WR market

Spiderdan

Reaction score
Riley Cooper just signed a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. I honestly don't see Tate getting a deal of more than that. Yes, I think Tate is worth more, but Cooper became a much bigger name as the season wore on. I see Golden now maybe getting 3.5-4.5 a year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Spiderdan":28x8sht4 said:
I see Golden now maybe getting 3.5-4.5 a year.
That is the range that Clayton has been saying for a while now... likely closer to $4.5M/year is fair.

The WR market should be soft considering the depth in the draft.

Let's see what interest there is for Hakeem Nicks and what offer(s) he receives.

drrew

Reaction score
Coopers deal also comes with $10m guaranteed. I'd be happy to hand Golden that exact deal, and would offer Baldwin something in the 5 year $20m total, and see who jumped first.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Golden and Balwin just just get matching deals, 4 years, 16 mil, something like that. I know it doesn't work that way, but I'm hoping they sign similar in years and dollars. Keep this thing going.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
From Clayton's current ESPN article... regarding the soft FA market for WRs...

5. This receiver class will hurt free agents at the position: With Hakeem Nicks being a slight question mark coming off two years in which he struggled with injuries, there are no great receivers in free agency. Last year it was easy to see Mike Wallace was going to get the most money. He was a No. 1 receiver with speed. Most of the free-agent receivers this year fit more into the slot.

Many of the top receivers in this year's draft project to be No. 1 receivers in the future. Watkins is clearly the best receiver to hit this league since A.J. Green of the Cincinnati Bengals and Julio Jones of the Atlanta Falcons. The draft is loaded with great receiving prospects -- Watkins, Mike Evans of Texas A&M, Odell Beckham of LSU, Marqise Lee of USC, Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State and Brandin Cooks of Oregon State. Teams may prefer the potential of drafted receivers over the track records of the receivers available in free

Source... http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/ ... howing-off

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Not saying it won't happen, but I'll be pretty shocked if Baldwin gets an AAV of $4M from the Hawks unless it's at least a 5+ year deal. I love the guy, and have a huge appreciation for the value he brings, but that would be a lot to pay for a #3 WR who doesn't contribute on special teams, esp. when you have as much already sunk into Harvin and (potentially) Tate, and when you need to keep as much future cap space free as possible due to our own class of pending 2015 FA's (plus extending Russell Wilson).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Is the WR market like Pike Place market where they throw wide receivers back and forth then package them up for the trip home??? :mrgreen:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

jblaze

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":10t883g9 said:
Golden and Balwin just just get matching deals, 4 years, 16 mil, something like that. I know it doesn't work that way, but I'm hoping they sign similar in years and dollars. Keep this thing going.

Baldwin won't get 4m per year. He's a RFA and we'll put a second round tender on him which is set @ 2.1m a year. No one will match so that's what he gets.

Tate will likely be 4.5m or so a year for 4 years probably. The Riley contract is a good baseline that will set the curve for the rest of the WR's. He and Riley are similar enough to put them in the same neighborhood.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
With the new higher salary cap, I'd be thrilled to throw Tate a 5/25m with 15m guaranteed even.

jblaze

Reaction score
GM's all work together under the premise of keeping contracts to market norms so the new salary cap shouldn't affect the contracts this offseason, much. They will a little but not much.

It's a type of price collusion but it's legal. It's how everyone keeps the market in check. JSPC likely have a number for Tate and that will be unaffected by the new cap number. That's just how good front office's do business, stay in your lane and price your talent and stick with it.

rigelian

Reaction score
jblaze":3tsjq6q1 said:
GM's all work together under the premise of keeping contracts to market norms so the new salary cap shouldn't affect the contracts this offseason, much. They will a little but not much.

It's a type of price collusion but it's legal. It's how everyone keeps the market in check. JSPC likely have a number for Tate and that will be unaffected by the new cap number. That's just how good front office's do business, stay in your lane and price your talent and stick with it.

It's not legal if they reach agreements on what the price range looks like.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Spiderdan":1pmpxr26 said:
Riley Cooper just signed a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. I honestly don't see Tate getting a deal of more than that. Yes, I think Tate is worth more, but Cooper became a much bigger name as the season wore on. I see Golden now maybe getting 3.5-4.5 a year.

Golden had a very small showing in the playoffs (at least from what I remember, when I think big plays, there's nothing from Golden popping up in my memory). I'm hoping this helps with getting him at a more affordable rate.

jblaze

Reaction score
rigelian":kaurogz7 said:
jblaze":kaurogz7 said:

It's not legal if they reach agreements on what the price range looks like.

They do it all the time. The don't directly work together, but you'll get black balled if you go above market to get a guy and end up setting the curve disproportinately. That hurts everyone in the long run.

It's players/agents vs. owners/front office. It's critical they maintain ranks.

rigelian

Reaction score
If what you are saying is true, it's illegal. What you mean is that they don't get caught.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3v26db3u said:
With the new higher salary cap, I'd be thrilled to throw Tate a 5/25m with 15m guaranteed even.

How about:

3 yrs for 16 mil w/ 10 mil guaranteed. The premise that when he's 28-29 years he'll still be young enough to get a big time deal while he's still in his prime.

Yr1: 4.33
Yr2. 5.33
Yr3. 6.33

For Baldwin, a 4 yr deal, 18 mil deal also w/ 12 mil guaranteed.

Yr1: 3.0
Yr2: 4.5
Yr3: 5.0
Yr4: 5.5

After the 2015 (Yr 2) season you are looking at possibly a restructure/pay-cut or be cut situation for Percy Harvin that will help alleviate the rising cap hit
Baldwin and Tate are both worth it. They are two of the most efficient, clutch WRs in the NFL and they'll only get better and better as they grow with Wilson.

jblaze

Reaction score
rigelian":2ge7led7 said:
If what you are saying is true, it's illegal. What you mean is that they don't get caught.

It is not illegal, it's implied as a general good for all. It's common sense. They're not having meetings about specifics in regards to dollars, etc but you will not be a GM for long if you don't play by the rules governed by all.

This is not specific to the NFL, it happens in all sports and in all market forces for that matter. It's capitalism. That is how you get bubbles and busts. Simple macro economics.

jblaze

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1tm54zdb said:
EverydayImRusselin":1tm54zdb said:

How about:

3 yrs for 16 mil w/ 10 mil guaranteed. The premise that when he's 28-29 years he'll still be young enough to get a big time deal while he's still in his prime.

Yr2. 5.33
Yr3. 6.33

After the 2015 (Yr 2) season you are looking at possibly a restructure/pay-cut or be cut situation for Percy Harvin that will help alleviate the rising cap hit
Baldwin and Tate are both worth it. They are two of the most efficient, clutch WRs in the NFL and they'll only get better and better as they grow with Wilson.

Why would you give Baldwin that much when you don't have to? He's a RFA so we have the leverage. We set a 2nd round tender on him and sign him @ 2.1m (set by the league) and we're done.

rigelian

Reaction score
jblaze":3tdz1n7k said:
rigelian":3tdz1n7k said:

It is not illegal, it's implied as a general good for all. It's common sense. They're not having meetings about specifics in regards to dollars, etc but you will not be a GM for long if you don't play by the rules governed by all.

This is not specific to the NFL, it happens in all sports and in all market forces for that matter. It's capitalism. That is how you get bubbles and busts. Simple macro economics.

You're kidding. If competitors agree on a price range and the agreement falls outside of the structure of the CBA. It's price fixing. To the extent that it is not caught it may happen, it doesn't make it legal.

If you are saying it's tacit, meaning no agreement, then maybe not illegal. However, if they get together and discuss ranges of what pricing should be, it's illegal and then execute and enforce that policy, it's illegal.

Take a look at the collusion cases involving Major League Baseball in the 80s. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Le ... _collusion

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
jblaze":8sklkpjm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":8sklkpjm said:
EverydayImRusselin":8sklkpjm said:

How about:

Yr2. 5.33
Yr3. 6.33

Why would you give Baldwin that much when you don't have to? He's a RFA so we have the leverage. We set a 2nd round tender on him and sign him @ 2.1m (set by the league) and we're done.

Because they see him as a guy they'd like to keep around for a long time maybe. If you do a 1 year deal, then he could potentially command a lot more money next year especially with the WR draft class and all of the WR FA this off season helping to lower the market. If he goes off next season and earns a bigger $7m/yr type deal, then we've lost out on him.

THey may not have him in their long term plans anyway but just a though.

jblaze

Reaction score
You're not listening. It's not provable in court, thus it's not illegal for all intents and purposes. It's implied upon all front office people and it's ignorant to assume it doesn't happen. It has nothing to do with the CBA, they can't legislate something like this because it technically doesn't happen per legal enforcement.

This happens everywhere, OPEC, car manufacturers, food production, everything and everywhere. It's market influences, not collusion if you can't prove it and they're smart enough to to explicitly define such methods.

Latest posts