12 things Hawks and Bolts fans are overlooking

dusktreader

Reaction score
I had a lot of fun writing up some points of reality last week and discussing them before the game. I decided to go ahead and do another set for this week and see how it went. To be honest, this week was a little harder. I think Charger fans are a lot more realistic about this game than Packer Backers were last week. I don't think this is as good a match-up, either, so it's hard to call out optimism on the part of the 12's. However, this week isn't a gimme at all, so here's 12 things that I think might be getting overlooked or downplayed by both fan bases.

For the Seahawk Fans
  1. Depth at CB is developing into a serious weakness
    Last week, Burley looked lost on quite a few plays. In the first three games of the season, the Seahawks face three of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. The ‘Hawks fared well against Aaron Rodgers in week 1, but he did manage to expose the glaring gap in our secondary on our Nickel packages. Burley and Thomas are going to have to come up to speed very quickly to plug the most obvious weakness in Seattle’s best-in-the-NFL defense. If they can’t get it figured out, Russell and the offense are going to have their work cut out for them matching the passing attack of Rivers and Manning.
  2. The edge rush is going to be a challenge for Justin Britt again
    After a decent showing last week, Britt will get no rest in the second game of his rookie year. Sunday he’ll face another veteran edge rusher in Dwight Freeny and a promising rookie in Jerry Attaochu. Freeny may have lost a step in recent years, but he is no less a threat. Zach Miller really shored up the right side and helped Britt establish some good protection for Wilson, and hopefully he will again help Britt anchor down the right side of the pocket. Britt’s entrance into the NFL is no less than a trial by fire, and, while he shows potential, there are still a lot of rough edges to melt away.
  3. The heat will be a factor
    It won’t be as big of an obstacle as some Charger fans are hoping, but it will undoubtedly be a factor. Fortunately, the Seahawks have had a warm summer to train in this year, but down on the field in Qualcomm stadium on Sunday, it is going to be nothing but hot. The blazing San Diego sun will also find the ‘Hawks wearing their ‘College Navy-Blue’ jerseys. The defense will need to get off the field early and often to avoid getting gassed out by relentless long drives orchestrated by Philip Rivers.
  4. The Chargers offense will be tighter than it was last week
    It looked like San Diego had the game well in hand last week until late in the second half. Then, it looked like mental discipline started to break down, and the Cardinals took full advantage to tie a win on. This week, the Chargers should look more put together and will probably play tighter for all 4 quarters. This is an offense that thrives on long drives that exhaust opposing defenses, and it should not be surprising to see San Diego’s unit come out more in sync and ready to play a full game. The LOB will need to help get the offense back on the field early and often.
  5. Rivers is a real threat at QB
    Of the 3 quarterbacks that the Seahawks face in their opening three weeks, Philip Rivers could prove to be their greatest challenge. He’s more of a wild-card passer than Rodgers, and his passes arrive quicker than Peyton Manning. Many are forgetting that last year, Rivers came in 4th in TD passes, 4th in QB rating, and recorded the highest completion percentage of starting QBs. Philip Rivers has the stones to challenge Sherman, and will probably be successful more than once. He is also sure to pick relentlessly at the #3 cornerback when the Seahawks field their Nickel defense. Rivers has proven himself a gunslinger that will spread the ball all over the field to expose any openings that the Seahawks show him.
  6. Overusing Harvin is dangerous
    Harvin is a great competitor and an unreal playmaker, but the Seahawks cannot lean on him to be the center of their offensive schemes. Harvin’s fragility is massively overblown by sports media, but he is not invincible. Percy has a light frame and does not shy away from contact. He runs through the middle of the field fearlessly and at a blinding pace. There are sure to be Strong Safeties and Linebackers just dying to put a hit on Harvin’s when he crosses their faces in the middle. Percy is a unique weapon that should be exploited both for his play-making ability and the respect that he demands from defenses. However, the team should spread touches out to other receivers, especially now that Harvin has proven on film just how badly he can gash an unsuspecting defense.

For the Chargers Fans
  1. No one on the team is overlooking Philip Rivers
    One of the most essential tenets of Pete Carroll's philosophy is treating every day like a championship. This team is not focused on or planning for Denver at all right now. Instead, the sights of the entire defensive unit are focused on Philip Rivers and shutting him down. Dan Quinn knows just how much of a threat that Rivers poses, and he knows that letting San Diego’s franchise QB orchestrate long scoring drives can wear down even the best defense. Sports media figures and Seahawk fans may foolishly write off Philip Rivers, but you can bet your boots that the folks drawing up the defensive game plan for Sunday have Rivers circled in red ink.
  2. You cannot win on River’s arm alone
    Despite the capability that Rivers has to carry his team, it won’t be enough against the Seahawks. This defense thrives on punishing an offense for even slight mistakes. Rivers is a gunslinger that likes to take risks and challenge perennial all-pros in the secondary. That sort of maverick play-making can pay off big-time in a shootout against marquee AFC QBs. Against the ‘Hawks, though, mistakes and turnovers turn into check marks in the L column very quickly. The Chargers will need to balance their offensive attack with a strong running game, and they will need their backs to relentlessly protect the ball.
  3. Running between the tackles is no easy task
    Establishing the run game against the Seahawks is a huge challenge. This is a very high-tempo defense filled with ball-hawks. They love to swarm the ball carrier and turn potential big plays into minimal yardage gains. To get the run game going, the Chargers will need to pound the rock at the middle of Seattle’s front 4. However, standing in their way is an often overlooked and underrated Brandon Mebane. The Packer’s struggled to make yardage up the gut with an elite power rusher in Eddie Lacy because of Mebane and Wagner’s capability to fill up and crash down running lanes. *t will be no easier for San Diego’s suspect rushers Matthews and Woodhead.
  4. You have to do more than stop Lynch and contain Wilson
    Over the past two years, Seahawk fans have witnessed other teams’ strategists (armchair or otherwise) repeat these two concepts like mantras: “Stop Lynch and we will win” and “Contain Russell Wilson and we will win.” It’s not enough. Wilson recorded a 100+ passer rating from both inside and outside the pocket in 2013. The only other QB to do the same last year was Peyton Manning. Plus, the Seahawks have way too many weapons on offense to focus only on Marshawn Lynch. Lots of teams have stacked the box to try to stop Marshawn, and many have done so successfully. However, very, very few teams have successfully stopped Lynch and shut down Russell Wilson. Even then, those successes came last year against a team missing two of its starting WRs and a train wreck of an O-line. 2014’s Seahawks are bristling with offensive weapons, and to win they all have to be accounted for.
  5. The LOB isn’t the only pass protection you need to worry about
    All the media attention on the LOB distracts many NFL fans from another cornerstone of Seattle’s defense. The Seahawks field one of the best coverage linebacker units in the NFL. Bobby Wagner is excellent against the run, but he also commands the short middle of the field with authority. KJ Wright is an absolute freak when it comes to pass coverage. With his startling wingspan and surprising speed, Wright has demonstrated his ability to erase pro-bowl caliber TEs that were racking up catches against other teams. Malcolm Smith also plays pass coverage very well, and excels at being in the right place at the right time to generate turnovers. Figuring out how to get completions on the Legion is such a difficult task, it’s plain to see how easily analysts and fans overlook one of the fastest LB groups in the NFL.
  6. The Seahawks are not a different team on the road
    In 2013, the ‘Hawks lost twice on the road. The first loss happened in a shootout with a very feisty Indianapolis team in a game filled with mental errors and just plain bad luck. The second loss came against a very tough 49ers team in a brutal defensive battle that went back and forth for 4 quarters. Media pundits love to talk about Seattle’s road woes, but they are repeating an idea that’s been old news since the second half of Russell Wilson’s rookie year. This team takes their game to the doorstep of any host that they face away, and nothing proves their roadworthiness more than the absolute beat-down they laid on the Broncos clear on the opposite seaboard. Home-field advantage is real, but it has no more effect on the Seahawks than any other premium NFL team

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
"The Seahawks are not a different team on the road"
Never thought I'd see those words written about my team, but it's now true. So wonderful.

Thanks for the write-up. I think we'll see improved play from Burley this week what with having 9 days between games for Pete & Co. to go to work coaching this kid.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1tq3zezg said:
"The Seahawks are not a different team on the road"
Never thought I'd see those words written about my team, but it's now true. So wonderful.

Thanks for the write-up. I think we'll see improved play from Burley this week what with having 9 days between games for Pete & Co. to go to work coaching this kid.

Assuming Quinn and PC have matched Burley to assignments that allow him to play within himself, AND assuming Burley sticks to those assignments, I think he'll do just fine with Sherm, Earl and Kam patrolling the rest of the field.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure the colour of your jersey makes little difference and if anything darker colours are better in the sun.

Smellyman

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1zem3w0i said:
I'm fairly sure the colour of your jersey makes little difference and if anything darker colours are better in the sun.

why would dark colors be better?

I am wondering though, we know dark colors don't reflect light and becomes hotter than white which does reflect light, but does anybody actually know how MUCH hotter a dark jersey gets? I imagine it is probably marginal? anyway, google told me nothing.

Heat won't be a factor anyway...

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Don't know about your first point...Burley held his own on little over a week with the team. He passed off a receiver to Sherman in zone like he's been there forever. Yeah, he gave up the TD to Cobb but so far I like what I see from him

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3nnf6869 said:
UK_Seahawk":3nnf6869 said:

I am wondering though, we know dark colors don't reflect light and becomes hotter than white which does reflect light, but does anybody actually know how MUCH hotter a dark jersey gets? I imagine it is probably marginal? anyway, google told me nothing.

Actually scientists proved there was no difference when it came to clothing by studying the Bedouin in the Sinai peninsula. This is why they can (and do) wear black robes in one of the hottest parts of the Earth's surface.

There have also been studies that show white pigeons get hotter than black ones.

OP
OP
dusktreader

dusktreader

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2g6b5jpa said:
Smellyman":2g6b5jpa said:
UK_Seahawk":2g6b5jpa said:

Actually scientists proved there was no difference when it came to clothing by studying the Bedouin in the Sinai peninsula. This is why they can (and do) wear black robes in one of the hottest parts of the Earth's surface.

There have also been studies that show white pigeons get hotter than black ones.

That's pretty interesting; I'll have to read up on that some. I think the color of the Jersey isn't as significant as the field temperature which could be higher than 95 F today. I hope our big guys use their O2 and mist fans!

Mick063

Reaction score
I can agree with almost all of the points but one of them.

The sample size for Burly is too small. He could end up in the pro bowl, or alternatively, on waivers for all we know.

The point is. We don't know. Richard Sherman got his start due to injury and took advantage of the opportunity. Who is to say Burly can't do the same?

One thing we do know. He is getting some damn good mentoring.

253hawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":w8tjb87s said:
UK_Seahawk":w8tjb87s said:

Dark colors block more direct UV by absorbing it before it reaches the skin, but it's not like the jersey is pressed directly against the body (undershirt and pads provide a buffer.) Nike also knows a thing or two about making stuff light and breathable. White doesn't really reflect UV so much as it just absorbs less than dark colors, but it does let more through to reach the skin which can be hotter than wearing a dark color (ever seen someone get a sunburn through their jeans or a very light t-shirt?)