Wilson

LTH

Reaction score
I think we must explore the possibility that Wilson just wants to be a gunslinger and throw throw the ball long all the time... That's really what he wants to be... I think he has proven that.

I'm not going to do it but, I betcha if you look at the stats you will see that when the Hawks run the ball 25-30 times a game there record is better than when they run it say 15-20 times a game..

Is the loss on SW? maybe not. Why does this O look similar to Schotty?

Sgt Largent brought up a good point in Wilson could be changing the play at the LOS..

Wilson is a great QB but he may be the problem as well as the solution...

thoughts?

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think you might be right. None of us really know whats going on with the plays between Wilson, Pete, and the OC. Whatever it is, they just arent compatible. I think Pete wants to run the ball for the majority of the game, but I just dont know if the offense is capable of that. Russ seems to have a buddy system with Tyler and DK in which they want all the glory thus the deep passes all the time. And Waldron seems like he wants misdirection and timing plays that are dependent on the players doing something with the ball after the catch. Regardless of what it is, it doesnt mesh between the three of them. A shake up needs to happen either way because the team is stuck in limbo.

I've been calling for Petes head for years now but its a sticky situation. Maybe it is on Russ. Both are good enough for division titles and playoff appearances together, but not good enough to move any further together. What to do?

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
I think Russ checked into the run on the big Alex Collins end of half run and the failed 4th down conversion (3rd qtr I think?) so there is good and bad that goes with that. What I don't understand is if we want to be a running team per Pete why do we have a makeshift Center in Kyle Fuller then, he got beat multitude times on Sunday...just wait for Aaron Donald and Chandler Jones if he lines up in the middle.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3vzkydul said:
I think you might be right. None of us really know whats going on with the plays between Wilson, Pete, and the OC. Whatever it is, they just arent compatible. I think Pete wants to run the ball for the majority of the game, but I just dont know if the offense is capable of that. Russ seems to have a buddy system with Tyler and DK in which they want all the glory thus the deep passes all the time. And Waldron seems like he wants misdirection and timing plays that are dependent on the players doing something with the ball after the catch. Regardless of what it is, it doesnt mesh between the three of them. A shake up needs to happen either way because the team is stuck in limbo.

I've been calling for Petes head for years now but its a sticky situation. Maybe it is on Russ. Both are good enough for division titles and playoff appearances together, but not good enough to move any further together. What to do?

Well.... If it is an issue which we don't really know, Russ's contract is coming up and we will find out. Personally I like Wilson a lot but no player is bigger than the team. A lot of people are not going to like that but Wilson's ambitions of being great might be hindering him and the team in Carroll's philosophy... I like Carroll's philosophy its a proven winner but if Russ doesn't buy in 100 percent its not going to work.

LTH

xray

Reaction score
Wilson is his own biggest fan and also his own biggest enemy . If he is changing plays to showcase himself , he better be right or lose that privilege asap . He will probably get a gold jacket someday , but he will get in on a QB level of a Philip Rivers ; not on a Brady , Brees , Bradshaw , Montana , etc level . Don't tell him that though . He thinks he's the bomb , just ask him . He's pretty good , but will never be considered one of the elites . IMO

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":2fvaptpi said:
pittpnthrs":2fvaptpi said:

Well.... If it is an issue which we don't really know, Russ's contract is coming up and we will find out. Personally I like Wilson a lot but no player is bigger than the team. A lot of people are not going to like that but Wilson's ambitions of being great might be hindering him and the team in Carroll's philosophy... I like Carroll's philosophy its a proven winner but if Russ doesn't buy in 100 percent its not going to work.

LTH

Carrolls antiquated philosophy is a proven winner only when you have the horses to execute it. Seattle hasent had those types of horses in years so its a mute point. When Pete can change and adapt his philosophy to the players and talent the team currently has, i'll quit calling for his head. So far, he hasent shown the ability so he's an issue.

Wilson has two more years on his contract and then I hope he leaves or Carroll steps down. They need a break from each other and it'll answer a lot of questions.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":6628wzvr said:
LTH":6628wzvr said:
pittpnthrs":6628wzvr said:

LTH

Carrolls antiquated philosophy is a proven winner only when you have the horses to execute it. Seattle hasent had those types of horses in years so its a mute point. When Pete can change and adapt his philosophy to the players and talent the team currently has, i'll quit calling for his head. So far, he hasent shown the ability so he's an issue.

Wilson has two more years on his contract and then I hope he leaves or Carroll steps down. They need a break from each other and it'll answer a lot of questions.

I dont fully agree with you I think they do have the horses to execute it. Carson is a good running back and Collins is a good back as well... their just not running the ball enough. To me it looks like there could be a philosophy difference.. we will see... when the Hawks run the ball 25+ times a game they win more often than not. just my take

LTH

hoxrox

Reaction score
How often does Russ audible at the line, or decide the play with Waldron on the sideline?

I've read several posts mentioning this happening last Sunday.

In interviews, when asked about the SW offense, he has the perfunctory things to say about it. But then he always adds something to this effect "but we've done some great things in the past"

Likewise, I've heard SW say they run new concepts but will also implement what has worked in "the past"

Last Sunday looked a lot like "the past" to me.

Then in Monday's presser, Pete reveals at the end that Russ has the complete freedom to change or call the play as he wishes.

Is this now Russell's offense this year? What is the dynamic here?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What horses does Seattle lack?

They've got great run blockers on the line and a very good feature back. They can run it if they want to. It doesn't always work, just like it didnt for the Titans in the first half.

I'd like to see them rushing it more. Or, at least throwing the ball short with extremely high completion probability throws. Otherwise, they're going to get absolutely shat on in time of possession by teams with good rushing attacks and the defense will be absolutely dead by the fourth quarter.

Its only game 2 with a new OC though. Gotta give them time to find balance.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
hoxrox":r7rf2itm said:
How often does Russ audible at the line, or decide the play with Waldron on the sideline?

I've read several posts mentioning this happening last Sunday.

In interviews, when asked about the SW offense, he has the perfunctory things to say about it. But then he always adds something to this effect "but we've done some great things in the past"

Likewise, I've heard SW say they run new concepts but will also implement what has worked in "the past"

Last Sunday looked a lot like "the past" to me.

Then in Monday's presser, Pete reveals at the end that Russ has the complete freedom to change or call the play as he wishes.

Is this now Russell's offense this year? What is the dynamic here?

I dont know for sure. I just know that if Russ has the chance to throw a 8 yard pass to get the first down or a 25 yard pass into double coverage to Metcalf its seems like its a 50-50 thing... I think he should play it safe and take the first down... I saw him at least twice throw long instead of taking the safe route... Now when he completes that long pass he is a hero when he doesn't, then hero? Not so much. when they have the lead he should take the 8 yard pass for the first down and burn the clock. But It just seems like Wilson wants to be a gun slinger and to do that you have to take chances...

Its the difference between Brady caliber and wantabe Brady caliber

Just my take

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":2449rcu7 said:
pittpnthrs":2449rcu7 said:
LTH":2449rcu7 said:
pittpnthrs":2449rcu7 said:

LTH

I dont fully agree with you I think they do have the horses to execute it. Carson is a good running back and Collins is a good back as well... their just not running the ball enough. To me it looks like there could be a philosophy difference.. we will see... when the Hawks run the ball 25+ times a game they win more often than not. just my take

LTH

Petes philosophy is also to keep games close, control the clock, limit turnovers, and depend on the defense to make stops and shutdown the other teams offense. Seattle certainly doesnt have the defense to do that, but Pete still schemes like they do. Thats what frustrates me the most. This Seahawk team needs to outscore and win shootouts against the other teams. There should never be a foot lifted off of the pedal.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":35ja5cnl said:
LTH":35ja5cnl said:
pittpnthrs":35ja5cnl said:
LTH":35ja5cnl said:

LTH

LTH

Petes philosophy is also to keep games close, control the clock, limit turnovers, and depend on the defense to make stops and shutdown the other teams offense. Seattle certainly doesnt have the defense to do that, but Pete still schemes like they do. Thats what frustrates me the most. This Seahawk team needs to outscore and win shootouts against the other teams. There should never be a foot lifted off of the pedal.

There are some issues with the corners for sure as we saw last week. they have some cap space hopefully they make a move or one of the younger guys they just picked up steps up cause the titans just made a blue print on the Hawks D... which by the way is more of a reason to run the ball and control the clock.

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
I've said before that it seems Russ's 'natural' read progression is long, medium, short rather than the opposite.

He does seem to always be looking for the long ball when what is needed is a simple 1st down. It's been noted many times that he will often go for the deep ball on 3d down when there is an acceptable checkdown that would net another set of downs. I know people like to blame the defense for Sunday's meltdown, but failute to get a 1st down when up by 2 TD's is a recipe for losing. They never established any semblance of a run game with Carson at any point in the game.

Russ is our best QB ever, but he doesn't seem to have the patience to work the short passing game to any effect.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2hw476oi said:

They've got great run blockers on the line and a very good feature back. They can run it if they want to. It doesn't always work, just like it didnt for the Titans in the first half.

I'd like to see them rushing it more. Or, at least throwing the ball short with extremely high completion probability throws. Otherwise, they're going to get absolutely shat on in time of possession by teams with good rushing attacks and the defense will be absolutely dead by the fourth quarter.

Have you seen that defense? Seattle doesnt have the horses to execute Petes philosophy like he wants. Carson will have limited carries because Seattle will be in the midst of shootouts most of the time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":7lvd8k3c said:
pittpnthrs":7lvd8k3c said:
LTH":7lvd8k3c said:
pittpnthrs":7lvd8k3c said:

LTH

There are some issues with the corners for sure as we saw last week. they have some cap space hopefully they make a move or one of the younger guys they just picked up steps up cause the titans just made a blue print on the Hawks D... which by the way is more of a reason to run the ball and control the clock.

LTH

The corners are a major issue. I dont think it can be fixed at this point unless there's a savior out there i'm missing. Besides the corners, the Dline doesnt have the depth I had hoped for and besides Dunlap, the DE position is filled with JAGS. I had high hopes for Green, but who knows if he'll pan out like I would want him to. Brooks looked like crap last game too. Honestly, besides Wagner, I have zero confidence in anybody on the defensive side of the ball and that includes the 70 million dollar safety. Add in Nortons total incompetence, its going to be a long year for that defense.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3nhw83l7 said:

Besides Jeff Simmons, the Titans' d-line isn't that good but they won at the line of scrimmage most of the day.

Maybe our oline was too banged up to run on them. Or maybe there wasn't enough horizontal or outside run plays called.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":rel7rkpa said:
I've said before that it seems Russ's 'natural' read progression is long, medium, short rather than the opposite.

He does seem to always be looking for the long ball when what is needed is a simple 1st down. It's been noted many times that he will often go for the deep ball on 3d down when there is an acceptable checkdown that would net another set of downs. I know people like to blame the defense for Sunday's meltdown, but failute to get a 1st down when up by 2 TD's is a recipe for losing. They never established any semblance of a run game with Carson at any point in the game.

Russ is our best QB ever, but he doesn't seem to have the patience to work the short passing game to any effect.

As usual your right on point. lets hope Carroll gives Waldron and Russ an earful because in my opinion they need that run game and they need to be able to control the clock..

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":63l0s3d6 said:
Maelstrom787":63l0s3d6 said:

Have you seen that defense? Seattle doesnt have the horses to execute Petes philosophy like he wants. Carson will have limited carries because Seattle will be in the midst of shootouts most of the time.

Fair. Thought we were just talking about the rushing offense.

Still, they gotta do something to prolong drives. The defense doesn't stand a chance if theyre on the field for 45 minutes.

The defense CAN be good with the strong front seven and two good safeties. No way with the load they saw in week 2, though.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wilson checks into a lot of running plays during the game.

The passing chart from Next Gen stats also shows he throws a lot of short and long stuff. He just doesn't throw over the intermediate middle. The reality is, very few QBs throw over the middle on intermediate routes. We can look at the passing chart for Rodgers, Mahomes...and you'll find that they don't throw over the middle beyond 20-30 yards that often. That's why they have low turnovers.

hoxrox

Reaction score
sutz":yh2dh9fe said:

This was apparent to me last year, and we're kind of seeing it again this year.

I get Wilson's perspective - in big time situations, get your best players the ball (DK/Lockett).

But I would have been happy to just get a first down on 3rd and 4, with a screen pass to Collins, for example.

Latest posts