Yall wanted Lock

Threedee

Reaction score
I don't consider Lock an upgrade to Geno. That said, people want Lock to start a game after a full week of preparation. Not come into the game after a cheap shot on Geno, without the ability to really dig into the playbook, and just being given some basic plays to run.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
I disagree Geno is good in the 4th. Geno isva better QB than most give him credit to be.

LTH
I dont think Geno is a bad QB . He doesn't make me feel confident. I've never thought " it's ok, Geno will get it done" Like today in the 3rd quarter, the nervous dread feeling starts creeping in. And I know there are lots of other factors involved in the Hawks offensive crapfest, but he is one of them for me. To me, he is a fantastic #2.

themunn

Reaction score
Again with no practice with 1st team, and no chemsitry.

You are just a hater.

I mean when the same thing happened to Geno in 2021 he came in and led a 98 TD drive on his first drive and another drive for a FG on his 2nd drive. That was also against the Rams - except this time it was a Rams team who went on to win the superbowl that year, not a Rams team that had 3 wins going into the game.

Geno yesterday left the team having led scoring drives in 4 out of 6 attempts, but with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. Lock came in and failed to gain a single first down in 3 drives. Geno comes back for the final drive, plays through injury, converts a first down on his first throw and gets the team back into FG range to hit the gamewinner and Myers unfortunately fails to convert.

Not really sure what people want from Smith, but I sure know I can sure ask for better than 2.8 passer rating from Lock

RiverDog

Reaction score
I come down squarely in the middle of this debate. Yes, Lock was put in a tough position, coming cold off the bench and not having worked with the first team, and although some backup QB's have done it, it's not reasonable to expect our offense not to skip a beat when the starting QB goes down.

But some of those throws, like the INT, were not the result of a lack of preparation or familiarity with the offense. He's not part of our future.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I come down squarely in the middle of this debate. Yes, Lock was put in a tough position, coming cold off the bench and not having worked with the first team, and although some backup QB's have done it, it's not reasonable to expect our offense not to skip a beat when the starting QB goes down.

But some of those throws, like the INT, were not the result of a lack of preparation or familiarity with the offense. He's not part of our future.
He is definitely not part of our future, and that's been obvious for two years. Should have cut ties with him in the off-season and found a capable backup. There is no upside to Lock. There's nothing there.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to see Lock, so what? Now we know he's not the guy either. That's a good thing imo. We will never win consistently until we get a qb capable of scoring more than 1-2 td's a game. Geno is not that guy, and his stats this year prove it. That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wasn't happy one bit when Geno went down. It's not like either of them were lighting it up after that early lead. While I have had my times of wanting to see what Lock can do.......meh, little to no confidence in him.
Geno is absolutely better. But I still don't have a ton of confidence in him overall. I doubt I'm alone in this.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Nine straight failed 3rd down conversions. That's why we lost. It should have been a blowout. No confidence, indeed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. They were up 16-7. Then......several drives end in a punt. Game shouldn't have even been close, imo. BOTH QB's had plenty of chances to convert some damn 3rd downs and at least get another FG.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He (Lock) is definitely not part of our future, and that's been obvious for two years. Should have cut ties with him in the off-season and found a capable backup. There is no upside to Lock. There's nothing there.
The problem starts with Pete. He doesn't view this team as rebuilding. Like a thirsty cowboy chasing a desert mirage, he's under the illusion that we're a championship team, and rather than drafting a QB like Will Levis and using the backup position to groom him, he re-signed Drew Lock, which is a smart move if you're contending for a SB as he has familiarity with our system and players.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yep. They were up 16-7. Then......several drives end in a punt. Game shouldn't have even been close, imo. BOTH QB's had plenty of chances to convert some damn 3rd downs and at least get another FG.
Definitely a game we should have won. But if you make it a practice of living by 50-yard field goals, eventually you're going to miss one at a bad time.

Vesuve

Reaction score
He is definitely not part of our future, and that's been obvious for two years. Should have cut ties with him in the off-season and found a capable backup. There is no upside to Lock. There's nothing there.
I think he is definitely NOT a part of our team's future.

And he never was.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno should be the backup to a qb1. He's perfect for that role. No shame in that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Should have never come down to that, clearly. Drive after drive after drive ending in a punt. 2 and half plus quarters without a single 3rd down conversion. Against a 3-win team. Pathetic.
Agreed. We out played them in the first half but we were up by just 6 points, giving up a TD with 9 seconds to go in the half. We get one really good drive to start the game then the offense goes to sleep.

themunn

Reaction score
Agreed. We out played them in the first half but we were up by just 6 points, giving up a TD with 9 seconds to go in the half. We get one really good drive to start the game then the offense goes to sleep.

To be fair, we had just 3 possessions in first half and scored on all 3 of them - one of which started on our own 2 yard line and went for 75 yards before we had to kick a FG, and we possessed the ball for nearly 20 minutes. Really the defense are the ones that should have done better at the end of the 2nd half, they failed to force a single incompletion on that drive and didn't even force a 3rd down until they hit the SEA 4 yard line.

Agree we came out a bit flatter in the 3rd quarter, Geno should have converted 3rd and 2 on the first drive, but really that's the only failed 3rd down conversion where I felt like he should have done much better on his throw.
2nd drive we again ultimately put points on the board even after we end up in a 3rd and 22 situation, and then 3rd drive was dead in the water after 2nd down sack where Geno was under pressure before he even completed his dropback - we end up in 3rd and 14 and same thing happens with immediate pressure so he has to dump off into his hot route.

Also, we converted on 4th down twice, one of which was a 4th and 1 following a 10 yard completion on 3rd and 11.

That's it. Geno had 7 possessions and put points on the board on 5 of them. His 8th drive at the end of the game put us in a position to score again.
It would be nice if we had scored 1 extra TD anywhere along the way, but the wheels didn't come off until Lock came in

thegameq

Reaction score
Extremely small sample size but he blew what chance he had. No question about that. I could see this loss coming in the first half. We started good and went downgrade from there. Meanwhile the Rams kept getting better as the game went on. IMO this loss pretty much ruins our designs for this season.
I know right! You could just see it coming! How long did they think they could hold down Stafford and McVay!?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geno played 99.9% of the game.
Yes BUT that 00.01% INTERCEPTION and DRIVE KILLING PLAY was NOT on Geno, it was on DREW LOCK.
IF the folks here at .NET WANT TO be HONEST, they'd ADMIT that it was Geno & the Offense that gathered up a 16 to 7 lead, and that it was the DEFENSE that GAVE UP 10 UNANSWERED points.

Latest posts