would be a .500 at best team over the last 7 years...
What is a football teams' job every Sunday?

hawker84

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2kpp3b68 said:
hawker84":2kpp3b68 said:
OrangeGravy":2kpp3b68 said:
TwistedHusky":2kpp3b68 said:

What does he do poorly?

Start with that.

What is a football teams' job every Sunday?

Have they been? What's the record again? More importantly What's their playoff record since 2014 under Pete?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Without Wilson, Carroll would likely be a little bit better than a .500 coach. But that is it.

Carroll has always struggled with things that most coaches in the NFL do decently well, but he does excel at putting better athletes on the field. He then counterbalances that with a combination of incompetent coordinators, nepotism, or both.

That has been his MO since USC. It has not changed.

He is a great motivator and he sees/taps greatness in others. This is why I think he did so well with Lynch. No I don't think he got lucky. That was Carroll tapping greatness again.

The problem is that Carroll is a horrific delegator, a horrific Xs & Os guy, and a meddler. His need to control things prevents even his effective people from contributing effectively.

And he has ALWAYS had challenges with hiring poor coordinators, from back in the USC days.

So you can see the issues, once the greatness has been tapped he loses his value quickly. Especially because his value to those great players has a shelf life. After a while, he gets tuned out - if not worse.

You could easily argue that Carroll opened the door to Wilson's greatness, maybe even facilitated it, but that once tapped we are better served having an effective tactical and strategic coach to better leverage his strengths.

Worse, he isn't even finding, delivering, or tapping greatness anymore. So his upside is gone because that is almost literally the only thing he does well.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iejzzmw said:

What does he do poorly?

Start with that.

So, after the 2005 SB loss to the Stealers, I'm guessing that you were glad to see Mike Holmgren gone, eh?, I mean, after having inarguably the best in the League LT, & LG (both HOFers) tandem that Seattle had EVER seen, Matt Hasselbeck, Mack Strong, & Shawn Alexander's talents get wasted, without even so much as a glimpse at another Super Bowl appearance?
All Or Nothing, is pretty unrealistic.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Another SB win is almost certainly unrealistic.

Another SB is pushing it with this roster.

But teams with top 5 elite QBs and well-regarded rosters should expect to reach a conference game 2x in 5 years.

We haven't been able to win a division game in near 10. Not comparable to Holmgren.

BTW Why would anyone blame Holmgren for failing to win a SB when it was the league that prevented him from winning it?

Now Ruskell? I hated him. Probably irrationally. But I wanted him gone the moment he screwed up the Hutch deal. Even before that really.

I prefer defense so it took a while to warm up to Mike but he did a great job considering what he had to work with.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22g9a473 said:
toffee":22g9a473 said:
Talk about wasting once in lifetime QBs. Would you consider Drew Brees one of those? How about Aaron Rodgers? Steve Young? so on and so forth, Kenny Anderson was pretty good too, let's not talk about Marino, were their career all wasted by their head coaches? But they all have to be, how about all these HOF, once in lifetime QBs didn't win more? Bunch of Ahole coaches all failed to design systems to help these QBs win more.

I've never adhered to the "Pete's wasting Rusell's career" narrative.

A QB that's in the top 5-10 in every statistical category year after year, has won more games than any other QB in NFL history through his first 10 years, has already won a SB and is on his way to putting on a gold jacket?

Not. Being. Wasted.

Doesn't change the fact that many fans including myself would like to see a coaching change, for various other reasons other than some crazy narrative that he's wasting Russell's career.

- Coaching hires
- stubborn allegiance to predictable outdated schemes, philosophies and playcalling
- Terrible in game clock and adjustment
- Poor drafts
- Poor trades
- Poor player development

All very real reasons to want Pete gone. Wasting Russell's career? No.

I see that there is some issues with some of what your talking about but I don't think it justifies firing Pete...

this has been my point that nobody has defended about the draft...for 12 years the Hawks have been in the bottom part of the draft... why should anybody expect this team to be competitive? that means that most of the NFL teams have a chance to draft better players than the Hawks which puts the Hawks in the position to take chances on guys like DK, McDowell, Taylor... sometimes they hit some times they don't... some of the 1st round picks the Hawks have made didn't pan out but that's true for most teams...

I'm frustrated with the Hawks for not loading up on Offensive lineman because I believe if your protect Wilson he is going to be spectacular... games are won and lost in the trenches and that's an area the Hawks need to be better...

and I'm not seeing that Carroll is poor at player development... look at the way he is bringing along Brooks and Taylor and Brown... what about Poona ford? Sometimes the draft choices get beat out by FA... case and point Neil and Reed... that's a competition thing... the JA trade people don't like well I think its to early to make that call lets see what you think of the trade in 2 years from now... maybe your right maybe not... but its not enough IMO to justify firing Pete IMO... lets see how the rest of the season goes and then we can talk about Pete at the end of the year when things are more clear of how good this team is...

Just my take

LTH

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
chris98251":yq7lkc04 said:
MyrtleHawk":yq7lkc04 said:
Since there's a lot of negative things about the Seahawks, how about we stop beating a dead horse on the topics that have been said over and over again (i.e. Fire PC, Trade Russ, etc)...

How about we try to analyze the positive aspects and good parts of our team/games?

I mean, surely not every player on the team sucks, and surely even if coaching sucks on any side of the spectrum, at least one or more players look good, right?

Just something that was on my mind tonight. Feel free to flame me as a glass full kinda guy if you want. Just getting a little tired of all the negative talking points being said over and over again.

As for the last game, it was so refreshing to see an onside kick returned for a touchdown. I absolutely enjoyed that, and what a nice surprise that it was Homer doing it too!

Keep your heads up, guys. We can only be so bad before we start being good again.

You really don't know us very well do you, we have seen it as bad as it can get, Trucks pulling into Anaheim, we know it can always get worse.
Yep. The franchise was in shambles under Ken Behring's ownership. I still remember watching Chris Warren on the news at a players only practice in LA and all excited about the move lol. Damn that would've sucked

Latest posts