2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Warren trying to lose us the game, need to come away with a win here.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Servais pulled LeBlanc who was only at 80 pitches on a night he'd cruised through 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and no runs... Now a run is in and the bases are loaded with 1 out. :pukeface:

Overall I like him, he's a young manager and will get better but he's been really bad at managing a pitching staff so far in his young career.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":27kpkk2i said:
Servais pulled LeBlanc who was only at 80 pitches on a night he'd cruised through 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and no runs... Now a run is in and the bases are loaded with 1 out. :pukeface:

Overall I like him, he's a young manager and will get better but he's been really bad at managing a pitching staff so far in his young career.

I really don't care for how Servais manages the bullpen, which is pretty much all a baseball manager does. He gives guys way too long of a leash in the pen. I would have pulled Warren after the four pitch walk, if not that then after the double.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2e9pl392 said:
DJrmb":2e9pl392 said:

I really don't care for how Servais manages the bullpen, which is pretty much all a baseball manager does. He gives guys way too long of a leash in the pen. I would have pulled Warren after the four pitch walk, if not that then after the double.
Problem with that is they didn't have anyone up and throwing so they couldn't. That's part of the reason for the challenge on the hit batter, they had to give time for someone to get loose. All could have been avoided if he just would have let Wade finish out the 7th...

DJrmb

Reaction score
And now it's a tie game with still only 1 out. Wade doesn't get a win after pitching his azz off. Smh

Terrible management.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
DJrmb":s9ky8xuu said:
And now it's a tie game with still only 1 out. Wade doesn't get a win after pitching his azz off. Smh

Terrible management.

I’ve always thought he was terrible. Anyone on 710 ESPN and 950 KJR praise him like he is the greatest. I can’t stand him. No small ball, pulls starters way too early, always changing the lineup...

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":3hk8ew7j said:
DJrmb":3hk8ew7j said:

Terrible management.

I’ve always thought he was terrible. Anyone on 710 ESPN and 950 KJR praise him like he is the greatest. I can’t stand him. No small ball, pulls starters way too early, always changing the lineup...

That's a little harsh. You have to remember this is his first stint managing at any level of baseball... Small ball is dead in most all of baseball, no one really plays it anymore, especially in the AL. Can't really blame that on Servais as it's more an organizational decision/direction. For his struggles and mistakes you have to admit that his players play hard for him and that they're having fun, playing loose, and seem to be a really close knit team. I'm a firm believer that the ability to build good chemistry like that can help a team win, and even overachieve their talent (as poor chemistry can cause a team to underperform).

All that said, he needs to learn how to manage a pitching staff or he needs to hire someone that can, and have the balls to give them full reins (no overriding from Servais).

Crizilla

Reaction score
I wonder if Servais takes too much advice from Manny Acta. No clue why LeBlanc was pulled that early. Good job in the later innings by the pen to keep it tied. Colome has been lights out lately.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Wade averaging 84.7 pitches per start. He was at 82. His career high in innings was 100, he is at 113.

Again it wasnt Servais fault. Blame the players who are paid to get 2 outs without allowing 3 runs. Simple as that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1noyarmc said:
Wade averaging 84.7 pitches per start. He was at 82. His career high in innings was 100, he is at 113.

Again it wasnt Servais fault. Blame the players who are paid to get 2 outs without allowing 3 runs. Simple as that.

I disagree. I haven't been one to bash Servais and I actually feel like he's doing a fine job overall. However, pulling LeBlanc when he did was a mistake (one he's made a few times now). They all know guys are going to have to surpass career highs, and they knew that at the trade deadline when they decided not to bring in a starter. Paxton, Gonzales, and LeBlanc are all going to go over their career high in innings and pitches. If they're going to limit guys because of what they haven't done in the past then they needed to trade for a starter. By not trading for a starter you're committed to riding these guys out. Which means getting the most you can out of them.

If it was simply about the pitch count numbers then why even put LeBlanc out there in the 7th at all? Why not just let Warren start that inning fresh? LeBlanc clearly had more in the tank which is why he got put out there in the 7th to begin with. In my opinion, he made a knee jerk reaction when LeBlanc gave up a hit because he doesn't know how to read when guys are done or not yet.

As for the BP guys taking blame, I completely agree on Warren. He was up with plenty of time to loosen up and get ready and deserves some of the blame for getting no one out. Duke got rushed in there though because of poor BP management again. Servais should have been getting someone ready to come in as soon as Warren went in, just in case. Duke wasn't up and throwing until Warren gave up two runs and hit a batter... They then had to burn a challenge to try and give Duke some time in the BP to warm up and brought him in not fully ready...

Anyway, I believe Servais will only get better as he learns on the job and as he becomes more and more familiar with some of these guys. Lets not forget they've had quite a bit of guys moving in and out over the past couple seasons not giving him much time to really learn his guys.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hey, did you guys notice they ended up winning yesterday? Figured you guys must have missed that part since there was literally not a single mention of it but lots of complaining about poor management.

True story. Healy came up big in the top of the 12th to drive in Haniger and then Diaz got his MLB leading 42nd save to end it. It was pretty exciting.

I'd bet a lot that if Servais had left LeBlanc in after that hit in the 7th and and things went down hill, lots of people would be criticizing him for not pulling LeBlanc soon enough.

Sometimes pitchers/relievers make mistakes or have a bad outing. It doesn't always have to come down to "terrible management" because everything didn't go perfectly. Especially on a night where we won.

sutz

Reaction score
Chapow":p00rman9 said:
Hey, did you guys notice they ended up winning yesterday? Figured you guys must have missed that part since there was literally not a single mention of it but lots of complaining about poor management.

True story. Healy came up big in the top of the 12th to drive in Haniger and then Diaz got his MLB leading 42nd save to end it. It was pretty exciting.

I'd bet a lot that if Servais had left LeBlanc in after that hit in the 7th and and things went down hill, lots of people would be criticizing him for not pulling LeBlanc soon enough.

Sometimes pitchers/relievers make mistakes or have a bad outing. It doesn't always have to come down to "terrible management" because everything didn't go perfectly. Especially on a night where we won.
Yeah, they won. Cool story. The thing is, they did some of the same old stuff. Tons of guys left on base. 1 for 11 or so with RISP. The pitching doesn't bother me half as much as that. When Servais pulled LeBlanc, they should have been up by 3 or 4 runs more than what they were.

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":1ua7wkel said:
Chapow":1ua7wkel said:

Yeah, they won. Cool story. The thing is, they did some of the same old stuff. Tons of guys left on base. 1 for 11 or so with RISP. The pitching doesn't bother me half as much as that. When Servais pulled LeBlanc, they should have been up by 3 or 4 runs more than what they were.

My bad. Who cares about the win when there's things to complain about. :|

Looks to me like the M's are 14th (out of 30) in team batting avg with RISP in MLB at .250. Sure, it would be nice if they could improve on that, but it's not like (slightly) above average is terrible.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/st ... order/true

Sometimes it seems like people genuinely don't realize that leaving lots of runners on base is very common in baseball.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sure they ended up winning, against one of the worst teams in baseball... Wow. :2thumbs:

The problem is if they don't fix mistakes like they made last night they won't win those same games against real competition. The goal is to make the playoffs and right now they'd be out... It's foresight, just because they won doesn't mean they are playing well.

DJrmb

Reaction score
On another note Felix has a siiick curve ball tonight. That swing by Beltre was hilarious!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Friggin Felix! Get him the heck off this team! I don't know what else Dipoto and friends need to see. It's been obvious for 3 years that he's a shell, and at this point, it's more than obvious he will not adjust. The last thing this team needs is this cull dragging them down during the stretch run. Enough is enough.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think this is the last game we see Felix start this season, and could possibly be his last game with the Mariners. I don't see how they can continue to put him out there with how he has looked. He is arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball. You know what is worst than paying a really bad baseball player? Paying him and playing him.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3vky5frl said:
I think this is the last game we see Felix start this season, and could possibly be his last game with the Mariners. I don't see how they can continue to put him out there with how he has looked. He is arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball. You know what is worst than paying a really bad baseball player? Paying him and playing him.
He's an a**hole. He knew what he had to do tonight due to the foolishness of Servais last night, and he's not getting it done, per usual. I'm sick of it. If this isn't his last game as a Mariner, then this regime is absolutely not committed to putting a winning product on the field.