Would you be mad?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think your opinion on our roster is probably what 50% of Seahawks fans think. I highly doubt Pete and JS agree...and draft for the future.
That may be. Even if they crush the draft on defense, most DL rookies take a few years to really grow into their role. I just think by the time this team hits the 2012/2013 window, Geno is going to be the Hasselback and a nee QB will be required. I also think we aren't likely to have another top 5 pick for a long time.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Seattle can go toe to toe with them this season provided the defense improves .
It's possible, but I don't think they will be able to turn the defense around in 1 offseason. The defense has been trending down for the last 3 or 4 years and a 1 year turn around seems unlikely, in my opinion.

Chevy

Reaction score
That may be. Even if they crush the draft on defense, most DL rookies take a few years to really grow into their role. I just think by the time this team hits the 2012/2013 window, Geno is going to be the Hasselback and a nee QB will be required. I also think we aren't likely to have another top 5 pick for a long time.
We will have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I legit would not be happy with those picks. We would more than likely have to pass on Anderson or Carter. Players that match a need, match the skills, and match a valued position worthy of that high of a pick. That would be really infuriating.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I would be very surprised but would trust Jahn and Pete to know more than I do.
I think AR is Trey Lance 2.0, but I was wrong with Geno so it sould be surprise rather than mad. The others are fine to pick individually but I think we want at least 2 of our first 3 picks to be on D.

One strategy would be as we are not going to win the SB this season we should draft to our strengths / future needs with the expectation of finishing something like 4/13 rather than 10/7 so we can get a really high drat pick next season but Pete and John don't do that.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad with
1. AR
2. Cancey, Smith or equivalent
3. Washington (would probably have to trade up)
After reading about Hooker's low S2 score, I'm less enamored with that idea than I was.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not mad at all.

Ideally, we'd want to add to the defense. But drafts don't work that way. If you don't pick those players, who are you taking? This is kind of a weird draft. Outside of Will Anderson, there aren't a lot of really good "stud" defensive players. There are a lot of decent players -- but that pool is pretty thick.

On those specific players:

AR has tantalizing traits. He's a risk. But so are most QBs in the first round. If you are only willing to take a QB that has little risk, then you need to be prepared to have a 1-2 win season to secure him and do that in the right draft year. How many low risk QBs have there truly been in the last 10 drafts? Probably can't list 5 of them.

So to solve the QB riddle, you're going to need to take on risk and pay a heavy price. This is actually the draft to do that. Because the alternative players at other positions are really quite mundane prospects. It's not like we're passing on the next Cortez Kennedy to get a risk laden QB prospect instead.

The alternatives to a high risk, high reward QB in this class actually makes this pick quite sane.

Bijan Robinson. He's in my mind the best player at any position in this entire class. He's pretty close to Saquon Barkley coming out of college. If you pick him anywhere in the draft (including at #5), you're pretty much getting the best player in the draft on draft day.

He's really the one player in this draft that looks like he'll be a star the moment he gets into camp.

Washington is a good player. But really this is where I'd have a problem with this scenario. There are a LOT of really outstanding TE prospects in this draft. Washington isn't close to the only great inline TE prospect. I would keep draft stock (to add potential defensive players), and ride the depth of the TE class to get a pretty comparable TE alternative. Especially considering that TE is a medium/near term need, not an immediate need. If we had to walk away from this class, we still have it in our ability to retain an already strong group.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Richardson anywhere in the 1st round is folly. Wasted pick. Bijan would be cool but this defense was a shambles. Fix it 1st.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm also on board with BPA and would be fine going offense with our picks if that is where the best players are. There aren't many off-ball LBs after the third round, but everywhere else on defense I have day 3 sleepers that I could get excited about.

This draft isn't what I would do though. #20 is too early for a RB, given the RB depth in this class and our situation. #37 is also too early for Washington, given the TE depth and our TE situation - unless we also managed to swing a trade involving Fant. RB/TE/CB is where we should be able to find good players later and so I don't like spending high picks there.

I do like Richardson a lot and would be happy to draft him at #5. I'd be even happier though if him being available at #5 led to a great trade down where we picked up extra day 2 picks. We normally have 20 more players on the roster at this time of the year than we do this season and this is a big opportunity to take on a ton of young talent.

toffee

Reaction score
Lately, my mocks always focus on drafting the trenches:

Offense
Peter Skoronski or O'Cyrus Torrence; and, Luke Wypler or Joe Tippman.
Trade Fant, draft Sam LaPorta
Total: 3 picks

Defense
Kancey or Bresee; and Mazi or Benton plus Coburn.
Total: 3 picks.

To make these 6 picks happen, we have to trade down from the 5th to pick up an extra pick or two.

Case 1:
OL: O'Cyrus + Wypler + Washington, instant guard, future Center and an excellent blocking TE.
DL: Carter + Benton + Turner, run defense gotten the help it needs

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Bijan Robinson. He's in my mind the best player at any position in this entire class. He's pretty close to Saquon Barkley coming out of college. If you pick him anywhere in the draft (including at #5), you're pretty much getting the best player in the draft on draft day.

He's really the one player in this draft that looks like he'll be a star the moment he gets into camp.
I honestly like the idea of adding a top tier RB to pair with Ken Walker III.
It sounds a little crazy in that Walker could emerge as a top tier back himself.
As much emphasis as Seattle puts on establishing the run , what are the chances that KWIII gets thru the season
Without injury ? The Seahawks wouldn't have a 1-2 punch , they'd have a 1-1 punch .

It would be glorious.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We currently have five (5) picks in the first 100 picks (actually, 83).

My preference is three (3) are spent on defense (in no particular order, EDGE, a DT and a LB)... and two (2) are spent on offense (again, in no particular order, a Center, a Guard and a TE).

If we trade down and gain picks, split the gained picks equally.

Use the remaining five (5) picks to bolster the RB room, and both the DL and OL rooms... and throw in a DB or two.

Get all of that accomplished and I'm a VERY happy camper (even though I'm actually too old to still go camping).

WarHawks

Reaction score
I seriously don't understand why so many are willing to kick the qbotf can down the road. Is it just because we have Geno and Lock? Really? We finally get a chance to address it with a top pick, and people on .net are like, meh. Whatever. Just spend all our picks on D. I don't get it. It just seems so shortsighted.

OP
OP
H

HawksNation

Reaction score
I seriously don't understand why so many are willing to kick the qbotf can down the road. Is it just because we have Geno and Lock? Really? We finally get a chance to address it with a top pick, and people on .net are like, meh. Whatever. Just spend all our picks on D. I don't get it. It just seems so shortsighted.
Just imagine we take Carter, and he ends up being a bust, and Geno gets injured, it would make the pick go from bad to worse, and we will be kicking our self.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I don't like AR15, specifically at #5. If you want a razzle dazzle young QB to teach the game, you can have Trey Lance for a conditional 7th after June 1.

Maybe at 20, but hopefully someone else will take on that project by then. I don't want a project at 5.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Because all of them have flaws.

Bryce Young is a lock to be the first pick. While Stroud is being mocked to go in the top 4.

If Stroud is not available, then I'd prefer they pass on the other QB's. Especially at pick 5.

It's not shortsightedness. Reaching for a QB, is often how teams make mistakes. Instead of taking the best players available to them.

Richardson is the Trey Lance of this draft. The least experienced of the group by far, with some major flaws in his game.

I just don't see it with Levis. I think he will underwhelm for the most part, wherever he goes.

Anyone who has those two at the top of their board, simply has not done their homework.

Hooker meanwhile, should still be around at the end of the 1st Round. He's a guy, who might be worth grabbing. But there are legit questions about him as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts