Wilson's Agent on right now with Brock and Salk

grizbob

Reaction score
NINEster":3hlotf73 said:
Hawkstorian":3hlotf73 said:
NINEster":3hlotf73 said:
Little by little the choir boy image is eroding for Wilson.

The only thing that's eroding your image of who you think Russell Wilson "really" is based on the narrative that you choose to listen to.

We'll see.

The .NET narrative was always that he is not only the best or top 3 QB in the league but a better human being than the average Joe. Not everyone on here is like this, but even the supposedly neutral know it all Kearly buys into it.

I've never seen that narrative for a franchise QB ever in my life, and I've been watching the NFL since the mid '80s. Even Montana in his prime didn't get showered with this level of unconditional support. Only now long after he is retired is he looked at with such reverence.

That's why I find this normally silly thing to follow so fascinating.

I can only imagine how much it sucks being a ninner fan right now. I would think you have enough problems of your own to be trolling here. :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
"There's value in winning." - Wilson's agent.

I found that to be an interesting quote, because I've sort been wondering how the leverage in this negotiation and also our perception of it would be affected if Chris Matthews never recovered that onside kick in the NFCCG. Could Wilson's agent negotiate from a position of power if the Seahawks' season ended on a 0 TD/4 INT performance from its QB? Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson deserves to be paid. However, it's amazing how the randomest and unlikeliest plays can affect our perception of value and create "chips" for an agent to use.

Based on what Mark Rodgers said, I think he'd definitely take Russell to free agency if not for the team's ability to franchise him for three years. I'm not convinced Rodgers believes there's any benefit at all for Russell to get this deal done super early. Not to say the deal won't get done this offseason, but Rodgers seems like the kind of guy who would advise his client to wait unless their numbers are truly met.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So I listened to it twice now, and the words fair and reasonable were said many times, 95% of what is being off point. He said being highest paid was not most important or a goal. Mentions that the tag price is very very high and not club friendly for a team. That tell you something with that number being 25mil. The fact that to him that is very very high tells you 25 mil is not the number. The number is less. Sorry for those haters I did not hear anything but good stuff.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2houggmx said:
Tical21":2houggmx said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

If this is still going on in 2016 and 2017? Then I'm with you, because franchising a QB can destroy a salary cap.

But I'm not there yet, as things still seem positive from both sides.

If the reports are true that Wilson wants 25 mil/year or more, then franchising him won't destroy our cap room, because franchising him is somewhere around 17/18 mil/year. We're saving a lot of money. If Wilson gets tagged 3 times concurrrently, then yea, it's going to hurt, but I honestly can't see that happening.

If the worst case scenario is that Wilson plays for the roughly 45 million in 3 years that Kearly surmised in his other post, then at that point we're going to be getting a couple of contacts off of the books that can allow us to give Russ that money. The cap will also be higher. The problem with that is at that point 25 mil/year might be a bargain.

Not this year but next year I can see us bouncing Bennett if he continues to be a pain in the ass. His brother is also holding out in Chicago, so this is not just a Michael issue.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w9yjjz8 said:
gowazzu02":1w9yjjz8 said:
I can also guarentee you he nor his client want to play at 1.5 this year and then get franchised the next 3 years. Especially with the brand of football RW plays. Let's be honest he opens himself up for much more punishment then the average qb.

Logically this makes sense, but I honestly don't get this impression from Russell. He's seems confident and content in his ability to escape serious injury.........and it has ZERO factor in the contract negotiations.

Now maybe that's just leverage talking, but if it is, Russell's certainly convincing.

This is a great point and I'd agree. Wilson doesn't seem to play scared of being hurt. He's also so smart about taking hits, that honestly, he takes more hits in the pocket than anywhere else.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11errneo said:
gowazzu02":11errneo said:
I can also guarentee you he nor his client want to play at 1.5 this year and then get franchised the next 3 years. Especially with the brand of football RW plays. Let's be honest he opens himself up for much more punishment then the average qb.

Logically this makes sense, but I honestly don't get this impression from Russell. He's seems confident and content in his ability to escape serious injury.........and it has ZERO factor in the contract negotiations.

Now maybe that's just leverage talking, but if it is, Russell's certainly convincing.
I believe that's because Wilson totally understands what the Seahawks are trying to achieve Offensively, and also understands that there are very few, if any Quarterbacks that have the Physical AND Mental agility/ability to come in and give the Seahawks everything he is already giving them.
I mean, who could they plug in at QB and not miss a beat?.....NOBODY.
The question posed to Mark Rodgers in that interview about weather he thought that Russell Wilson would be considered a Franchise Quarterback anywhere else in the League (or something to that effect), and I'd honestly have to answer with a resounding hell yes.
It should be obvious to all those who are asking that question, Russell Wilson isn't a one trick pony, and in fact, I think he has the capabilities to shape his play to fit with a lot of other teams around the League, and that the reverse is not true.
Could you imagine what the Cowboys would look with RW at he helm?, the Eagles?, the Broncos? Etc.
My only concern with all this negotiating is, with RW's style of play, and a shitty Pass Protection, what would happen should RW gets injured?
There's way more to the equation, and it isn't just Marshawn Lynch that is making the Seahawks Offense a flaming success.

MVP53

Reaction score
NINEster":19g8knvi said:
Hawkstorian":19g8knvi said:
NINEster":19g8knvi said:

The only thing that's eroding your image of who you think Russell Wilson "really" is based on the narrative that you choose to listen to.

We'll see.

The .NET narrative was always that he is not only the best or top 3 QB in the league but a better human being than the average Joe. Not everyone on here is like this, but even the supposedly neutral know it all Kearly buys into it.

I've never seen that narrative for a franchise QB ever in my life, and I've been watching the NFL since the mid '80s. Even Montana in his prime didn't get showered with this level of unconditional support. Only now long after he is retired is he looked at with such reverence.

Has Wilson done something this off season to prove he's not a top shelf QB, or a swell guy?

I mean, he's negotiating a contract, like almost every player in the NFL does at some point, but other than that?

PackerNation

Reaction score
NINEster":2nc6cb4d said:
We'll see.

Yea, I beg to differ there. It was never an issue with Montana because the 49ers flat out made sure he was the highest paid QB at the time without even so much as a lengthy contract dispute. (According to the annual salary survey conducted by the NFL Players Association, Montana signed a four-year, $13 million contract this year, averaging $3.25 million. This year, Montana also became the first player to earn $4 million in base salary. His base salary was $1.2 million in '89.)

He was the heart soul of the team and the most loved 49er of his era. It wasn't until he was too old and they had Young that it became a real problem and, as I recall, it caused huge problems in the fan base when Young took over. Start reading interviews of players who played with him. Montana raised the level of everyone around him, especially in big games.

The approach the 49ers took and what the Seahawks are taking now are completely opposite. The Seahawks want Wilson to give them a cap friendly long term deal so that the team can remain competitive and pay other good talent to play for them in hopes of getting more rings. It is a sound strategy by the front office. On a side note, the different eras in football also come into play and are not lost when discussing this post.

However, Wilson wants to get paid like the top QB he is and while he loves the idea of a cap friendly contract, he doesn't not want that to apply to him. He will not sacrifice "his" pay for the greater good the team unless he is making a ton of money already. He may restructure later on or take a pay cut here and there but Wilson wants his contract and wants his top 5 QB money. He will get it.

Schneider will give it to him in the end because he knows he has a rare QB and Schneider is very familiar with the level of play a rare QB will give your team. Win forever philosophy, not "win now" philosophy. He also is aware of building around Wilson for the future but wants as much money as he can to keep and acquire more talent.

The real question is how well can Schneider do with a $16-$20 million QB. Because that is the very least it will cost the Seahawks. Welcome to the elite QB club. Expensive but worth it.

McGruff

Reaction score
PackerNation":v9tu7pxr said:
Welcome to the elite QB club. Expensive but worth it.

This right here is all that needs to be said.

But I will add this to the Montana/Wilson discussion, as well as the difference the NFL Salary Cap makes in complicating matters.

Montana signed his blockbuster deal when there was no salary cap. The Niners could pay whatever the owners could afford, and they could do the same for Rice and Craig and Jones, and Taylor and Haley and Lott.

But when the NFL introduced the Salary Cap in 1994, the lanscape changed drastically in regards to negotiations. It was no longer a negotiation against the owner's pocketbook, but a negotiation against the guy in the locker next to you, because the richest owner in the world (Paul Allen?) cannot simply give everybody what they want and keep them happy.

Montana could say "I want $4 million" and if the owner had $4 million in the couch cushions he could give it to him. Now Wilson could ask for $20 million and even though Paul has the money, he can't just give it to him. He has to think about Bobby and others. And so the negotiation ensues.

One other thing about different eras. This off season has been a testimony to the power of modern social media. Whether that is players tweeting obtusely, fake accounts spreading rumors, beat reporters breaking stories on twitter . . . everything private is public and there are no closed doors anymore. By choice or force, players don't have private lives anymore. I would suggest that there was just as much bargaining, bickering, beating, partying, etc. going on in 1989 as there was now, but every Tom, Dick and Harry with a smart phone and a twitter account didn't have access to the masses to broadcast it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":1lxwlmjp said:
Hawkstorian":1lxwlmjp said:
NINEster":1lxwlmjp said:

We'll see.

I have no clue which Joe Montana you seem to be referring to but that guy that won 3-4 Superbowls and nearly got Kansas City into one was always popular and revered in the Bay Area until the very last and even then was respected by his haters among the fan base, which wasn't many.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":20doqysu said:
Sgt. Largent":20doqysu said:
Tical21":20doqysu said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

If this is still going on in 2016 and 2017? Then I'm with you, because franchising a QB can destroy a salary cap.

But I'm not there yet, as things still seem positive from both sides.

If the reports are true that Wilson wants 25 mil/year or more, then franchising him won't destroy our cap room, because franchising him is somewhere around 17/18 mil/year. We're saving a lot of money. If Wilson gets tagged 3 times concurrrently, then yea, it's going to hurt, but I honestly can't see that happening.

A hard cap hit of 17/18M is way more than an escalating cap hit of 10-12M for the first couple years of a big 20-25M per year contract with deferred bonus money........which is how most QB contracts have been structured over the past couple of years.

Drew Brees is just now getting to the 25M per year hit, and his contract is three years old

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans- ... rew-brees/

That's why I said 2016 or 2017, sure a 17M hit in 2016 isn't dire, but it's more than a smaller cap friendly hit would be if Russell signs a long extension, and then it really gets ugly in 2017 and 2018 with the franchise escalator.

mikeak

Reaction score
There was also no internet chat forums when Montana signed his deal. So who knows what people thought.....

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mikeak":3o57qv3l said:
There was also no internet chat forums when Montana signed his deal. So who knows what people thought.....

There were local bulletin boards for internet conversation. I did not belong to any here in my area, but they were out there for the Commodore community. But we did the internet the old fashioned way.....we talked in a bar. LOL

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2ynj5fbi said:
mikeak":2ynj5fbi said:

There were local bulletin boards for internet conversation. I did not belong to any here in my area, but they were out there for the Commodore community. But we did the internet the old fashioned way.....we talked in a bar. LOL

Well I agree and that is my point. I am sure there was both loving on athletes and complaining (drunk people would definitely do both)

So for someone to say they have never seen this even for Montana is putting it in the wrong light IMHO. Just like if Barry Sanders said athletes are dumb because he never got in trouble using Twitter when he played....,

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Now that we have listened to the demands of Russell's agent, we now know exactly what is happening in the "Mexican stand-off" with the Seahawk Front Office.. I'm always amazed at how a majority of the posters here love to talk around the main issue....MONEY.......as the agent wants the most he can get.....sooner or later. He perceives his job as getting the maximum amount of money for his client. He could care less about his client's image as he knows that sport fans have a very short memory. He could care less about how his negotiations make the image of the Seahawk Front office appear in public. Football and baseball agents are the most selfish persons in America....and they could care less what you think about them! It's all about...."What's in it for me."

mikeak

Reaction score
^ unlike the rest of us that always do what is best for others and never for ourselves.........

The 99% mentality is very prevelant on this board

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
NINEster":bpylk1l1 said:

And whatever the outcome of this negotiation, the NFC West will benefit.

Wilson gets overpaid, less money for Wagner et al. At a high enough price point does Wagner become a cap casualty?

Wilson gets "underpaid", and his unhappiness will come out somehow and negatively affect the team.

If I was a Seahawk fan I would be annoyed at Wilson.

If he wanted to "deserve" what he asks then he should have played better his final two games of the 2014 season. Bottom line, an "elite", "top 5" QB wins those games decisively for the Seahawks, no questions asked.

If I were a whiner fan I would focus on the sucktitude that is the Santa Clara 49ers.

We may have problems, but you have a nightmare.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Could someone send RW a link to the video of Joe Theismann getting snapped in two by LT?

He might think harder about playing for 1.5 next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2015/05/28/transcript-of-the-entire-26-minutes-russell-wilsons-agent-mark-rodgers-spoke-today-on-seattles-710-espn-radio/[/urltargetblank]

At the news tribune blog, they transcribed the interview. You can read it at the link above for those that can't (or don't want to) listen to it.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
9ster, you are hilarious in an unfunny kind of way.

You're right, little by little. In about 30 years we'll realize that Russ is just a regular nice guy. BTW, what does this have to do with how he plays on the field?

And whatever the outcome of this negotiation, the NFC West will benefit.
Yes, because having to face RW for another decade will greatly benefit the rest of the NFC West.

Wilson gets overpaid, less money for Wagner et al. At a high enough price point does Wagner become a cap casualty?
I'm confused? Overpaid? Oh, you mean fair market value for a stud QB. So, wouldn't it then be Wagner who we should all be annoyed with because he will want to get "overpaid" as well?

Wilson gets "underpaid", and his unhappiness will come out somehow and negatively affect the team.
How can he be "underpaid"? He gets what he thinks he deserves, he walks or he is franchised at the top five average for QBs.

If I was a Seahawk fan I would be annoyed at Wilson.
But you're not a Seahawk fan. What you "would be" is irrelevant.

If he wanted to "deserve" what he asks then he should have played better his final two games of the 2014 season. Bottom line, an "elite", "top 5" QB wins those games decisively for the Seahawks, no questions asked.
Well then Mr. Insider, what amount is he asking for? You must surely know since you imply that he doesn't deserve it. I'm sure you would be very unhappy to have RW as your quarterback.

P.S. - enjoy last place

Latest posts