Worst Seahawk losses ever (non-Superbowl)

seabowl

Reaction score
I know I know it's a negative topic but wanted to see what folks thought.

I'll start with three:

3- 2004- Hawks are 3-0 going into a BIG game vs. the Lambs. I believe they were up pretty big in the 4th when the Lambs tied it to go to OT. Then in OT they give up a long td for the loss.

2- 1998 vs Jets on the road. I was at the game and Galloway was going off with two long td catches. Then the refs late in the game decided that a helmet (not the ball) crossing the goal line was good enough so they call it a td to seal the game for the Jets.

1- 2003 vs Ravens on the road. Hawks up 41-24 with a little over 6 minutes to play. The refs then gave the Hawks TWO phantom pass interference calls (Mike Francesas comment not mine) that allowed the Ravens to score soon after each. Ravens on these bogus calls tied it at 41 and Hawks lose in OT 44-41. Worst I have ever felt after a loss knowing refs literally gave the Ravens the win (other than XL of course)

Thoughts on other games?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good list. That Ravens game cost me a few months of my life. And the remote.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
1999 AFC Wildcard vs Dolphins.
Game turned out to be Dan Marino's last W, as well as the final game in the Kingdome, but there were so many missed opportunities. We should've won that game. KITNA!!!

November 4, 1979 vs Rams
Jerhawk wasn't born yet, but this is the game where the Seahawks managed to gain -7 yards in offense vs the Rams. What?

2004 Wild card vs Rams
Dang Rams. We lost this heartbreaker and got swept 3-0 vs the Rams that year. Such a sad loss.

2003 MNF vs Cowboys

I can't remember what week it was, but I remember we blew a huge lead vs the Cowboys on MNF in Seattle and got beat by Vinny Testeverde. Keyshawn Johnson caught a game winning TD which shouldn't have counted, they recovered an onside kick. That game had me screaming

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Rams playoff game last season. That was embarrassing.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2lmt7cs5 said:
Rams playoff game last season. That was embarrassing.

Agree but was not surprised by it at all.

Added to list: not sure of the game but there was one the last couple of years where the clock management was just pathetic by Pete. Playoffs two years ago maybe?

BASF

Reaction score
seabowl":3txsu4m3 said:

I'll start with three:

3- 2004- Hawks are 3-0 going into a BIG game vs. the Lambs. I believe they were up pretty big in the 4th when the Lambs tied it to go to OT. Then in OT they give up a long td for the loss.

2- 1998 vs Jets on the road. I was at the game and Galloway was going off with two long td catches. Then the refs late in the game decided that a helmet (not the ball) crossing the goal line was good enough so they call it a td to seal the game for the Jets.

1- 2003 vs Ravens on the road. Hawks up 41-24 with a little over 6 minutes to play. The refs then gave the Hawks TWO phantom pass interference calls (Mike Francesas comment not mine) that allowed the Ravens to score soon after each. Ravens on these bogus calls tied it at 41 and Hawks lose in OT 44-41. Worst I have ever felt after a loss knowing refs literally gave the Ravens the win (other than XL of course)

Thoughts on other games?

That Ravens game was crap. The refs essentially gave the Ravens an extra timeout which allowed them to win. It was blatantly obvious that that game was fixed.

For me the '04 game against the Bills was easily one of the worst as it was my only time travelling to Seattle to see a game. We were blown out 38-9. Our guys did not take the game seriously as several of them were sitting and laughing on the sidelines as we were getting blown out. It was very disheartening. I decided that I may be a jinx to the team and have not gone to a game since.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2003tywq said:
1999 AFC Wildcard vs Dolphins.
Game turned out to be Dan Marino's last W, as well as the final game in the Kingdome, but there were so many missed opportunities. We should've won that game. KITNA!!!

November 4, 1979 vs Rams
Jerhawk wasn't born yet, but this is the game where the Seahawks managed to gain -7 yards in offense vs the Rams. What?

2004 Wild card vs Rams
Dang Rams. We lost this heartbreaker and got swept 3-0 vs the Rams that year. Such a sad loss.

2003 MNF vs Cowboys

I can't remember what week it was, but I remember we blew a huge lead vs the Cowboys on MNF in Seattle and got beat by Vinny Testeverde. Keyshawn Johnson caught a game winning TD which shouldn't have counted, they recovered an onside kick. That game had me screaming

The MNF Cowboy game was in 2004.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200412060sea.htm

It wasn't a huge lead, it was 10 points (39-29), but it was a 10 point lead with 2 minutes remaining. We did get a measure of revenge a year later when the Cowboys were nursing a 10-3 lead with less than a minute remaining and gave up 10 points in the last 40 seconds.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200510230sea.htm

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
What about a pathetic game overall where we just looked sad in a loss against a poor team?

2011 vs. the Browns. 6-3 final score. Whitehurst didn't even get to 100 yards passing, Leon Washington was the leading rusher with 39 (Forsett with 23!), lost a fumble and gave up an int. Sure, 5 sacks sounds good, but against Colt McCoy and that year's 4-12 Browns?

Only good thing to come out of that game was Bam-Bam lift/slam on running back Hardesty that made it onto Kam's list of memorable soul-stealers.

Maulbert

Reaction score

Chawker

Reaction score
Matt Hasbeck's "we want the ball and where go'in to score game." Green bay.

Or the Chuck Knox era were the Raiders kept us from going to the Superbowl, AFC championship game.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mine is burned into memory from so long ago..
It's 1978 or 79..We have a playoff game in sight and are beating
the Bronco's till Jim Zorn throws a stupid interception that gave them
the ball..My world was pretty small and all I could think of is I hope Zorn
didn't give our season away.He sure did as Jim Turner kicked the gw.I
Hated the Broncos and wanted Zorn out ever since that game.I got my wish
A few seasons too late lol.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another one I would like to forget is from 1980 where the Seahawks got roasted by Dallas 51-7 on Thanksgiving night.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
That Ravens loss really ticked me off. Didn’t want to watch any NFL games after that for a while - that and the SuperBowl loss to the refs/Steelers really pushed me away from a game that appeared to be rigged. (Like the Lakers/Kings series years ago)

The only surprise about the loss last year in the playoffs is that despite how weakened the Rams were most expected the loss.

3-2-16-4-6

Reaction score
BASF":39o3rsf0 said:
seabowl":39o3rsf0 said:

I'll start with three:

Thoughts on other games?

That Ravens game was crap. The refs essentially gave the Ravens an extra timeout which allowed them to win. It was blatantly obvious that that game was fixed.

For me the '04 game against the Bills was easily one of the worst as it was my only time travelling to Seattle to see a game. We were blown out 38-9. Our guys did not take the game seriously as several of them were sitting and laughing on the sidelines as we were getting blown out. It was very disheartening. I decided that I may be a jinx to the team and have not gone to a game since.

That Ravens game definitely was one of the first that came to mind.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":4x25ubkh said:
What about a pathetic game overall where we just looked sad in a loss against a poor team?

Last seasons Giants game. Ouch.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seriously --- just the thread header brought me back to that Ravens game. Absolutely #1 on that list.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
A few other contenders.....

1978 --- Doug Kraayeveld is the original "12th man".

1988 -- Wildcard game .... Fredd Young intercepts Boomer in OT --- but refs blew the call. Pre replay, of course.

1999 -- Wildcard game .... Dan Marino hits Tony Martin on 4th and forever on the way to the game winning drive. Last ever game in the Kingdome and still haunts me.