You Can Keep 3 Defensive Players

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
No, he doesn't have that dawg mentality in him. I would cut ties with him myself. You can't win with guys like that. Regardless of how fast he can run.

Are you fine with keeping someone who actively tries to avoid contact? His play simply hasn't been good enough.

Dump him.
We probably have maybe one defensive player with the dawg mentality - when your defensive coordinator has a lounge mentality it’s sorta difficult

morgulon1

Reaction score
We probably have maybe one defensive player with the dawg mentality - when your defensive coordinator has a lounge mentality it’s sorta difficult
Our coordinator has the Golden Corral Buffett mentality. He's thinking about his
6th trip , licking his fat chops trying not to shart his fat boy pants

WarHawks

Reaction score
None of them. Even Spoon. His 180 pound frame is going to break down very quickly.

All guys on defense are softer than Charmin. They're more interested in playing patty cake than tackling. Cut them all
Strong take. I like it, even though I'm not sure I agree with it. Not sure I disagree either, although Mafe and Nwousu (sp?) seem like big hitters.

Atradees

Reaction score
There seems to be handful of guys with great athleticism and potential. Maybe we get more out of them with Big Mac. I cant wait to see coach calling defensive plays. Its squarely on him. If we roll into a game and give thr Raiders 300 yards rushing I will be totally down on our future. But I just dont see that happening with this staff.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
Ok . I noticed a consensus regarding Nwousu, Witherspoon,Mafe. Some picked Williams and I agree , id like to have him as well.

Next stage :

Are there two more defensive players in addition to the top three that anyone would like to salvage for this team ?

Just two....
Woolen
Love (great 3rd safety)

bigcc

Reaction score
Spoon, Big Cat & Mafe

Mafe over Nwosu simply due to age, upside & salary.

I'm surprised Leonard isn't a consensus choice. He's been terrific.
I won't name names, but at least several prominent posters think the Williams trade is a bust, to the point of being the worst in franchise history

That is not hyperbole, as absolutely brain dead as it sounds.

I think a lot of people think he should have edge rusher productivity.... The fact that he does RUSHING INSIDE is amazing and I might actually cry if we let him walk

CactusJack

Reaction score
I won't name names, but at least several prominent posters think the Williams trade is a bust, to the point of being the worst in franchise history

That is not hyperbole, as absolutely brain dead as it sounds.

I think a lot of people think he should have edge rusher productivity.... The fact that he does RUSHING INSIDE is amazing and I might actually cry if we let him walk
BigCat was clearly one of their best players the final two months of the year. You can question whether the cost (2nd) was too much to give up. But letting him go would be a massive mistake. If he's not brought back, I'm going to lose a lot of faith in John tbh.

bigcc

Reaction score
BigCat was clearly one of their best players the final two months of the year. You can question whether the cost (2nd) was too much to give up. But letting him go would be a massive mistake. If he's not brought back, I'm going to lose a lot of faith in John tbh.
100 percent

I like to think we'd tag and trade him at the very least, but hopefully won't (and I don't think it will) come to that

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
If BigCat is not brought back, my thoughts on the decision to not bring him back will depend on the overall direction indicated by the totality of decisions made this offseason. One potential decision that we do not know the reasoning behind seems like a rather naive reason to lose faith in someone.

Suppose he is not brought back and the totality of other decisions indicates that 2024 is a reset year with a focus towards competing in the following years. In that case, I will be happy with the decision to let him sign elsewhere. Conversely, suppose that he is not brought back, he signs elsewhere for a reasonable contract, and the totality of other decisions made by the front office indicates that we are pushing for a competitive season in 2024. In that case, I might question the decision to let him sign elsewhere. And, even then, I am not in the building with access to the thought processes and reasoning of the coaches, scouts, and front office (for all I know, Mike tells John that BigCat doesn't fit what he wants to do and he'd rather roll with player x).

What we gave up in trade to get BigCat is irrelevant to the decision to re-sign or let him walk. Weighing sunk costs in the decision-making process is a practice of the uneducated and unintelligent. I am certain that JS and his crew are much too intelligent to fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
I would say Spoon, Williams, and Wagner so we have one at each level, then bring in Queen. Wagner and Queen would be brutal to play against in a 3-4. Then build around those 4.

12forlife

Reaction score
Spoon, Williams, Nwosu/Mafe. I choose Mafe over Nwosu only because he is younger, plus I think he could be potentially a pro bowl edge in MM's defensive scheme