5th round, Pick #171, Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas

pehawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1qc0z2ca said:
JSeahawks":1qc0z2ca said:
cesame":1qc0z2ca said:
jake206":1qc0z2ca said:
He slows down to hit the hole...not good, he'll get tackled in the backfield instantly.

My first impression as well

Are you guys sure youre watching the right Alex Collins?

For real... I feel like we're watching different players.

That explains alot. For whatever reason I heard "Jackie Collins" and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Kept comping to Shaun Alexander.

Alex Collins is a bit different. Thanks.

cover-2

Reaction score
cesame":3vl9ih6z said:
cover-2":3vl9ih6z said:
cesame":3vl9ih6z said:
Hate his running style

Also this

Credited with just five broken tackles over his last 475 carries.

MEH

Five broken tackles over 475 carries is just straight up wrong. If you don't like the pick, no need to make up false stats.

Go read it on his nfl.com profile page then

Well, take a look at one of his games and or at least his highlight tape and you'll see that he had more than 5 broken tackles. Collins is not Lynch, but he sure is heck isn't finesse going down on first contact kind of RB.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wow. I'm really worried about Rawls now.

Collins is the polar opposite of Prosise. Wide base, choppy slasher with decent speed, but not that top gear. I like the Lacy comparison.

If Rawls is not good to go to start the season, I'm a lot happier with these RB picks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1nbgat3k said:

Collins is the polar opposite of Prosise. Wide base, choppy slasher with decent speed, but not that top gear. I like the Lacy comparison.

If Rawls is not good to go to start the season, I'm a lot happier with these RB picks.

I wouldn't be worried about Rawls. Collins screams a BPA pick.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
cesame":3vhk7mrn said:
jake206":3vhk7mrn said:
He slows down to hit the hole...not good, he'll get tackled in the backfield instantly.

My first impression as well

Exactly what I was thinking. His tendency to dance in the backfield will translate to tackles for a loss in the NFL. I'm sure good coaching can fix that, however.

I like (not love) the pick for the reasons already expressed. Great value where we got him!

sutz

Reaction score
Just for the record, saying he plays a bit like Marshawn, or that he resembles Marshawn's style does not mean that he will produce like Marshawn. In just those short clips shown here, I could see a bit of Marshawn-like moves and performance, along with the kind of reckless abandon and the determination to make positive yards. All good stuff, but he'll have to play like that for several years and produce some monster numbers to anoint him as the "next" Lynch, though.

Looks like a good addition, IMHO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While Rawls had an outstanding season before he got hurt last year, it's not a given that he'll have the same this season so having some options, like Collins and Prosise, helps. It's the "compete" way. Seahawks are very deep at rb on paper. I like it!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hasselbeck":3h0s3ozn said:
bigskydoc":3h0s3ozn said:

I wouldn't be worried about Rawls. Collins screams a BPA pick.

Yep. And if we can get a mini-beastmode in the process, that's a double score. More I see, more I like this pick. He's a bit shifty, has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and tries to pick up that extra yard when tackled.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SEAHAWG":10mwrxne said:
The fumbles were early in his career, he really improved since, and especially this season.
Watched him play every game this season,(I am a Razorback fan), (since the 60's).
Right on. He looks good to me. Do you think we got a good player, what is his ceiling?

TwilightError

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2xto2imo said:
If we ever need 4th and 25 converted, we got it covered.

[youtube]Y6X6bM71HEc[/youtube]

(Unrelated: I wouldn't mind Brandon Allen in the 6th)

Ha ha. That was fun to watch.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":rvggemt2 said:

That's another example of him slowing down to hit holes. Dancing will get him killed in the pros.

HawkGA

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3vxc3xwd said:
HawkGA":3vxc3xwd said:
HATE. THIS. PICK.

Does him being from Arkansas have anything to do with that?

Arkansas . . . . the only state in the Bible.

Noah stepped off the Ark and saw . . .

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":18acmtui said:
HawkGA":18acmtui said:
HATE. THIS. PICK.

Why? Best player available, incredible value, incredible production. Love it at this juncture. Absolutely love it.

The position. 2 RB's? A position that you can actually pretty easily find a good player in the undrafted free agent market because nobody values running backs anymore. Actually this pick is probably okay, it makes me hate the earlier one even more.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkGA":1trsrdh1 said:
Maelstrom787":1trsrdh1 said:
HawkGA":1trsrdh1 said:
HATE. THIS. PICK.

Why? Best player available, incredible value, incredible production. Love it at this juncture. Absolutely love it.

The position. 2 RB's? A position that you can actually pretty easily find a good player in the undrafted free agent market because nobody values running backs anymore. Actually this pick is probably okay, it makes me hate the earlier one even more.

I like that we picked up a good 3DRB prospect as well as a good high-carry guy who produced for depth. I think they fulfill very different roles and we desperately needed some depth, so picking up two backs who fulfill different roles is something I like a lot.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":sr3664us said:
Hasselbeck":sr3664us said:

That's another example of him slowing down to hit holes. Dancing will get him killed in the pros.

I don't see the dancing tendency on that play. He slowed down after getting the 1st, with 4 defenders and a blocker in front of him, likely looking for an opening that never happened.

Not saying he doesn't dance...

sutz

Reaction score
When I hear "dancing/hesitating" I think on a running play, after the handoff and before he gets to the LOS. That vid shows two pass plays and a QB keeper. :laugh:

Timmahawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2837ecbi said:
Timmahawk":2837ecbi said:
Love both this and the Prosise pick.
I love this pick/Prosise not so much..Collins reminds me of Beast but faster..Wow

Except Lynch ran a 4.46 40, so def not faster.

Prosise pick I love because of the versatility and hasn't taken the beating like a lot of other RBs coming out have. Lots of tread on the tires and athletically grades out as a top 3 back in this draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
Prosise seems like a pure 3rd down situational pick now, developed into a more every down back, Collins is our physical back, guys that will be short yardage and guy that will platoon and give Rawls a break or vice versa. The hesitation and or dancing will quickly be coached out of him by Cable, the guy goes forward not sideways like many backs do that dance. Decisiveness and cut and go can be done with reps.