Redskins breakdown by Derek Stephens

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I always enjoy Derek Stephens breakdowns.

Talks about some good stuff, especially about why we don't have to fear Washington's run D, and RG3's inability to progress through reads quickly.

- Washington's run defense ranking (5th overall in league in yards-per-game - 95.8 ) is deceiving. They've defended tje fewest number of run attempts in league. The 'Skins D has seen only 22.7 rushing attempts per game (lowest in NFL), despite giving up 4.2/carry (Fewer rushing attempts. Fewer total rush yards. Per carry stat more important here)

- Redskins are 2-5 in games where the opponent rushes more than 24 times. The two wins came by margins of 1 point (NYG - week 13) and 3 points (BAL week 14). The ‘Skins surrender 128 ypg, and 4.45 ypc across those 7 games. (When teams stick with the run against Washington, they win).

- The ‘Skins game to go back and watch, is vs. PIT. The Steelers generated 140 yards on ground, and held the ‘Skins to 86 total rush yards. PIT won, 27 - 12. (If you're signed up for Game Rewind, go watch it back).

- Robert Griffin actually doesn't get thru progressions very quickly, but Washington does good job of making this a non-issue by buying him time with play fakes. (See all points above).

- Griffin goes to his 1st read A LOT, due to the ability to freeze defenses. This makes sense, considering Baylor's offense featured so much 1-read. (Washington coaches have played to Griffin's strengths, and away from his weaknesses here, by simplifying the passing game to one or two key targets on each play. With the time he has, he can wait for a receiver to get open).

Also, on a totally unrelated sidenote, injury report looks great right now. Only Lynch is on it with a LP because of his back.... Everyone's healthy for the playoffs! :D

LuvMySkins

Reaction score
Yeah the game to watch would be the one the Skins played their absolute worst in lol. I guess a Seahawks write up would say something like: "The ‘Hawks game to go back and watch, is vs. MIA. The Dolphins generated 147 yards on ground, and held the ‘Hawks to 84 total rush yards."

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
LuvMySkins":20se0jsb said:
Yeah the game to watch would be the one the Skins played their absolute worst in lol. I guess a Seahawks write up would say something like: "The ‘Hawks game to go back and watch, is vs. MIA. The Dolphins generated 147 yards on ground, and held the ‘Hawks to 84 total rush yards."

I doubt that was the only game Derek Stephens watched, but isn't the general idea to find an opponents weakness and exploit it?

You are right, if you run the ball down our throats, and then stop us from running, you will win the ball game, I guarantee it. That's our weakness, do you have the personnel to exploit it though?

kearly

Reaction score
LuvMySkins":neul0ges said:

Actually, the Dolphins did a great job exposing how to beat the Seahawks. Only problem is, you'd need an ultra elite run defense to make their plan work.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3lypjt9x said:
Actually, the Dolphins did a great job exposing how to beat the Seahawks. Only problem is, you'd need an ultra elite run defense to make their plan work.

And even with that, where we played awful and the Dolphins had their most complete game of the year, I still believe Seattle should have won that football game. They were 10 yards outside of FG range when everything hit the fan.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":3lo94rg7 said:
LuvMySkins":3lo94rg7 said:

I still think we should've signed Solai off FA. What a beast.