RBBC in Seattle according to Bevell

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2p7yc0lg said:
Wow the Body Language Police already out in force, stating less carries = angry Beast mode..... You girls love drama, bet you dont miss an episode of the Kardashians.......

Body language police? That doesn't even make sense.

PS. Free Bruce Jenner.

kearly

Reaction score
This is what I wanted last year. With Wilson, Michael, Harvin, and Richardson on the field... DCs are going to lose their minds trying to contain all that explosiveness.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's good to hear this because if Marshawn is here in 2015 something will have gone horribly wrong. It's time to get Michael up to speed and ready to assume The Beast's mantle in 2015.

hawk45

Reaction score
A fresh Lynch for the playoff stretch means bad bad things for the rest of the league.

Smellyman

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":8b6nsu2n said:
I agree and I understand it. But this is the one part of the biz of football I just hate. I want to see Lynch run 'til he can't run no mo.

and that is the part of the biz i hate. Wearing guys out until they are shells of their former self. Let's keep these guys locked in and healthy all season.

A great 1-2 punch or 1-2-3 punch..

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
Wasn't the only knock on CMike last year is that he wasn't picking up the blocking schemes and he was a healthy scratch because of that?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3qqlpsfh said:
We'll see, IMO. Our coaching staff has a habit of saying things in the media to motivate our players. When was the last time you heard so much about Carpenter on the o-line this early in the season? Would not be surprised to see Marshawn show up for the end of OTAs.

Really? You used Carpenter as your prime example to relate?

Carpenter's Off-Seasons
Year 1: Lockout, ring a bell, and a Rookie
Year 2: Not Healthy, Rehabbing Knee
Year 3: Not Healthy, Rehabbing Knee
Year 4: First Healthy Off-Season He Could Participate In

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FearTheBeak":1mvro8i5 said:
Wasn't the only knock on CMike last year is that he wasn't picking up the blocking schemes and he was a healthy scratch because of that?

I don't know if that was the only knock, but Pete said he needed to become a more complete back to get on the field and mentioned blocking as an aspect of that. I imagine he was referring specifically to pass blocking, but understanding the nuances of the zone blocking scheme is also an element of being a complete RB in this system.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":3hy85m1v said:
This is what I wanted last year. With Wilson, Michael, Harvin, and Richardson on the field... DCs are going to lose their minds trying to contain all that explosiveness.

Don't forget Doug Baldwin (owner of 14 plays of 20+ yards, doesn't seem like much but it was 28% of his catches and Luke Willson who can cause problems because he can line up at TE, FB, or even play slot (which you know).

QB: Wilson, dual threat
RB: Michael, physical home-run hitter
TE/FB: Willson, versatile athletic TE that can stretch the seems
WR/RB: Harvin, horizontal nightmare
WR: Richardson, vertical nightmare
WR: Baldwin, slot nightmare that could clean-up from anywhere

How do you stop that? I don't think you can.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ossqltj said:
Hawkfish":2ossqltj said:
We'll see, IMO. Our coaching staff has a habit of saying things in the media to motivate our players. When was the last time you heard so much about Carpenter on the o-line this early in the season? Would not be surprised to see Marshawn show up for the end of OTAs.

Carpenter's Off-Seasons

The guy played in 10 games last season and was the Super Bowl XLVIII starter. McQ is gone, and the coachs are using the media a little bit for motivation, IMO. Sorry if it's not strong enough example for you.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ypn9jih said:
gowazzu02":1ypn9jih said:
Wow the Body Language Police already out in force, stating less carries = angry Beast mode..... You girls love drama, bet you dont miss an episode of the Kardashians.......
Exactly. Lynch didn't exactly look pissed when he sat out most of the 2nd half if XLVIII! I'm not worried about it.

Well when you're up by 30 and are for sure the Super Bowl Champion, with the offseason the next day, I think almost anybody wouldn't care less about being taken out.

Anyways, I'm sure Shawn won't have a problem with this. Being able to have a spill will keep him fresh and more effective.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying, I'm willing to give it a try, and that I do like the possibility of getting CMike some touches!

Normally I HATE RBBC. It seems that a lot of RB's, and especially the elite backs, have to get into a groove and get a feel for a team/game to really take effect in the 2nd half. To me it seems a lot of teams that go RBBC with the wrong backs (RB's that need that time to get into a groove) end up suffering because of that, and their RB's never get into that groove and take over the 2nd half.

However I think that in some situations and with the right RB's who have complimentary running styles RBBC can work and can be very effective. I also feel like our backs would actually be a good fit for a shared system. I think Marshawn's pounding style actually complements him better in the early parts of the game, which is also supported by the stats. He averaged 4.4 YPC in the first half last year and 3.9 YPC in the 2nd (similar in 2012 as well) when usually RB's have a higher YPC in the 2nd half... I also feel like the personalities of the backs we have would cause them to "try harder" and want to show each other up a little bit, getting more effort out of them all and a better overall rushing attack.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2v5604j5 said:
kearly":2v5604j5 said:

Don't forget Doug Baldwin (owner of 14 plays of 20+ yards, doesn't seem like much but it was 28% of his catches and Luke Willson who can cause problems because he can line up at TE, FB, or even play slot (which you know).

QB: Wilson, dual threat
RB: Michael, physical home-run hitter
TE/FB: Willson, versatile athletic TE that can stretch the seems
WR/RB: Harvin, horizontal nightmare
WR: Richardson, vertical nightmare
WR: Baldwin, slot nightmare that could clean-up from anywhere

How do you stop that? I don't think you can.

Yeah I think that Carroll was originally focused on building an elite defense along with an offense that didn't make mistakes and could pound the ball. Now that he has the defense I think more emphasis is being placed on building an elite offense as well that puts pressure on the defense both vertically and horizontally over the entire field. That's the reason for paying a high price to get Harvin and why Richardson was drafted. I think Michael is also part of the equation. He has the type of ability to produce explosive plays and, combined with Lynch, could be part of a two-headed monster this season..

I'm expecting a more dynamic offense this year than we've seen in the past.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3ur3094x said:
Hawkfish":3ur3094x said:

Carpenter's Off-Seasons

People need to stop using the lockout to defend carp. HE CHOSE NOT TO EXERCISE.

HE MADE A CONSCIOUS DECISION NOT TO EXERCISE.

Any pro athlete that cares about his career is not going to just sit on the couch eating fried chicken.

If you want to use the excuse "young and stupid" then at least you would he on to something because he was VERY STUPID.

As for his subsequent injuries, do you honestly think losing muscle (from not working out) and packing on all that extra fat had nothing to do with Carp's knee problems?

Carp's career could be going a whooooooooooole lot better if he hadn't been too stupid and lazy to stay in shape during the lockout.

Sorry, carp has no one to blame but himself for everything that has happened so far.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3thotuoo said:
People need to stop using the lockout to defend carp. HE CHOSE NOT TO EXERCISE.

HE MADE A CONSCIOUS DECISION NOT TO EXERCISE.

Any pro athlete that cares about his career is not going to just sit on the couch eating fried chicken.

If you want to use the excuse "young and stupid" then at least you would he on to something because he was VERY STUPID.

As for his subsequent injuries, do you honestly think losing muscle (from not working out) and packing on all that extra fat had nothing to do with Carp's knee problems?

Carp's career could be going a whooooooooooole lot better if he hadn't been too stupid and lazy to stay in shape during the lockout.

Sorry, carp has no one to blame but himself for everything that has happened so far.

People don't 'need' to do or stop doing anything of the sort. This is a discussion board.

Are you and Tokadub one in the same?

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I think we are gonna see Percy get a ton of carries as well this year

Tical21

Reaction score
What I think Bevell meant is more along the lines that Michael will get into the mix and get some carries.

The conundrum is that Lynch is one of those backs that sometimes takes a workload to get going, and the more you give him the ball, the more he wears down the defense, and that can pay big dividends in the second half. There are games where the offense is a little stagnant early, and Lynch has like 20 yards in the first half. In those games, they make it a point to keep establishing him and involve him more in the second half. Since our style lends itself to close games, Lynch is even more vital.

The NFC Championship game is a prime example. Lynch pounds and pounds in a close game with mediocre results, and then ultimately busts that big run in the second half that changes the game. That may not have ever happened had we not let him get to that point. So while the theory of lightening his load and involving others sounds great in an interview, I don't know that it is reality when the chips are on the table. You're telling me in a close game, we're not going to feed the beast?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle
Liz Mathews 710 ESPN ‏@Liz_Mathews 12m
#Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell said today after practice that his comment regarding "running back by committee" was regarding OTAs....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I never really bought into the RBBC idea. It's definitely possible, but I think if one RB is clearly better than the other, Seattle is going to want to feature the better back and give light carries to back-ups. It just makes sense. Of course you want guys to develop, but ultimately, you play to win the games. Taking reps away from Marshawn doesn't really help you do that. Also, there's another advantage of giving one back consistent carries: SEA likes to review tape on running plays during halftime and make adjustments in blocking accordingly. How are they going to do that with two RBs with completely different styles splitting reps? It's already a big challenge getting enough tape in one half with a single feature back.