Will Russ change his style of play from 2021 in Denver?

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious if you think Russ will change his hero ball style to one of actually sustaining drives now that he is in Denver? If he continues with the style of play from last year and does not succeed it will prove that he was the issue on O. In my opinion I think he will go back to taking what the D is giving him as his ego is such that he must show Pete and staff were the culprits for poor scheme.

Thoughts?

keasley45

Reaction score
Just curious if you think Russ will change his hero ball style to one of actually sustaining drives now that he is in Denver? If he continues with the style of play from last year and does not succeed it will prove that he was the issue on O. In my opinion I think he will go back to taking what the D is giving him as his ego is such that he must show Pete and staff were the culprits for poor scheme.

Thoughts?
I dont think Russ was choosing to not play smart, ball control offense through the air last year. I think he for certain was set against running the ball, whether by himself or handing it off and for Russ's game, THAT is the key to making everything go - forcing the defense to play the run with an extra defender. Russ, himself, outside of his letbRussCook campaign, was most effective against defenses when they feared him taking off withbthe ball, which in part is why the 2 minute drill was always so effective. So I'll for sure be eager to see if he builds that back into his game.

At minimum, I think he relies on the run game more because he knows that's when he looks best - see last 5 games ofvthevseason. As much as the media spun it as Russs finger being better, those games were his most effective due to the run being relied upon. He still chucked it down field a ton, but those shots were there because the defense had to defend Penny.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Russ is who he is... meaning I expect his play in Denver to be no different than in Seattle.

At times, he'll hold onto the ball too long taking unnecessary sacks and at times he'll be brilliant with the long ball.

Denver has a two-year window to get back to the Big Dance. After that, Wilson's $50M+ cap hit/year will hinder the Broncos team-building through the draft and FA just like his later cap hits hindered the Seahawks.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Not seahawk related 😄
THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

Honestly - let's move on, and let him fall on his face (cushioned by millions of dollars) on the other side.

So tired of the whole Russ thing. Tail wagged the dog around here for TOO LONG.

Good riddance. Servicable QB up next please. Intermediate routes..... blah blah blah blah - insert standard template here ;)

orca

Reaction score
Russ goes from the worst team in the NFC West to the worst team in the AFC West. With any luck those 2023 Broncos draft picks could turn out pretty well for the Seahawks...

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Honestly - let's move on, and let him fall on his face (cushioned by millions of dollars) on the other side.

So tired of the whole Russ thing. Tail wagged the dog around here for TOO LONG.

Good riddance. Servicable QB up next please. Intermediate routes..... blah blah blah blah - insert standard template here ;)
Can't wait to hear you trash the next 5 QBs we start. We are going to stink at the position for quite a while. But hey, maybe you think HOF QBs grow on trees and we'll just grab one next year! Or maybe you don't think star power matters at QB. Boy are your eyes going to open quick.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I mean this is no longer seahawks related. That is facts. People said watson talk(before he signed), should not be in Seahawks forum.

Should be in NFL Forum Area to be fair.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Right..Russ is gone!
He ain;t changing anything..He will try to cook and burn it up.

toffee

Reaction score
Will the Bronco coaching and front office baby Russ the way Pete did? Could Russ dictate plays, game plans on his new HC the way he did to Pete? Would his new HC appease Russ at the expense of alienating rest of the team?

We shall see, if Russ isn't getting MVP type of stat playing what Bronco coaching staffs designed for him, we shall Russ start cooking again.

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Nah, I don’t think so. Frankly, the Broncos have little margin for error and thus have to play him to his strength which is HeroBall.

Russ is also going to want Rodger’s contract if not Watson’s so he’s also going to force himself to be the focal point especially given his leverage.

Whether it works out for them remains to be seen, in that Division, in that Conference, with his declining mobility… I see how it might not work out them.

chris98251

Reaction score
My thoughts, Wilson is playing to get out of Denver on his contract, second John Elway is an egomaniac and will not tolerate his legacy being one upped by Wilson, Wilson and Ciara in Denver is a stop over to New York or another place where there is a larger Entertainment Market. He knew the Seahawks would avoid an NFC team, AFC Teams were his best option so the Target for Denver where he could push his contract desires for a desperate team in need after they stack it for him in a down QB year in the draft. The Broncos are in search for a new owner, Wilson does not want to sign early and a new owner could nix a big contract also. Just doesn't feel like Denver is his last stop.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
My thoughts, Wilson is playing to get out of Denver on his contract, second John Elway is an egomaniac and will not tolerate his legacy being one upped by Wilson, Wilson and Ciara in Denver is a stop over to New York or another place where there is a larger Entertainment Market. He knew the Seahawks would avoid an NFC team, AFC Teams were his best option so the Target for Denver where he could push his contract desires for a desperate team in need after they stack it for him in a down QB year in the draft. The Broncos are in search for a new owner, Wilson does not want to sign early and a new owner could nix a big contract also. Just doesn't feel like Denver is his last stop.
So much this. Its only a layover in Denver until New York ultimately IMO