49ers trading for OT Johnathan Martin

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":o7v48opm said:
Thats actually not true.

Players that are cut by their former team and then signed do not factor into the Comp Pick formula. The only players that count toward that formula are players whose contracts have expired and sign a contract elswhere.

I thought Adamtj13 had figured out that this is true for players lost but not players gained, meaning a cut doesn't go into your formula, but provided he makes the team and is above the salary level a FA is a FA is a FA for who you bring in (e.g. If the Bucs cut Revis they don't get credited for losing him in the formula, but once he's a FA he counts against the team that signs him in the formula).

I could of course be wrong about this, though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1m1ra5my said:
Marvin49":1m1ra5my said:
Thats actually not true.

Players that are cut by their former team and then signed do not factor into the Comp Pick formula. The only players that count toward that formula are players whose contracts have expired and sign a contract elswhere.

I thought Adamtj13 had figured out that this is true for players lost but not players gained, meaning a cut doesn't go into your formula, but provided he makes the team and is above the salary level a FA is a FA is a FA for who you bring in (e.g. If the Bucs cut Revis they don't get credited for losing him in the formula, but once he's a FA he counts against the team that signs him in the formula).

I could of course be wrong about this, though.

As I understand it, they don't count at all. IE...the reason why Niners are usually more interested in players cut by their former team than players whose contracts have expired.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The problem I would see for the 49ers is having to "walk on egg shells" around this guy to not upset him and hurt his feelings.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
i love how everyone assumes whoever we pickup via FA is going to be our starter.

Although nothing would be as funny as having Martin block for Gabbert..

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":1b223u2g said:
Laloosh":1b223u2g said:
They're too busy being completely aghast at the signing... posting stuff like this:

aldon-smith1-12-9-12.gif

But wait....Aldon Smith is only good because of Justin Smith, right? RIGHT!?!

Poor Jonathan. He's never seen that train before. :D
Looks like Smith gets doubled in that play. Your point?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":a45oq27e said:
i love how everyone assumes whoever we pickup via FA is going to be our starter.

Although nothing would be as funny as having Martin block for Gabbert..
I don't think anybody is assuming Martin will beat out Davis or Staley. But if they get hurt, and this jabroni is your depth, buy the Costco size tissue box. jk.

I know it was a smart move. No risk at all. Also, San Fran actually fits what Martin did in college, like Stanford the Niners run narrower splits than most teams, so if Martin can succeed anywhere it will be SF.

As a Seattle fan, I like the move, mostly for the jokes.