Recurring theme against Carolina

Laloosh

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread but thought showing the plays might be a bit better. I'm sure one of our better football posters can speak to the coverage and why teams can exploit the seam but it happened entirely too much against Carolina.

I don't have time to find any plays to the right before I head to work but was hoping someone could speak to this.

PdJrNFB.gif

9RN4gze

OYF6qVP

This one's not on Williams and it's not caught but they were really trying to get the ball to the seam all day.
X4gn2Xz

NRLgd7D

kearly

Reaction score
Some of it is attacking the transfer points in zone coverages. But most of it is Cam Newton having balls of steel and using his cannon arm to fit passes into dangerous windows. It got him picked twice, but paid off in the end.

BlackMike

Reaction score
Definitely what Kearly said...

Cam throws the fastest ball in the league. Some of those windows are not windows at all. When Cam starts completing passes with those fast balls, it throws defenders off... and opens up the long ball.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Louis Riddick broke down the first play and blamed it on KJ Wright, and basically said that with Bobby Wagner out that changed that particular zone big time, as Wagner would have been playing it and KJ would have been in his normal spot.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sherm's guy was wide open on the last play. Not sure how much of that is a product of Cam having already thrown the ball but looks like that could have been a big gain.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's all Cary Williams except the fourth, which is on Earl. He's got to do a better job of squeezing. He fights his instincts, where Sherm is completely confident in his. For some reason Cary Williams won't sell out on it, almost like he's concerned about an outside breaking route. There are four in-breaking routes and only one outside breaking route, and our staff doesn't care if he gives up the outside breaking route. He needs to be in the hip a lot sooner. Hopefully he'll look at your post and start to figure it out.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I blame it on the scheme.
Anyone knows why we do not jam receivers within 5 yards anymore to disrupt their timing? I believe our D is simply too predictable and depends on extra-ordinary athletes. Once those guys lose a step ...we become beatable.