30 years ago

Atradees

Reaction score
Rick Mirer played alot of football for not playing any football. He was a clipboard king. He was the ungolden boy; the unmontana. The internet says he is a wine entrepreneur now. Ima rum and coke entrepreneur like my cat.

Last edited:

Maulbert

Reaction score
The last time we drafted a quarterback in the first or second round was thirty years ago when we picked Rick Mirer

Mind boggling
We haven't really bottomed out since then. The only top prospect that we have had a chance to draft and passed up was Mark Sanchez in 2009, unless you count everyone passing on Drew Brees in 2001, who was the concensus #2 QB in that draft. Last year, Young, Stroud, and Richardson were all off the board before we took Witherspoon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was thinking about a game at the Kingdome vs. the Packers. We were sitting in our seats and asking each other: "who the hell is he throwing it to?"

And we did that a LOT with Mirer. You sometimes couldn't actually figure out what he was trying to do.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
I so bought the Mirer hype. I actually have a Mirer gold plated rookie card.

I'm open to offers. Best so far is a half a bottle of HRD Gin and two Slim Jims (circa 1989).
Dont feel bad. I have an autographed jersey. Damn him hahaha

RiverDog

Reaction score
I once heard Steve Raible talk about Rick Mirer and why he was never able to take the step from a successful CFB quarterback to the pros. He said that the Seahawks had "dumbed down" the offense in Mirer's first season specifically to give Mirer a longer learning curve, which explains his very good rookie season. But once they tried to expand the offense out of the very simplistic edition that had been adjusted for Mirer's benefit, he couldn't keep up. Raible didn't use the dreaded "D" word to describe Mirer, but it was obvious from the interview that Raible's opinion was that Mirer was stupid.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
I so bought the Mirer hype. I actually have a Mirer gold plated rookie card.

I'm open to offers. Best so far is a half a bottle of HRD Gin and two Slim Jims (circa 1989).
So an open bottle of Wild Irish Rose is probably out… I get it… take the best deal.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Off topic but 30 years ago today Kurt Cobain committed suicide. Hell I’m old.

On topic, just like Forrest Gump’s momma said…Life is like a box of chocolates…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Interesting how we've been one of the best franchises of the last 2+ decades despite that.

I'm tellin' ya. It's all about the organization. Quarterbacks are mostly a product of environment. You get a guy with the right demeanor, decent field vision, and an NFL arm and put him into a situation that is conducive to his development and you don't need to enter the depressing phugoid oscillation of cycling through taking expensive prospects that never reach their potential.

It's all about the quarterback, but the key is you don't look for a quarterback to elevate your team - you look to elevate your quarterback with your team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hasselbeck to Russ to Geno isn't a fluke. Those quarterbacks being their best here and not being as good elsewhere isn't a fluke. It's the environment. It's nurture more than nature.