3 Days!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are not stoked about the M's at all. But, 3 days until Baseball season. Bring it on. I'm still going in cautiously optimistic and hope to be wrong about their chances this year. Go M's. 24/7 365. I love baseball, that will never change. I know going in what to expect. Them being ALMOST good enough. It is what it is, and I'll be here pulling for them, watching on tv, listening on the radio etc. It's what I've done since 77, and that won't stop. I'm sure I'll be called a fool, an idiot blah blah blah. But it's a new season, and I'm ready for it.

Not Sorry.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Fun, probably useless fact I learned while looking at ST records but hopefully a sign to come or a switch that’s been flipped on with all the off-season focus:

M’s led both ST leagues in Runs Scored with 202 in 28 games (7.21 avg) next closest was SFG with 185 in 27 (6.85), LAD with 134 in 21 (6.38), BAL with 183 in 29 (6.1), TOR with 181 in 30 (6.03), OAK with 169 in 28 games (6.03) MIL with 183 in 31 (5.90) and DET with 170 in 29 (5.86). Per MLB.com.

Last edited:

Steve Hawk

Reaction score
I am always pumped for the baseball season to start. I think if they can stay relatively healthy (Polanco, Garver and Haniger) we may have a really good line up.
The key to this season is to STAY HEALTHY!

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Big time. Not enough depth to have too many injuries. The pitching will always keep them in games.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I know there's a rational explanation for it, but it still baffles me how many players get injured playing baseball. Like, you swing a bat, you run, you throw a ball, and you catch it. wtf are they doing to get injured?

sutz

Reaction score
I know there's a rational explanation for it, but it still baffles me how many players get injured playing baseball. Like, you swing a bat, you run, you throw a ball, and you catch it. wtf are they doing to get injured?
I know you're not really serious (are you ever? :)) But I'll offer a few things that contribute.

1. The sheer number of games. There is no real recovery time once the season starts. It's a continuous 5-6 games a week for six months. Everybody gets tired, and tired players are more prone to injury.

2. The start-stop nature of the game, where everybody is standing around until the ball it pitched, followed - possibly - by a few seconds of intense, rapid movement. Intense strains are put on joints and ligaments, and often there are sudden changes of direction if a player guesses wrong and tries to correct.

3. There are numerous occurances of violent collisions. While seldom "intentional" like in football or hockey, they are still violent.

4. Like in most sports, the human body is not really built for what they are trying to do. Throwing a 95-100 mph fastball, or trying to twist the wrist and forearm on a 90 mph slider while maintaining pinpoint accuracy is not something that natural evolution has designed the human body to do. Hell just "swinging" a bat at a pro level pitch puts stresses on the arms and upper body down through the hips and into the legs. And missing the ball often hurts more than hitting it.

5. And oh, they should probably require pitchers to wear some kind of head protection, or more with those 100 mph liners coming off the bat at them.

Yeah, it's perhaps harder than it looks like from the comfort of your couch. ;)

Crizilla

Reaction score
Major League bats are heavy. Sliding. Diving. Getting hit with a pitch. Etc. Also pitchers throw really hard. What an NFL QB goes through with their arm is peanuts compared to a MLB pitcher.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Like I said...I know there is a rational explanation for it. Just making fun of baseball.

Good explanations, though. I feel educated now.