2014/15 Champion's league

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mkx6529 said:
without a doubt... and Liverpool arent blazing at the moment. Basel has handled United in the past and can easily do some damage.

i do see Real getting no less than 16 of 18 points to be honest.

I don't think it's too out there to say Madrid will go perfect in the group stage.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2d0kf18j said:
Uncle Si":2d0kf18j said:
without a doubt... and Liverpool arent blazing at the moment. Basel has handled United in the past and can easily do some damage.

i do see Real getting no less than 16 of 18 points to be honest.

I don't think it's too out there to say Madrid will go perfect in the group stage.

I see them fielding a less than full squad away to Basel or Liverpool at some point.

Smurf

Reaction score
I can't seem to find united in any of the groups...anyone know why?

:-:)-:)-:)-:)-:)-(

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Liverpool's draw:

LFC v Ludogrets 16th Sep
(20 Sep - West Ham (A))
Basel v LFC 1st Oct
(4 Oct - WBA (H))
LFC v Madrid 22nd Oct
(25 Oct - Hull (H))

Madrid v LFC 4th Nov
(8 Nov - Chelsea (H))
Ludogrets v LFC 26th Nov
(29 Nov - Stoke (H))
LFC v Basel 9 Dec
(13 Dec - Man United (A))

League Games after CL in ((

Fell quite nicely really... just the @ Madrid then Chelsea week that looks terrible

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":184zewvg said:
Smurf":184zewvg said:

United? Oh, that mid-table club. Yeah, apparently they didn't qualify this season. I wasn't really paying attention to them, how are they doing so far this year?

Pretty decent. We have one point out of 6. We should be able to avoid relegation.

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ld4fl0w said:
Smurf":1ld4fl0w said:
peachesenregalia":1ld4fl0w said:
Smurf":1ld4fl0w said:

United? Oh, that mid-table club. Yeah, apparently they didn't qualify this season. I wasn't really paying attention to them, how are they doing so far this year?

Pretty decent. We have one point out of 6. We should be able to avoid relegation.

Anything above 17th is gravy :thirishdrinkers:

Thats the truth bro.

OP
OP
M

MB12

Reaction score
In regards to group H, and Donetsk, I can't see them getting out the group. Their form has suffered due to the war currently taking place there. A number of players have left the club on loan or do not want to play. There is no way that UEFA allows a game to be played at the Donbass Arena, which actually was hit by a bomb recently.

My prediction for Group H is Porto winning it with Athletic coming second--though I think BATE will surprise a number of people.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":20lg96dm said:
Uncle Si":20lg96dm said:
Liverpool's draw:

LFC v Ludogrets 16th Sep
(20 Sep - West Ham (A))
Basel v LFC 1st Oct
(4 Oct - WBA (H))
LFC v Madrid 22nd Oct
(25 Oct - Hull (H))

Madrid v LFC 4th Nov
(8 Nov - Chelsea (H))
Ludogrets v LFC 26th Nov
(29 Nov - Stoke (H))
LFC v Basel 9 Dec
(13 Dec - Man United (A))

League Games after CL in ((

Fell quite nicely really... just the @ Madrid then Chelsea week that looks terrible

Couldn't agree more. If we can get 7 points from those first three matches, we're all but assured of qualifying. Yeeeeoooo!

after RM's disastrous display on the weekend I dont think I'm ready to grant them 4 to 6 points against any of the Group B sides

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal has to travel to Istanbul on the final matchday in the groups. Not looking forward to it unless the group is locked up beforehand.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1kjxar1x said:
Not able to watch any of the matches, but from what I'm reading, Ludogorets are staying organized and stubborn. Need Coutinho and Sterling to step up and carve them up.

We look poor...disjointed, and a bit nervous to be fair. credit ti Ludo.. but come on..

not much different than the Villa game

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2dkfzyzz said:
Uncle Si":2dkfzyzz said:
peachesenregalia":2dkfzyzz said:
Not able to watch any of the matches, but from what I'm reading, Ludogorets are staying organized and stubborn. Need Coutinho and Sterling to step up and carve them up.

We look poor...disjointed, and a bit nervous to be fair. credit ti Ludo.. but come on..

not much different than the Villa game

Lallana seems like he's not up to par. Have we overpaid for a one-year wonder again? I hope not. Really opening my eyes to just how important Studge is to the team going forward.

Bit early on lallana.. 2nd game after two months off. We've seen this from Liverpool before. Last year as well...

45 to sort it out

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":25dwlpee said:
Crazy. 3 points though. All that matters in the end.

Dear lord. More questions than answers...but 3 points and on we go

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I am so upset and disappointed that I'm not even the least bit angry... does that even make any sense? Cause I don't even know.

I can sum up that match in one sentence: Not even remotely close to being near half way decent enough. Hell the 3 nightmare away games had better performances than that. Dortmund was always gonna be difficult, but that was like a walk in the park for them.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":zzyiyrwl said:
Gatehawk":zzyiyrwl said:
I am so upset and disappointed that I'm not even the least bit angry... does that even make any sense? Cause I don't even know.

I can sum up that match in one sentence: Not even remotely close to being near half way decent enough. Hell the 3 nightmare away games had better performances than that. Dortmund was always gonna be difficult, but that was like a walk in the park for them.

To quote Colin Firth's character in the original "Fever Pitch":

"You cant remember if life's shit because Arsenal are shit or if it's the other way round."

Still a lot of football left to play in the group stages, Gate. Arsenal should at least qualify from that group, and Dortmund are a bloody good side.

I obviously know that. It's good that Galatasaray and Anderlecht drew, it takes some sting out of the loss. Really we lost to the team that we'll likely fight for top spot. But we can NOT play like that in the other 5 games, if we do, we might not even get 3rd.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2xg0t9s4 said:
Gatehawk":2xg0t9s4 said:
I obviously know that. It's good that Galatasaray and Anderlecht drew, it takes some sting out of the loss. Really we lost to the team that we'll likely fight for top spot. But we can NOT play like that in the other 5 games, if we do, we might not even get 3rd.

No argument there, mate. I didn't see the match, but just looking at the stats, it paints a pretty grim picture.

The stats don't show that Dortmund probably should've scored 5 times before they actually did.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tough one for sure Gate. Best maybe Dortmund's looked in a couple years. Not to pick on players (because the whole group just looked overwhelmed...it happens sometimes) but Ozil? Again... Just looks poor. Kind of how Coutinho looks for us

I do think Wenger wanted to play though, even away, even to a great Dortmund side. Credit there. Arsenal will be fine and I think he knew that when he put his squad together. Loss wasn't devastating...

For us...well we won I guess. Worried (a lot) about West ham..

Borini probaly earned a spot in the diamond with Balo if Sturridge isnt ready

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ed62dt2 said:
Tough one for sure Gate. Best maybe Dortmund's looked in a couple years. Not to pick on players (because the whole group just looked overwhelmed...it happens sometimes) but Ozil? Again... Just looks poor. Kind of how Coutinho looks for us

The stupid thing is, many people have said that it was Dortmund's weakest side that Arsenal has faced. And on top of it, no Reus, no Hummels, and no Gundogan, yet they ran circles around Arsenal. And it just feels wrong to blame Ozil, not cause he played bad, but cause no single player deserves most of the blame, they all equally deserve it, except Szczesny who was the only reason it wasn't a worse final score.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2bh4l5tr said:
Uncle Si":2bh4l5tr said:

The stupid thing is, many people have said that it was Dortmund's weakest side that Arsenal has faced. And on top of it, no Reus, no Hummels, and no Gundogan, yet they ran circles around Arsenal. And it just feels wrong to blame Ozil, not cause he played bad, but cause no single player deserves most of the blame, they all equally deserve it, except Szczesny who was the only reason it wasn't a worse final score.

Dortmund is Arsenal's achilles heel. And until Wenger decides to set his team up to properly handle it, will always be. Dortmund did to Arsenal what City, Chelsea and Liverpool did to them last season. High press the ball, crowd out the midfield, isolate the striker and run at the defense. Wenger loves his style (to his credit) and for him it doesnt matter the opponent or circumstance (to his credit again) he will always leave it out there.

This is where Ozil (and Ramsey last night) deserve the most criticism. They were no shows to the challenge. Little movement off the ball, little inspiration in breaking Dortmund down, and far too often dispossessed in critical areas.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":fodysupb said:
Same old City. That team just can't figure out how to win in Europe. Might not even make it out of that group, Roma looked ridiculous in their match.

Chelsea not as incisive as they have been. Really a lot happier with Liverpool's win now, no matter how ugly. Winning in the CL is an art, and is completely different to league matches.

Tough ask going into Bayern the first game and getting more than a point. That said, they weren't all that troublesome to the German champs. City's matches with Roma will be the difference there.

I'm with you, after a 24 hour "da hell" session of moaning about the performance with Ludogorets, and watching some of Wednesday's heavy favorites struggle to put teams away, i'm that much more happy with the 3 points.

still.... a shaky Saturday will only increase tension, anxiety and doubt. Need a strong showing there (and 3 points as far as I'm concerned).

Would love to see a revert back the diamond, with Borini and Balo up top, Sterling underneath. Henderson, Lalallan wide and Gerrard at the frame

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":4rab4z0a said:
Uncle Si":4rab4z0a said:
peachesenregalia":4rab4z0a said:
Same old City. That team just can't figure out how to win in Europe. Might not even make it out of that group, Roma looked ridiculous in their match.

Chelsea not as incisive as they have been. Really a lot happier with Liverpool's win now, no matter how ugly. Winning in the CL is an art, and is completely different to league matches.

Tough ask going into Bayern the first game and getting more than a point. That said, they weren't all that troublesome to the German champs. City's matches with Roma will be the difference there.

I'm with you, after a 24 hour "da hell" session of moaning about the performance with Ludogorets, and watching some of Wednesday's heavy favorites struggle to put teams away, i'm that much more happy with the 3 points.

still.... a shaky Saturday will only increase tension, anxiety and doubt. Need a strong showing there (and 3 points as far as I'm concerned).

Would love to see a revert back the diamond, with Borini and Balo up top, Sterling underneath. Henderson, Lalallan wide and Gerrard at the frame

Yeah, the diamond is obviously our strongest formation, but Brendan seems to be in love with the 4-3-3, which just isn't working anymore without Suarez. I agree with you, Balo and Borini up top in liue of Studge, Sterling at the tip, Lallana and hendo, then Stevie sitting back. the good thing is we have two fantastic fullbacks now who can bomb forward to add width, and let Hendo and Lallana tuck into the middle more.

Can't wait for Can and Studge to come back fit. Can has shown a LOT of promise. Need to start working Marko into the side more.

feel we need Allen back as well

(ducks, waits for bricks thrown directly from Merseyside)