Wilson ...NOT....on the run...WHY

Jville

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ivnvmse said:
Jville":1ivnvmse said:
Opponent defenses have studied and adapted to what Wilson can and can't do. Their goal is to contain him within the pocket. Edge defenders have gotten better and better at containment.

All of a sudden? Did Wilson get slower and more predictable after week 9?

I know correlation does not equal causation, but the O-line and the offense in general has been completely out of sync since Britt went down. The O-line isn’t communicating with each other effectively or calling the proper protections. I know Hunt at times SEEMS serviceable but I don’t think it’s a coincidence. Britt may be as important as Lane Johnson to Wentz.

I think Britt's loss hurt. But out on the edges, they were better earlier in the year when they had a deeper corp of tight ends. That is a position group that has also eroded thru injury and trade.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Scorpion05":856xzg2i said:
Jville":856xzg2i said:
Opponent defenses have studied and adapted to what Wilson can and can't do. Their goal is to contain him within the pocket. Edge defenders have gotten better and better at containment.

All of a sudden? Did Wilson get slower and more predictable after week 9?

I know correlation does not equal causation, but the O-line and the offense in general has been completely out of sync since Britt went down. The O-line isn’t communicating with each other effectively or calling the proper protections. I know Hunt at times SEEMS serviceable but I don’t think it’s a coincidence. Britt may be as important as Lane Johnson to Wentz.
Very true and I would say on the other side of the ball, without Diggs the defense is hopeless. They revert back to the spineless soft zone without him in there. If losing one guy (not your QB) causes you to play a completely different style of football, you got problems.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LymonHawk":3810eaxp said:
Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream; merrily, merilly..... :roll:

LOL! Thanks Lymon for the laugh...Indeed.

All kidding aside, there can be no doubt that Russell has lost a step or four. He simply lacks the burst and juking ability he used to enjoy. Pirouetting his way out of pressure was his bread and butter. Now, after the snap, his shoulders start to shrug after a five or six step drop and he shrinks into easy sacks. What gives?

It's not age. He's 31 and in his prime. And while he's obviously slower than he used to be, it's not that he can't still use his legs. I think it's two things: One, he's suffering from injury that he and/or the team is hiding from everyone - including the league - and two, I think the play calling is predicating his lack of mobility. Whether it's simply the play calling or that he is being told to stay in the pocket as much as possible (i.e. protect the investment) or both, there is something going on here, I can smell it.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":192vezg0 said:
LymonHawk":192vezg0 said:
Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream; merrily, merilly..... :roll:

All kidding aside, there can be no doubt that Russell has lost a step or four. He simply lacks the burst and juking ability he used to enjoy. Pirouetting his way out of pressure was his bread and butter. Now, after the snap, his shoulders start to shrug after a five or six step drop and he shrinks into easy sacks. What gives?

It's not age. He's 31 and in his prime. And while he's obviously slower than he used to be, it's not that he can't still use his legs. I think it's two things: One, he's suffering from injury that he and/or the team is hiding from everyone - including the league - and two, I think the play calling is predicating his lack of mobility. Whether it's simply the play calling or that he is being told to stay in the pocket as much as possible (i.e. protect the investment) or both, there is something going on here, I can smell it.

I think injury, he was in the report for a few weeks. That said if our oline could block or the play calling was better it would not matter.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
John63":3r7ayoqx said:
I think injury, he was in the report for a few weeks. That said if our oline could block or the play calling was better it would not matter.

Certainly. Our OL is a M*A*S*H unit right now which was clearly evident today. Any QB would struggle with our OL...It's damn depressing but life in the NFL. Which is why I think our play calling is crap. They need to put him in better positions to succeed knowing he doesn't have the protection he has had earlier in the season. And if he is injured, which I believe he is, all the more reason to set up max protect schemes and other schemes to work around the issue.

What I saw today was a blatant disregard for the reality of the situation and the Cardinals were all too happy to capitalize.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":3msjlnqa said:
John63":3msjlnqa said:

Certainly. Our OL is a M*A*S*H unit right now which was clearly evident today. Any QB would struggle with our OL...It's damn depressing but life in the NFL. Which is why I think our play calling is crap. They need to put him in better positions to succeed knowing he doesn't have the protection he has had earlier in the season. And if he is injured, which I believe he is, all the more reason to set up max protect schemes and other schemes to work around the issue.

What I saw today was a blatant disregard for the reality of the situation and the Cardinals were all too happy to capitalize.

Agreed and if it was just today it would be easier to deal with but it has been consistently like this over the years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We weren't exactly on plan A this game on either of the side of the ball. In the 2nd quarter today for a stretch we had backup LT Jones next to backup G/C Pocic next to backup OC Hunt. Add in the Dissly injury earlier in the season, our top three RBs out for the season, the Gordon suspension and now Russ looking a bit hampered the last three weeks.

It sucks, but you don't need to find a scapegoat. That's just how the NFL is every single season.

peppersjap

Reaction score
He is definitely slower, I would just love to see them get him out of the pocket and let him create. Not having Duane Brown today was huge.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":ei2kpqo9 said:
LymonHawk":ei2kpqo9 said:

What gives is he has lost more than just a step.
He is 31 which is old for a runner,maybe time has
caught up to him faster than expected.
It happens..Some players age faster than others.
He could be injured but I doubt they would try to
hide it after getting caught multiple times.
We are at what I feared would happen when he
no longer can run.
His game depends on ability to move and be a
threat to run.
I hate to see this and I never wanted it to get to
this point in the first place.

RCATES

Reaction score
Russ is what he is. Terribly inconsistent and has stretches where he’s god awful. Arizona had a bottom 5 secondary. Russ couldn’t do jack shot against them. Can’t believe people were crowning him MVP earlier. He’s average at best.

RCATES

Reaction score
Jville":3ir2gs5s said:
Ding ding ding. Been saying this for years.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":y5ykjdb2 said:
Russ is what he is. Terribly inconsistent and has stretches where he’s god awful. Arizona had a bottom 5 secondary. Russ couldn’t do jack shot against them. Can’t believe people were crowning him MVP earlier. He’s average at best.

You must be in heaven now that you found some ammunition to shoot Wilson down finally. :roll:
Back come your true colors and agenda to crap all over Wilson. Too bad you are blinded with hate to the point you cannot see anything other than Wilson as a reason we lose. It's pointless to talk to you because of this distorted view and mission to hate on #3.

I look forward to you going back to hiding or "quitting" again. :pukeface:

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I look for Russ to be running a LOT next week. It's not that he's too old or decrepit, it's just been too risky. If Russ goes down, we're finished, the year is over.

Next week they are pulling out all the stops, in part because we have no other option. If we win, we have a shot at a 1st round bye, and time for Penney and others to possibly come back. If we lose, that's it for the season. We're not the type of wild card team that's going to win 3 straight road games against playoff-caliber teams.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockHuard/status/1208901059722149888[/tweet]

maybe there is something to this....Shotty isn't the best oc but no way he doesn't try something with Russ all game but sit back and get tee'd off on unless he had to. Russ looked very stationary outside when he had to just run for his life. Or maybe Shotty is just that bad.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Let's see what he pulls out in the playoffs--which start next week.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

John63

Reaction score
RCATES":d7w1njw5 said:

well that did not take long, to bad as usual your facts are wrong. Find me a QB who has not had bad games? I can wait but you will not. Also, the fact he was hit, hurried or sacked on 12 of his first 15 drop backs and it got worse as the game wen ton has something to do with it. Bu they I know nothing will change your mind, your desire to hate is to big, and to pathetic. I will pray for you.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it's Pete and Schotty trying to focus on him being more Bree's then Tarkington.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":u043enu1 said:
I think it's Pete and Schotty trying to focus on him being more Bree's then Tarkington.

Looks more Dilfer than Brees