A few thoughts and observations on Wilson

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
At this point, it appeared that Russ had problem with concepts of arithmetic, he won't benefit from a MIT level math professor which he has one now, he could use an elementary school teacher though.
I'm kind of thinking that Russell Wilson is not as dedicated to the game as he tries to make it seem. The dude looks like a middle aged bar crawler right now, not a football player. Also, you can put in all of the hours you want on something, but if you stay in your comfort zone you never grow.

Wilson stayed in his comfort zone. He never learned how to play the game and it looks like he never cared to learn how to play the game the right way. His play is and has always been very self-indulgent.

I'm mad at myself for blaming it all on Carroll at this point. I was a huge Russ detractor early on, but after 2015 I thought "okay I was wrong". How he played always looked odd to me. Offenses never had any consistency and they could never sustain long drives. From quarter to quarter they always were super uneven.

I also always found him extremely fake, something about him didn't sit right with me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that is what I have trouble with the most, after all of these years of being what many would have labeled a Russ "Fan Boy". I adored the man. He seemed oozing with high character while being this incredibly prolific player...A winner. Now, it seems that his facade is being unravelled and his disingenuousness cannot be denied or ignored. I used to believe Sherman and other former players were simply sour grapes. Now I realize there was some serious fire to their smoke.

At the end of the day, this is merely sports. Entertainment. I will never wish ill will on anyone let alone a player for my team that helped bring so much joy and even a Championship to us. Watching him in his heyday (20's) was magic. I will never take away what he brought to our fanbase for the better part of a decade. He WAS fun to watch! He WAS electric! He WAS a magician at times!

But alas, all good things do come to an end eventually. While his career is not over, this chapter has been pretty horrific for him, his Yes People (Team3 or whatever he calls it), his agent, his family...

I will welcome him home to be inducted into the Ring of Honor when that time comes, and who knows? Perhaps he may still end up in Canton.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm kind of thinking that Russell Wilson is not as dedicated to the game as he tries to make it seem.

I think he's still dedicated to the game, he's just not as smart as he thinks he is.

Russ has always had a hard time reading defenses and processing, he's relied on his savvy and escapability to find windows to see his receivers, usually off script.

Line calls, protection shifts, going through progressions, getting the ball out on time (especially inside receiver windows).......all things every single one of Russ's coordinators and coaches have tried to get him to identify and realize.

But Wilson either can't do these things, or refuses to admit there are big holes in his game. Thus the same issues rearing their ugly heads in Denver that were problems here.

Hyak

Reaction score
Unless he puts together an MVP season with another SB in the next couple of years, the stench of his Broncos tenure will kill all of his "legacy" goals....He'll go down as the most overpaid QB of all time and the centerpiece of the biggest lopsided trade in NFL history. No way he makes the HOF without having some massive redemption season or two.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'm kind of thinking that Russell Wilson is not as dedicated to the game as he tries to make it seem. The dude looks like a middle aged bar crawler right now, not a football player. Also, you can put in all of the hours you want on something, but if you stay in your comfort zone you never grow.

Wilson stayed in his comfort zone. He never learned how to play the game and it looks like he never cared to learn how to play the game the right way. His play is and has always been very self-indulgent.

I'm mad at myself for blaming it all on Carroll at this point. I was a huge Russ detractor early on, but after 2015 I thought "okay I was wrong". How he played always looked odd to me. Offenses never had any consistency and they could never sustain long drives. From quarter to quarter they always were super uneven.

I also always found him extremely fake, something about him didn't sit right with me.
I always suspect that Russ wasn't book smart, I based my speculation on his college choice. He's an athlete for baseball and football, he has legacy at an ivy league school (father went to Dartmouth). His sister with the same pedigree when to Stanford, Russell? After high school, he went to North Carolina State, which is very light weight when it comes to academic (#72 on USNews) or admission acceptance (46%), no much of a football school either, and he has no family tie to NCS. All speculation with no proof of course. If he had the grades, he could have gone to Stanford which is no worse than NCS football wise, but lightyears ahead prestigious and academic prowess. And it's not like he didn't have anyone to advise him on that, his father went to an ivy league school.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
This is what I keep coming back to, too. He’s right in that part of the film where Mr T has publicly handed him his bits and Apollo Creed is yet to show up.

I have no idea who Apollo Creed is in this analogy though.
Analogies are good for illustrative purposes, but most analogies break if you push them too hard.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Some people keep saying that Russ needs a better coach to help him to reach his potential. I think that to a degree, this is true. However, some aspects of the position - though they can be taught - rely upon the inherent ability of the player. And for Russ...if this were math, he'd be failing long division, let alone algebra. And he's failing after claiming to have studied more than anyone else. If that's the case, getting a MIT level instructor isn't necessarily going to help. Some guys can succeed at xs and os. Others simply cant.
Maybe he has ADD or ADHD perhaps?He may just be a dumb jock trying to be smart?
If he has a narcissistic personality disorder then he can't be helped,look at all the OC's
and QB coaches he has had.
Whatever it is it's something because after 11 years and all that supposed film study we
don't see much of anything better after losing the speed to escape and create.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
But if he continues to operate under the self delusion that he's Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning where he wants everything to run through him?

Then Denver and Russ are in for 4-5 more years that look EXACTLY like this.

Naw, if Wilson continues to be even half this bad, they'll cut bait in 2026 (three more seasons after this one) with "just" $31M in dead money. If he continues to be as bad as this year (or gets even worse 😬), they might take the $49M of dead money to get the $8M or so of cap savings to start over in 2025 (two more seasons after this one).

If Wilson's performance improves from its current bottom-quarter-of-starters level, he might get 4-5 more years. But if he continues to believe he's in the same category as Manning and refuse to be shackled by some kind of copy of what's unfairly been called Peteball (it was what Carroll had to do in order to minimize the damage to the team from Wilson's limitations), he'll only last 2-3 more, and then I doubt he'll even be an NFL starter after that. And since I don't think he's going to be interested in a backup-QB salary, I doubt he'll be in the NFL at all.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Naw, if Wilson continues to be even half this bad, they'll cut bait in 2026 (three more seasons after this one) with "just" $31M in dead money. If he continues to be as bad as this year (or gets even worse 😬), they might take the $49M of dead money to get the $8M or so of cap savings to start over in 2025 (two more seasons after this one).

If Wilson's performance improves from its current bottom-quarter-of-starters level, he might get 4-5 more years. But if he continues to believe he's in the same category as Manning and refuse to be shackled by some kind of copy of what's unfairly been called Peteball (it was what Carroll had to do in order to minimize the damage to the team from Wilson's limitations), he'll only last 2-3 more, and then I doubt he'll even be an NFL starter after that. And since I don't think he's going to be interested in a backup-QB salary, I doubt he'll be in the NFL at all.
May be an actor after playing football?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

RW looks human here, like a fully dialed in PLAYER and not a pr master.

Russ today would monotonally list off names on the offense and say “good job.” Then he’d look right into the camera and thank viewers for inviting him into their living room or something corny like that.

Sherm is still Sherm. But Russ isn’t the guy that’s in the above video anymore.

keasley45

Reaction score

There was an article just this week that speculated that they might be willing to cut bait after next year if things dont improve... Huge Cap hit, but honestly, whats the difference if you cant win? its not like starting him is going to make the financial burden any less if he sucks and team morale is in the toilet.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncs offered us sf’s first rounder for next year and maybe a third in 2024 for Lockett, then go all in on recruiting dan Quinn as hc, who would bring schotty as oc.

If you’re stuck with Russ, all you can do is try to build the Seattle he succeeded with around him.

Latest posts