49ers trading for OT Johnathan Martin

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2lwwisiu said:
WOW Baalke really doesnt like Harbaugh does he?

You're not the only one to have this thought. This and the Gabbert trade feel like sabotage.

Either that or Harbaugh's ego is so big he thinks he can successfully reclaim both players.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3jkj6ovk said:
UK_Seahawk":3jkj6ovk said:

You're not the only one to have this thought. This and the Gabbert trade feel like sabotage.

Either that or Harbaugh's ego is so big he thinks he can successfully reclaim both players.

Actually....its probably exactly the opposite. It sounds more like Baalke and Harbaugh are singing Kumbayah?

Why? They traded for a QB Harbaugh liked coming out of the draft. They traded for a guy who played for Harbaugh at Stanford. If you look at the Wells report, Harbaugh has a very high opinion of Martin. They also made a play and were outbidded for Toby Gerhart, another ex-Stanford player who played for Harbaugh.

We'll see if any of these moves work out, but it almost looks like they are working in concert more than they have in the past. That may or may not be a good thing.

I'm not the only one noticing this BTW, most of the 49er beat writers have said the same thing on Twitter.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2rxk8yp6 said:
They're too busy being completely aghast at the signing... posting stuff like this:

aldon-smith1-12-9-12.gif

But wait....Aldon Smith is only good because of Justin Smith, right? RIGHT!?!

Poor Jonathan. He's never seen that train before. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3m3uspy5 said:
Laloosh":3m3uspy5 said:
They're too busy being completely aghast at the signing... posting stuff like this:

aldon-smith1-12-9-12.gif

Only you, could try to put a 49er spin on it that would only be funny to a Niner fan.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wm20kbu said:
Sarlacc83":1wm20kbu said:
UK_Seahawk":1wm20kbu said:

Actually....its probably exactly the opposite. It sounds more like Baalke and Harbaugh are singing Kumbayah?

Why? They traded for a QB Harbaugh liked coming out of the draft. They traded for a guy who played for Harbaugh at Stanford. If you look at the Wells report, Harbaugh has a very high opinion of Martin. They also made a play and were outbidded for Toby Gerhart, another ex-Stanford player who played for Harbaugh.

We'll see if any of these moves work out, but it almost looks like they are working in concert more than they have in the past. That may or may not be a good thing.

I'm not the only one noticing this BTW, most of the 49er beat writers have said the same thing on Twitter.

I was just thinking, "so this is what happens when Harbaugh gets his way?"

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":11e5h65o said:
brimsalabim":11e5h65o said:
I don't think the niners actually gave up any thing in the "trade" did they? I guess his old college coach might be able to motivate him to play better.

He wasn't good in Miami though. People forget that the whole bulling situation began as a misguided attempt to tuff this marshmallow up. Miami's line play improved with out him.

The issue could have been mental though I guess. Maybe his college coach can get him playing to potential. If not they can cut him. I think all they gave up was a potential compensatory pick right?

No essentially it's a free tryout. Conditional 7th in 2015 if he's on the roster this year I believe...so not a bad move at all

Thats where I'm at.

Its a 7 in 2015 (and they already have 2 of them) only if he makes the final 53 this year. He's making a non guarateed 800K and just over 1 mil next year.

He has a history with Harbaugh. He was talented enough to be a 2nd round pick. You try him and if it doesn't work out, you lose nothing.

He is probably competing right now with Adam Snyder.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1nlj8tkd said:
Marvin49":1nlj8tkd said:
Sarlacc83":1nlj8tkd said:
UK_Seahawk":1nlj8tkd said:

I was just thinking, "so this is what happens when Harbaugh gets his way?"

Maybe. :D

Bottom line tho, The reaction over here is pretty funny to the 49ers giving up very little for 2 players that used to be highly regarded just to see if they can make something of them. Its not like they broke the bank or traded a bunch of picks and 16 million dollars for a guy you were going to release the next year. SMH....Tampa.

At the end of the day, the worst scenario is Gabbert still sucks so you are out a 6th round pick in a draft where you have 12 picks and that martin doesn't make the team and you are out...NOTHING.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2tqjssjm said:
Marvin49":2tqjssjm said:
Laloosh":2tqjssjm said:

aldon-smith1-12-9-12.gif

Only you, could try to put a 49er spin on it that would only be funny to a Niner fan.

Why thank you. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":atw27v14 said:

Bottom line tho, The reaction over here is pretty funny to the 49ers giving up very little for 2 players that used to be highly regarded just to see if they can make something of them. Its not like they broke the bank or traded a bunch of picks and 16 million dollars for a guy you were going to release the next year. SMH....Tampa.

At the end of the day, the worst scenario is Gabbert still sucks so you are out a 6th round pick in a draft where you have 12 picks and that martin doesn't make the team and you are out...NOTHING.

Be honest, you guys just brought Martin in to make Kaepernick look "tuff"...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":38spr4vm said:
Marvin49":38spr4vm said:

Be honest, you guys just brought Martin in to make Kaepernick look "tuff"...

LOL.

Actually, I am not surprised AT ALL by the move.

If you actually read some of the Wells Report, Harbaugh kinda telegraphed it.

Brahn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":cqem061s said:
brimsalabim":cqem061s said:
I don't think the niners actually gave up any thing in the "trade" did they? I guess his old college coach might be able to motivate him to play better.

He wasn't good in Miami though. People forget that the whole bulling situation began as a misguided attempt to tuff this marshmallow up. Miami's line play improved with out him.

The issue could have been mental though I guess. Maybe his college coach can get him playing to potential. If not they can cut him. I think all they gave up was a potential compensatory pick right?

No essentially it's a free tryout. Conditional 7th in 2015 if he's on the roster this year I believe...so not a bad move at all

An NFL starting OT with experience for a conditional 7th?

That right there is a deal regardless of the outcome. Low risk High reward.

Smart move, it balanced out the Gabbert trade.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Brahn":247btkwg said:
-The Glove-":247btkwg said:
brimsalabim":247btkwg said:

Yeah I don't see him doing much of anything though. His mental health issues go beyond the bullying. I hope he is getting it all worked out, but he really lost it when he struggled and got demoted. In the NFCW, he's gonna have to face some crazy pass rushes if he steps foot on the field

Brahn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":g0s3nbcb said:
Brahn":g0s3nbcb said:
-The Glove-":g0s3nbcb said:
brimsalabim":g0s3nbcb said:

Yeah I don't see him doing much of anything though. His mental health issues go beyond the bullying. I hope he is getting it all worked out, but he really lost it when he struggled and got demoted. In the NFCW, he's gonna have to face some crazy pass rushes if he steps foot on the field

Many people change jobs but keep the same title and see vast increases in happiness and work effort. Then again they also have the benefit of doing so outside the public eye. Also once lawyers are involved the story can sometimes change from what the original party wanted due to how the lawyer thinks it will work out.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3twdi8b6 said:

Now instead of getting bullied in the locker room it will be on the field.

Actually, might be a good move for depth. As we know, losing a line player can play hell with a QB. Niners have plenty of picks to waste and if he works out it would be a more than fair trade.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Brahn":qqs8al4i said:
-The Glove-":qqs8al4i said:
Brahn":qqs8al4i said:
-The Glove-":qqs8al4i said:
brimsalabim said:

Many people change jobs but keep the same title and see vast increases in happiness and work effort. Then again they also have the benefit of doing so outside the public eye. Also once lawyers are involved the story can sometimes change from what the original party wanted due to how the lawyer thinks it will work out.

True...but one thing his history hints to is when the going gets tough, he gets the hell out of there and takes his ball home crying to mama. Like I said, I hope he's gotten things under control cause no matter what I say, mental health is no joke

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Martin probably won't work out, but low risk. It is good move really. The Gabbert trade is strange. I wouldn't want him around takin up space on a bench

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Part of what's going on here is that the 9ers have too many picks, and the guys taken with these later round picks have a VERY low probability of making the team.

Instead of just accepting this, they're using these picks in a very clever way.

For example, many people made fun of the 9ers for trading a 6th rounder for Boldin when he was going to be cut. Even if Boldin had totally sucked though, it was still a great play. Because they traded for Boldin and didn't sign him as a FA he didn't enter the comp pick formula; if they had waited for him to be cut under the comp pick formula they wouldn't be getting a 3rd or 4th rounder for Goldson this year, they'd get nothing. At the end of the day they gave up 1) a 6th round pick for 1) Boldin (no FA competition) and 2) a 3rd or 4th rounder this year (due to the retained comp pick in the formula which only takes into account FAs and not trades).

It's likely the same thing is going on with a conditional 7th trade for Martin and 6th trade for Gabbert. Both these guys were going to be cut, but giving throwaway lower picks for them preserves comp picks next year for Whitner and Brown, which will be of higher value than the picks given for these guys.

Basically, by trading picks for these guys and not signing them as FAs the 9ers get an upclose look at them and get to convert the pick they traded into a better pick the next year too. It would be a smart strategy even if they had NO INTENTIONS AT ALL of these guys ever making the team.

Folks here can make fun of the 9ers all they want, but you can't deny the strategy.

(FWIW if I had to guess this sounds more like Paraag Marathe than Baalke or Harbaugh. I'd guess the scheme is Marathe's, the players their targeting with the scheme are Harbaugh's (you can give him whomever he wants because you're still getting more in return even if the guy sucks), and Baalke is the one facilitating it.)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2w6if7hl said:
Part of what's going on here is that the 9ers have too many picks, and the guys taken with these later round picks have a VERY low probability of making the team.

Instead of just accepting this, they're using these picks in a very clever way.

For example, many people made fun of the 9ers for trading a 6th rounder for Boldin when he was going to be cut. Even if Boldin had totally sucked though, it was still a great play. Because they traded for Boldin and didn't sign him as a FA he didn't enter the comp pick formula; if they had waited for him to be cut under the comp pick formula they wouldn't be getting a 3rd or 4th rounder for Goldson this year, they'd get nothing. At the end of the day they gave up 1) a 6th round pick for 1) Boldin (no FA competition) and 2) a 3rd or 4th rounder this year (due to the retained comp pick in the formula which only takes into account FAs and not trades).

It's likely the same thing is going on with a conditional 7th trade for Martin and 6th trade for Gabbert. Both these guys were going to be cut, but giving throwaway lower picks for them preserves comp picks next year for Whitner and Brown, which will be of higher value than the picks given for these guys.

Basically, by trading picks for these guys and not signing them as FAs the 9ers get an upclose look at them and get to convert the pick they traded into a better pick the next year too. It would be a smart strategy even if they had NO INTENTIONS AT ALL of these guys ever making the team.

Folks here can make fun of the 9ers all they want, but you can't deny the strategy.

(FWIW if I had to guess this sounds more like Paraag Marathe than Baalke or Harbaugh. I'd guess the scheme is Marathe's, the players their targeting with the scheme are Harbaugh's (you can give him whomever he wants because you're still getting more in return even if the guy sucks), and Baalke is the one facilitating it.)

Thats actually not true.

Players that are cut by their former team and then signed do not factor into the Comp Pick formula. The only players that count toward that formula are players whose contracts have expired and sign a contract elswhere.

With Boldin there was a trade Market. Another team offered a 7. Don't know the deal yet on Gabbert or Martin.

Latest posts