Will Rashaad Penny reach 100 yards rushing this season?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maybe he will actually take the field this Sunday. So far he up to 789 total rushing yards for his illustrious 3 year Seahawk career. It would be ridiculous to ask if he could surpass 1000 for his career this year but maybe 100 for the year?

(For reference Chubb has 881 for this year and 3371 total)

AgentDib

Reaction score
They picked Penny in large part because of his outstanding medical grade. Meanwhile, Chubb was coming off a devastating knee injury with huge durability questions.

Of course, Chubb has been the much healthier player so far, and that is exhibit #2430 of why the draft is a gamble. If you think you can read more into it than that, then you're just seeing what you want to see.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":5t3lxlao said:
They picked Penny in large part because of his outstanding medical grade. Meanwhile, Chubb was coming off a devastating knee injury with huge durability questions.

Of course, Chubb has been the much healthier player so far, and that is exhibit #2430 of why the draft is a gamble. If you think you can read more into it than that, then you're just seeing what you want to see.
Exactly ...
I think Penny will get over a 100..300-400 if you count the playoffs.
I think the odds are Hyde or Carson won't make it to the playoffs.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Wow, I wasn't aware that if we had picked Chubb he wouldn't have gotten injured like Penny did.

Maybe JS & PC should ask them that question, if they plan on getting hurt, during their interview process. Another epic failure on management if you ask me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We were an offense that was grinding its RB into dust.

I think our stud RB was already hurt, we were a few years from the Rawls injury already so we knew that going into the playoffs with one RB was stupid.

Penny was insurance. We didn't need him but it would have been stupid not to expect it. And even then, we kind of needed him because we need kick returns.

We already know both importance of Carson and how valuable Penny can be for us. He occasionally gets the home run type runs and we need that for the playoffs.

I would much rather have Penny on the sideline in the playoffs than Hyde.

To this point, we really haven't needed Penny as much. So it was fortunate he was hurt while we had the ability to weather. But if we can get the good version of Penny for the playoffs? That is fantastic.

(Really anything to avoid having to depend on Hyde in the playoffs would be great.)

Penny is also able to run long routes and suck the LBs away from the LOS. Not sure why you wouldn't think he would get 100 yds this season. He might even get 100 yds in a single playoff game if we go far enough. He tends to have one of those kind of games every now and then.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
3 games left, 33 ypg avg needed. Probably going to get a small handful of carries each game and has the talent to break out a huge run here and there. I'd say that's easily do-able to reach 100 yards for the season. As for a single game itself. Highly unlikely.

rcaido

Reaction score
Throw him to the gauntlet, rest Carson now. If Penny picks up to what he was doing end of last year, maybe we wont need to resign Carson.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He certainly can contribute. But let's be real honest, he's not in the same league as Carson. I really hope to see that 3 headed monster of Carson/Hyde/Penny. They all bring something to the table. I think the only way this team truly contends for a SuperbOwl is if they establish a running game. Especially in the playoffs, you have to have a running game. Shoot, if they would have had Carson OR Penny, Green Bay is a win in the playoffs last year imo.
Not saying this is a Super Bowl team, but if they get hot at the right time, they flat out CAN make it in the NFC.

And......comments telling me I'm crazy, they are the worst Defense in history, Pete sucks in 3.....2.....1...... :mrgreen:

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah if we had Carson, Penny, hell even if we had Procise we probably beat Greenbay last year.

The issue is that, do we go forward w/ Penny instead of Carson. Is Carson worth 13million+ for RB who tends to get injured right before the playoffs.

What is up w/ the injury bug for our RBs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
AgentDib":3rvrgrzl said:

This is the point I keep trying to make.

I DO think it was a bad pick, but the reason I think it was a poor pick is that I just really don't like the idea of taking running backs high in the draft from a team value perspective. I can't fault them for the one they took, though - explosive, high character, and had flawless medicals. The injury issues he's had are just part of the game. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't.

It would've been bad process to take Chubb in the first after he had his knee absolutely obliterated in college. The Browns have been quite lucky with him so far.

As far as Penny goes, it's obvious that he's talented and adds a very tangible element of explosion to the offense. He's a true home run hitter when he's in there, and having him down the stretch could provide an excellent boost. If he stays healthy after coming back, then 100 yards'll be a certainty.

Elemas

Reaction score
IF...big if...Penny is truly healthy and stays that way, he will get those yards.

I don't think anyone sees Penny as a 1-2 down back. I could be wrong but, he doesn't have that bruiser back, Lynch and Carson style of running. Even if he's picking up 100+ yards a game, you still need that consistent 4 yards each and every carry type of guy to shoulder the load.

That's not a knock on Penny. When healthy, he was beginning to show that big break away play ability when we utilized him in the manner in which JS and Pete seemed to have in mind when we drafted him. He's one of a small handful in the league that has that ability from the backfield and I love having him on our roster for that alone. He's a threat.

With that said, he can definitely be the 2nd back. If his run style continues to develop and he brings that "We need 3 yards up the gut" type of play, he could blossom into that #1 guy.

Hindsight is 20/20. Chubb is incredible but if on draft day, you took a poll of who would be injured first, no one would've picked Penny ahead of Chubb. Unlucky for sure but, it is what it is.

I hope he stays healthy and returns to form because we were just starting to witness just how damn good the kid could be.

And there would be nothing wrong with having both him and CC on the roster. Due to injury history, CC may not have as many options as we Hawks fans think...although we know just how good the guy is. Maybe that gives us the silver lining we need to keep him here.

If I were another team, I'd be hard pressed to pay a lot for him. I'd take my chances in the draft. But as Hawks fans, we know just how much he means to the team. Fingers crossed!!

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
rcaido":ah9rprsc said:
Yeah if we had Carson, Penny, hell even if we had Procise we probably beat Greenbay last year.

The issue is that, do we go forward w/ Penny instead of Carson. Is Carson worth 13million+ for RB who tends to get injured right before the playoffs.

What is up w/ the injury bug for our RBs.

If Penny comes back strong here, I would be comfortable rolling with a committee of Penny, Hyde, and Dallas next year. I'd rather put those Carson dollars into the defense.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I haven't given up on Penny, but every time I hear the name Chubb I cry a little. I am certainly happy to see him back this year. Not sure if he will get to 100, but wouldn't surprise me to see him contribute in a significant way. Will be interesting to see if they slowly work him in or let him lose. Also curious if he will get more carries than Hyde.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Carson will be back. Not sure where 13 mil a year come from except for average on rbs going into free agency. He will take less to remain a hawk and remain our #1. Penny is more than solid as the 2. Hyde will walk. He is on a 1 yr deal anyway. You dont need to take money away from a player to give to another as in carson. There is a draft and players going on the defensive side of the ball too. Plus cap increase. Keep team intact. Add players around. We will be back playoffs next year. That is why the middle to late rounds are more important than the high priced probably wont pan out 1st round players. You get a good player. Low cost. 3rd to 7th.
Sometimes 1s pan out like penny. He hasnt be needed to be a #1, but is very capable of it.

Dont hinge to hard on round grades and what every analyst assumes to be correct. If they were correct even 50% of the time aaron curry and jamarcus russell would be somewhere in this league now, but nope. To many people hang on to draft grades, or when someone is drafted is how they should perform.

Penny will get easily 100 for season still spot carrying Carson into the playoffs.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Taylor has been looking really good in Indy. Maybe we could work out a trade with them and end up with Taylor, Hyde, Dallas, and a little bit of leftover cap.
Oh wait, almost forgot...I really liked what I saw of Scarborough. Keep him and gain even more cap!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Penny is a hard one to predict. He's coming off of an injury that takes a long time to heal from. When he comes back we may not see the same second gear. I don't think we're going to see much of Penny until playoff time.

KinesProf

Reaction score
He probably doesn't get to 100 yards for the season, but that's a rather inconsequential and arbitrary number with 3 games remaining, and Carson and Hyde available.

Penny certainly is a nice piece to add to the offense though, if he is close to his prior form. His career 5.3 ypc is no joke, and speaks to the home run ability he has that the Hawks other RBs don't offer.