2014/15 Champion's league

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":to5chxqm said:
My only reaction to Liverpool's XI is "What the f*** is Rodgers thinking?"

I'm expecting Liverpool to be halfway back to Merseyside before halftime. They are gonna get run over by a freight train tonight.

read above soccer genious..

is someone under the impression that Gerrard, Henderson, Balotelli were going to somehow make a bigger impact on this match than Can, Lallana and Borini?

Shockingly, if you take out the "names"... this team has better balance in the midfield and on the wings than the one that played at Anfield or Newcastle.

(and yeah... we are probably going to get run off the pitch, but atleast I can watch it without having to watch Gerrard lose his mark and Balotelli struggle to move 5 yards into space for a ball... i mean f--- it, atleast this is intriguing)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1fo2bfjq said:
Gatehawk":1fo2bfjq said:

I'm expecting Liverpool to be halfway back to Merseyside before halftime. They are gonna get run over by a freight train tonight.

is someone under the impression that Gerrard, Henderson, Balotelli were going to somehow make a bigger impact on this match than Can, Lallana and Borini?

Shockingly, if you take out the "names"... this team has better balance in the midfield and on the wings than the one that played at Anfield or Newcastle.

(and yeah... we are probably going to get run off the pitch, but atleast I can watch it without having to watch Gerrard lose his mark and Balotelli struggle to move 5 yards into space for a ball... i mean f--- it, atleast this is intriguing)

The thing that get's me is that the starting line up cost over 100 million. A big criticism of rodgers at Reading and Swansea was that he get's the best out of players he inherits but his signings can be questionable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1dxkirua said:
Uncle Si":1dxkirua said:
Gatehawk":1dxkirua said:

The thing that get's me is that the starting line up cost over 100 million. A big criticism of rodgers at Reading and Swansea was that he get's the best out of players he inherits but his signings can be questionable.

His signings (and a complete failure to replace the attacking energy of Suarez) are under a great deal of scrutiny.

I dont mind buying younger players. i dont mind the players he brought in. But it needed to be supplanted by 1-2 players who would instantly pick up the slack of losing Suarez. He didnt.

This lineup for me is more of an indictment on the failures of the players left off. Honestly, is Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Balotelli, Lovren more deserving of this night at the Bernebeau than Can, Markovich, Lallana, Toure and Borini?

Honestly, i'm more pissed we are still in a lone striker set up than a diamond 2 than I am about Gerrard, Balo, Lovren sitting.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2fef2eac said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2fef2eac said:
Uncle Si":2fef2eac said:
Gatehawk":2fef2eac said:

His signings (and a complete failure to replace the attacking energy of Suarez) are under a great deal of scrutiny.

I dont mind buying younger players. i dont mind the players he brought in. But it needed to be supplanted by 1-2 players who would instantly pick up the slack of losing Suarez. He didnt.

This lineup for me is more of an indictment on the failures of the players left off. Honestly, is Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Balotelli, Lovren more deserving of this night at the Bernebeau than Can, Markovich, Lallana, Toure and Borini?

Honestly, i'm more pissed we are still in a lone striker set up than a diamond 2 than I am about Gerrard, Balo, Lovren sitting.

Would a good director of football work? Rodgers is a good coach and can get the best out of players, signings being his achilles head. If someone was to do that for him would that work? Or would he not accept that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
To be honest I feel every football club should have a director. No idea why Liverpool have not implemented the position. There was talk of it when Dalglish was in his second stint, but who knows to what extent. The manager position is too terminal to allow sole decisions of player personnel, transfers, development and academy etc. to just the one position. A director can lead the transfer philosophy, and if the right relationship is established, act as both a point person and buffer for the manager.

We are owned by two baseball minds. It would be nice if they employed more of the same structural philosophy to the club that they do to the player purchases to be honest.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":24ykxm02 said:
Been a more respectable display tonight than the home tie, that's for sure. might be able to nick a point here. I'd be chuffed with that.

Despise losing....but no loss in the effort. Does it pave the way to getting something from Chelsea?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Based on tonight could do...

Moreno Toure Skrtel Manquillo
Gerrard
Lallana. Coutinho
Sterling
Borini Balo

Drop the 433 and back to a 4 diamond 2

Gatehawk

Reaction score
How I feel right now, specifically towards the referees

Orton-RKO-Rollins.gif

A missed blatant offsides on Anderlecht's first goal triggered the collapse and really I can't be pissed off at the players more than I am at the refs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You can't be pissed at the players for blowing a 3 goal lead at home to lowly Anderlecht more than a ref for maybe missing an offside call?

Dedication to the product there...

Still...Sanchez...

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lmq6p90a said:
You can't be pissed at the players for blowing a 3 goal lead at home to lowly Anderlecht more than a ref for maybe missing an offside call?

Still...Sanchez...

I'm just about as pissed off at the players as I am at the referees. To me, that missed call was the turning point in the match.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Chelsea drew to a team they should've obliterated, probably should've lost as Maribor missed a guilt edge chance after going up 1-0. Manchester City completely imploded and are now last in their group. Suddenly, that draw to Anderlecht isn't as frustrating to take now, still upset about how Arsenal drew.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":babbra3f said:
Uncle Si":babbra3f said:

Still...Sanchez...

I'm just about as pissed off at the players as I am at the referees. To me, that missed call was the turning point in the match.

horrible defending on that penalty is what change that game around

and I guess I would feel the same about your result or city or Chelsea if it was in league but for Champions League I think I'd prefer as many English teams moving on as possible not the opposite

City though...awful

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":q95bv5lr said:
Gatehawk":q95bv5lr said:
Uncle Si":q95bv5lr said:

Still...Sanchez...

horrible defending on that penalty is what change that game around

and I guess I would feel the same about your result or city or Chelsea if it was in league but for Champions League I think I'd prefer as many English teams moving on as possible not the opposite

City though...awful

The way things are going, it's gonna end up as Arsenal and Chelsea going through, Liverpool end up in the Europa League and Man City go out completely.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Still see Liverpool getting through. They have a far easier schedule. Basel home to Real and a way to Liverpool. Reds at Ludo and home to Basel.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Sanogo scored a competitive goal for Arsenal
Tumblr inline ne7fbyG3s61r46928

What a way to qualify for the round of 16. And with the 2-0 win Arsenal can still win the group if results fall in their favor on the final matchday.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2id5q36g said:
Another classic 'win or go home' game at Anfield tonight. Not happy with the team selection, but it is what it is. Would like to see Borini and Markovic both get a chance tonight, as well as lallana. And just as I type this, Basel have scored. Christ on a cracker.

walked away right after that. team selection was awful.

im ready to move on from Rodgers. if he cant sort it out then so be it

Seabhac

Reaction score
........should be a Europa League Thread here soon.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":5bg5h5ns said:
SomersetHawk":5bg5h5ns said:
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody typical of Liverpool. Score one to give us all hope, have several near misses, then the game ends and we're out of the CL. I hate how predictable everything always is this season.

Europa's not to be sneezed at, ask Chelski fans...