RBBC in Seattle according to Bevell

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell told reporters Wednesday that his offense will use a "running back by committee" approach in 2014.
The idea may seem crazy based on Marshawn Lynch's league-high 1,002 carries over the past three seasons, but Bevell wants to get someone special more involved. "We are going to be running back by committee," Bevell promised. "We really like what Christine Michael is doing right now." Earlier in the offseason, coach Pete Carroll referred to 2013 second-round pick Michael as Seattle's "biggest breakout candidate" for the 2014 season. GM John Schneider called C-Mike one of the Seahawks' "most explosive offensive players."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/846 ... ne-michael

Jville

Reaction score
What I heard him say was that Christian Michael has made a lot of progress (grown) over the past year. That Michael is now working on the small details. And, that he will compete for snaps because of his growth as a player. The result should force a running back by committee approach.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think this is a fantastic idea. I assume Shawn will still get the bulk of the carries.

We're pulling an okie-doke on the whole league and I'm loving it. We're gonna be fielding so much speed this year it's not even funny.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I would love to see Cmike get more carries. Maybe reduce Lynch from 300 down to 230 or so. Give most of Turbo's carries to Cmike as well. 230 carries for Lynch should keep him fresh and still get him over 1000 yards, while Cmike getting ~150 carries (Turbo's 77 from last year plus the extra 71 from Lynch) should give us a great chance to see what he can do while continuing to put pressure on the other teams run D all game.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm down with that. Hopefully the players can maintain their team attitude and work within it. It would certainly keep them fresh for the playoffs, and if a certain guy gets a hot hand during a game, nothing says he couldn't be "the man" in the second half/fourth quarter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is what a lot of us said earlier this year in some C-Mike threads.

If Pete wants Michael to be the RB of the future, he's got to get him some carries. We can't let Lynch walk in 2015 without knowing if Michael can handle the load.

The downside to this is how is Lynch going to act when he has to come off the field for more than 3-4 plays like it's been? My guess is not good, so look for quite a few Marshawn is pissed off articles during the season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Excellent news. I felt that Lynch wore down at the end of the year last year. Of course any back with that kind of running style, and that many carriers would tire. This way we can keep him fresh so that he can wear out defenses in the playoffs.

The biggest thing this team needs to do is spread out the opposing defensive lines, stop them from focusing on Marshawn all the time. We saw that against NewOrleans with Percy Harvin and the fly sweep. It caused the Saints D line to spread out and opened up running lanes that 'Shawn exploited.

That's whyPaul Richardson was such a big get, if Percy gets hurt, guess who's next in line for the fly sweep? Christine Michael only exacerbates the defensive lines issues because of his speed and explosiveness. If Cmike gets in the open, no one is catching him. All that speed will keep defenses honest and force them to play out wide.

The Seahawks offense is closing the gap with the Seahawks defense.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
We'll see, IMO. Our coaching staff has a habit of saying things in the media to motivate our players. When was the last time you heard so much about Carpenter on the o-line this early in the season? Would not be surprised to see Marshawn show up for the end of OTAs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
RBBC is the best way we can keep the Beast fresh for the playoffs.

Towards the end of last season, he was looking a bit worn down. The first round bye looked really helpful for Lynch.

I wish Turbin could manage to stay on his feet and get more yards after first contact. He looks powerful, he calls himself the Hulk, but I see him stumbling down after a defender touches him more times than not.

Michael on the other hand looked explosive when given his few touches. He liked the spin move, which could get him in trouble with fumbling if over used, but he could be the breakout player Carroll mentioned earlier. We didn't draft him in the 2nd round for nothing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not a major surprise.. the tread on Lynch's tires are starting to accumulate in a hurry and Christine Michael seems to possess an ability to pop a big run and be a nice change of back RB. This does make me wonder if Turbin is on the bubble though to make the team, as I can see him competing with a spot with a Spencer Ware for example.

I mean, end of the day, Lynch will still get most of the carries.. but instead of giving him 25-30 .. now you see him getting 18-20.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
If Pete wants Michael to be the RB of the future, he's got to get him some carries. We can't let Lynch walk in 2015 without knowing if Michael can handle the load. The downside to this is how is Lynch going to act when he has to come off the field for more than 3-4 plays like it's been? My guess is not good, so look for quite a few Marshawn is pissed off articles during the season.[/quote]

I agree and I understand it. But this is the one part of the biz of football I just hate. I want to see Lynch run 'til he can't run no mo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":td8ivipl said:
This is what a lot of us said earlier this year in some C-Mike threads.

If Pete wants Michael to be the RB of the future, he's got to get him some carries. We can't let Lynch walk in 2015 without knowing if Michael can handle the load.

The downside to this is how is Lynch going to act when he has to come off the field for more than 3-4 plays like it's been? My guess is not good, so look for quite a few Marshawn is pissed off articles during the season.
I don't really see a downside to it, because if Lynch truly does get pissed about sharing time with C.Mike, all he has to do is show that he's still king, and can up the anti by getting more yards with fewer touches.
A pissed off 'Beast Mode' could be a really good thing, eh?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Wow the Body Language Police already out in force, stating less carries = angry Beast mode..... You girls love drama, bet you dont miss an episode of the Kardashians.......

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":ulmwmz1y said:
Wow the Body Language Police already out in force, stating less carries = angry Beast mode..... You girls love drama, bet you dont miss an episode of the Kardashians.......
Exactly. Lynch didn't exactly look pissed when he sat out most of the 2nd half if XLVIII! I'm not worried about it.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Lynch will still get a ton of carries. There may also be additional snaps simply from our offense progressing.
Michael will take most of Turbins, and 15-20% of Lynchs. That leaves plenty for the beast. Particularly red zone, short yardage, and late game crunch time.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Realistically, this may be Lynch's last year with the team because of cap constraints so if Michael is the future he needs to get on the field. I still expect Marshawn to get the bulk of the carries so Turbin will be the odd man out.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3gwneo7a said:
gowazzu02":3gwneo7a said:
Exactly. Lynch didn't exactly look pissed when he sat out most of the 2nd half if XLVIII! I'm not worried about it.

That's because he took himself out. Not sure if it was the Super Bowl SoundFX or the Seahawks All Access show for the SB, but in one of them you can distinctly hear him say "I'm done!" as he walks off of the field in the 3rd quarter.

Latest posts