Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Whether we want to admit it or not, there is at least some validity to what Tical is saying.

There also is validity to the fact that great QB's are VERY helpful in making Super Bowl runs.

It stinks that the hawks (and other teams) are put in this position. The Seahawks almost (in some ways) had to sign Russ....but in doing so, they have made it really really difficult to put together a competitive roster capable of competing for championships.

We will have to see if they can draft well enough to overcome this. And hope that Russ is the outlier in the vast land of highly paid QB's sinking the rest of their teams roster.

Lets pray hes a new trend setter! :D

Rat

Reaction score
All these "haters" comments are unproductive, and feel like a gross exaggeration intended to prop up the fandom of certain insecure people. I seriously have not seen anyone on here "hating" on Russell; pretty much everyone agrees that he's great. Some people question whether spending so much money on one player in a cap-strapped league is the best use of resources when attempting to build a team that can be competitive in the long-term, but that's hardly an indictment of Russell's abilities as a QBs. It's a debate that has raged through many of the NFL's front offices in recent years. Heck, the fact that Russ wasn't simply handed a blank check indicates that our front office likely had the same discussion. It's a fair thing to question. In the near future, the front offices of the Colts, Chiefs, Rams, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears, Texans, and probably others will be burning the midnight oil having the same discussions. Hopefully, our situation ends up exhibit A of why a franchise qb IS worth of that kind of investment.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":b3flix9l said:
This deal was a mistake.
No it wasn’t.

Hopefully fans can now focus on football instead of contracts.

Silly season is now officially over!!! :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":bc4vgay9 said:
Tical21":bc4vgay9 said:
Sgt. Largent":bc4vgay9 said:
Tical21":bc4vgay9 said:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth. If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened. I am more of a Seahawks fan than a Wilson fan. I want the Seahawks to win. And their chances of doing so were negatively impacted today. You can say "Go hawks" all you want, but what you really mean is "Go Russell, screw the Hawks." Today, the Seahawks cemented the fact that they aren't going to win a Super Bowl in the coming years. If you want to celebrate that, go ahead.

Nothing's changed except the salaries.

Look back over the past 20-25 SB winners, it's all top 10 QB's. I get what you're saying, I do. It's much more difficult to win with paying your QB 20% of your cap.

But that doesn't mean you remove the one person on the team that gives you the best chance to win. It means you do a better job of drafting and acquiring.

Russell on the Hawk's last year, 10-6. Russell not on the Hawk's last year, probably 3-13 at best. It's as simple as that, Russell = wins. No Russell = who the hell knows, probably not good.
Question is which one gives you a better chance of a championship.

Having a franchise QB.

If the choice is between breaking the bank for a franchise QB, or lacking one, the former is the better choice. Neither is ideal, but you need a franchise QB.
Well said sir!

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jp0bax2v said:
It would be interesting to look a list of all the QB's certain teams have went thru, and still don't have their guy.
Teams like Miami, Buffalo etc. Shoot, look how many Cleveland went thru until they finally hit on one.

Here is a start.

Browns list

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":25dbxptw said:
The Seahawks almost (in some ways) had to sign Russ....but in doing so, they have made it really really difficult to put together a competitive roster capable of competing for championships.

It has become...more difficult.

But Pete and John played the cards they were dealt by Russ and the NFL. He didn't have to ask to become the most expensive player in history, and the NFL didn't have to slowly change the sport to make the quarterback so screechingly important. For Pete and John, it was either sign him or start all over again. So I don't blame the front office for this.

Besides, we're talking about the QB position, a spot that elevates other players, and a player that not only does the same but covers over the weakness of others. Wilson can succeed with scrubs on the OL. We know that because there's never been a season in which he HASN'T done exactly that, except maybe last year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a lot of money but QBs cost a lot of money.

The good news is that whatever pain we feel temporarily in impact from that large hit to the cap, over time that becomes less because the rest of the league has to pay for their QBs too. Just like the Brees deal became less of an impact over time to the Saints, in a few years we will still have a solid QB but not a team completely hamstrung because of that cap impact.

I thought this would be more an issue but a lot of people pointed out that I was wrong. And being wrong here is GREAT news.

This was a very nice surprise to find out this morning.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":37dl6yam said:
Tical21":37dl6yam said:
Sgt. Largent":37dl6yam said:
Tical21":37dl6yam said:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth. If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened. I am more of a Seahawks fan than a Wilson fan. I want the Seahawks to win. And their chances of doing so were negatively impacted today. You can say "Go hawks" all you want, but what you really mean is "Go Russell, screw the Hawks." Today, the Seahawks cemented the fact that they aren't going to win a Super Bowl in the coming years. If you want to celebrate that, go ahead.

Look back over the past 20-25 SB winners, it's all top 10 QB's. I get what you're saying, I do. It's much more difficult to win with paying your QB 20% of your cap.

But that doesn't mean you remove the one person on the team that gives you the best chance to win. It means you do a better job of drafting and acquiring.

Russell on the Hawk's last year, 10-6. Russell not on the Hawk's last year, probably 3-13 at best. It's as simple as that, Russell = wins. No Russell = who the hell knows, probably not good.

Having a franchise QB.

If the choice is between breaking the bank for a franchise QB, or lacking one, the former is the better choice. Neither is ideal, but you need a franchise QB.

This.

Yes, Seattle is unlikely to win the SB next year. But that was the case before the deal was done. This team is young and rebuilding. What this deal does do is open a window in a couple years. By then Russell will have a much more manageable contract compared to his peers. You can have a problem with the QB market but it is what it is and is unlikely to change soon.

This team is more than likely headed for regression next season. First year OCs typically have second year drop offs and only 3 teams that have scored 50+ TDs in a season and not seen some drop in production.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1114705088310861825[/tweet]

This team is still 1-2 drafts away from being ready to compete at the highest level again. This is still a rebuild. At least in this rebuild you don't have to deal with the uncertainty of finding a good QB. Russell won't look overpaid in 2 years.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tical21":2sh8tbve said:
MontanaHawk05":2sh8tbve said:
Tical21":2sh8tbve said:
If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened.

Your criteria are nearly worthless. There are kind of a number of factors going into winning a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to judge the contract like this.
Best rosters win Super Bowls. And we will not have one of the best rosters when paying a QB that much money, period.

So you're saying the Patriots had the "best roster" in the NFL three out of the last five years?

toffee

Reaction score
Someone should interview our Sherman and get his opinion on Russ's new contract.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rmvto24p said:
Hawkpower":rmvto24p said:
The Seahawks almost (in some ways) had to sign Russ....but in doing so, they have made it really really difficult to put together a competitive roster capable of competing for championships.

It has become...more difficult.

But Pete and John played the cards they were dealt by Russ and the NFL. He didn't have to ask to become the most expensive player in history, and the NFL didn't have to slowly change the sport to make the quarterback so screechingly important. For Pete and John, it was either sign him or start all over again. So I don't blame the front office for this.

Besides, we're talking about the QB position, a spot that elevates other players, and a player that not only does the same but covers over the weakness of others. Wilson can succeed with scrubs on the OL. We know that because there's never been a season in which he HASN'T done exactly that, except maybe last year.

The 2017 Jaguars are the poster boys for not having the QB. That team was loaded, except for Bortles. You can have the best team across the board, but if your QB isn't squared away and can't take it over when things are going wrong, it's going to be really, really difficult to win enough and when it matters.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3c3jd0xe said:
Sgt. Largent":3c3jd0xe said:
Tical21":3c3jd0xe said:
SoulfishHawk":3c3jd0xe said:
Clayton just said that his cap number is only going up 1 mil this season. I trust his word a lot more than a guy fighting as hard he can against a great deal for the Hawks. All due to his hate for Russ. But whatever, he's here for 5 more years. Sorry, you'll have to get used to it :irishdrinkers:

You keep asking us to tell show you a SB winner with the top paid QB. I'll ask you show me a recent SB winner without a top 10 QB? Or at least one playing like a top 10 QB.

Russell and Foles are outliers, outliers that were paid far less but performed as top 10 QB's at the time of winning..................................so the norm is if you look at the past winners, they had an elite QB, and elite QB's are paid as such.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":ueix0jg3 said:
SoulfishHawk":ueix0jg3 said:
Clayton just said that his cap number is only going up 1 mil this season. I trust his word a lot more than a guy fighting as hard he can against a great deal for the Hawks. All due to his hate for Russ. But whatever, he's here for 5 more years. Sorry, you'll have to get used to it :irishdrinkers:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth.....

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that. Your attitude toward Wilson is quite obvious. I don't see any "mis-characterization"....I see stating the obvious.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":20z5vlta said:
Tical21":20z5vlta said:
SoulfishHawk":20z5vlta said:
For the last time...i have zero against Russell Wilson. Stop mis-characterizing what I say and putting words in my mouth.....

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that. Your attitude toward Wilson is quite obvious. I don't see any "mis-characterization"....I see stating the obvious.
Word!

Largent80

Reaction score
We're fans. Experts like J.S. will handle the cap. They were smart enough to keep RW through his prime, and have been smart enough to keep us incredibly competitive in spite of a few costly trades.

If you don't trust them by now then maybe you should quit.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8fq288rp said:
HawkRiderFan":8fq288rp said:
In a perfect world Pete decides that with Russ getting more money he has to shoulder more of the load. No, I am not saying abandon the establish the run philosophy, I am just saying be more flexible. I'm talking about how they crossed up everyone by throwing deep late vs KC when everyone expected them to run the ball and work the clock.

In a situation like Dallas once it's obvious the run holes are not there, say screw it, put the game in the hands of your elite QB. If anyone here follows Warren Sharp he's a big Wilson fan and breaks down the numbers supporting how good he is.

We had a 14-10 lead going into the 4th quarter. Why do you think Russell shouldering more of the load would have helped more than the defense doing their job?

Offense is about what it's always been about, balance. So yes, I think even Pete would admit he'd like more balance than the 56% run vs pass of last year.

So just because we're paying Russell more, doesn't mean we change our entire offensive philosophy............because that takes away from what Russell does best. Protect the ball, play action, be EXTREMELY efficient and make explosive plays in the 2nd halves of games.

Our recipe works.

- draft defense
- nasty run game
- use Russell to his strengths

Nothing's changed, other than John and Pete's margin for error in drafting and acquiring players.

Re. the bolded - Based on how effective Russ was passing the ball that day, I think it's reasonable to assume the team could have put more than 14 points up by that point in the game. 14 points 50 min into the game is not something to jump up and down about. If we adjust our plays to what's working and say have 21 points on the board, maybe Dallas can't stay with Elliott running the ball, forcing the game into Prescott's hands.
Recall I did not say change our philosophy. I am saying be open to Plan B when Plan a is not working, especially when you have a QB perfectly capable of executing Plan B

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If Wilson costs $35 million against the cap instead of $25 million against the cap, it's weird to be focusing on that as the one thing that makes or breaks the team. Yeah, that $35 million is 19% of the cap, but is that extra $10 million that one thing that makes the primary difference? It sucks, but you have a proven quantity at the most important position, and there aren't enough starting QBs in the NFL for each team to have one.

When you lose $14 million on Chancellor, $2.2 million on Sherman, $2.5 million on Lane, $5.2 million on Bennett, $1.8 million on Kearse, $1.8 million on Tom Johnson, and $1.1 million on Johnson in 2018 (nearly $30 million total) and you're primarily worried about having to lose $10 million against the cap for someone who is irreplaceable save for the smallest of chance, we're gonna have a significant disagreement.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Some of you really aren’t thinking of this business wise. Paul Allen just died. Do you think the Front office is dumb enough to risk stability? :lol:

Without a star QB, you’re risking a lot with your franchise’s value and ticket sales. You can get a Case Keenum or Kirk Cousins. Both functional QBs below the elite level. Even with stacked talent, are you SUREEEE that will lead to success?

Do you think a top defense can maintain at an elite level with a poor offense? Ask Rex Ryan and other coaches how that worked

Do you not understand that, Russell Wilson has NEVERRRR missed a game? Do you understand how valuable that is??? Can you guarantee Carson, or any star running back will remain healthy? How about on defense? How many times did Sherm, Kam, or Earl get injured??? Yet we kept winning. Some of you need better perspective

mrt144

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2zkvex2t said:
If Wilson costs $35 million against the cap instead of $25 million against the cap, it's weird to be focusing on that as the one thing that makes or breaks the team. Yeah, that $35 million is 19% of the cap, but is that extra $10 million that one thing that makes the primary difference? It sucks, but you have a proven quantity at the most important position, and there aren't enough starting QBs in the NFL for each team to have one.

When you lose $14 million on Chancellor, $2.2 million on Sherman, $2.5 million on Lane, $5.2 million on Bennett, $1.8 million on Kearse, $1.8 million on Tom Johnson, and $1.1 million on Johnson in 2018 (nearly $30 million total) and you're primarily worried about having to lose $10 million against the cap for someone who is irreplaceable save for the smallest of chance, we're gonna have a significant disagreement.

This forever and always.