Why the hell are we so good? (A theory)

billio155

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one question all off-season: Why do our Seahawks play so dynamically, so explosively when compared to every other team in the NFL? And how do they routinely create plays that seem almost "fluky" in their execution when they need them most? Think of the Browner return from last's nights game as an example. I will reference this play later, but for now, lets get back to to the meat of the question, why do we play the way we play?
And I think I've come to a conclusion; it's the coaching.
Now that may seem like a rather obvious statement, but lets look at current coaching trends in the NFL. NFL coaches, by and large, are promoted and paid for their dynamic schemes and inventiveness. Coaches-offensive and defensive and head coaches alike, are now stars, household names who scour the sidelines flashing arrogant and knowing smiles at the opposing sideline. Most "coaches" aren't paid nowadays for their coaching...teaching players how to be better players...but for their schemes and play calling.
Likewise, GM's no longer look for players that can be "coached up", but rather, flash players who will make an immediate difference for their coaches aggressive play calling. Blame it on the Mel Kieper's of the world, but draft picks are now judged on their immediate impact. Players who do not make an immediate impact are claimed busts. "Coaches" plug these players deemed good fits into their schemes and expect results. A coaches job is no longer about the mundane day to day betterment of their draft picks, but more about how these talents execute in the coaches scheme. It's become a plug and play league.
Now we have the Seahawks, a team that seeks out competitive players, (short for players willing to work hard to be better) who have rare talents, but need to be coached up. This long view of player development is extremely rare. But look at the results. Browner, Sherman, Clemons, Tate, Wagner, Turbin, Lynch, Wilson, Chancellor...etc...etc.
Now how does all this "coaching" play out on the field? Lets look at Browner's fumble return form last nights game for a reference. It's third down, the defense is tired, they have their backs against the wall, Manning won't let them rest. A touchdown seems a forgone conclusion. But instead our dt's got low, something they learned in practice and held the line, the running back now decides to go over the ground swell of human bodies, Farwell knows he has one option, he puts his head right into the ball, just like he was coached, the ball squirts out and the Bronco's stand still thinking the play is over, but Browner knows it not over because he spent countless ours perfecting his reactions during the fumble drill, Browner grabs the ball and then speeds past several miffed Broncos who are now watching him run down the sideline for a touchdown. You could almost see them asking, "that didn't really happen did it?"
That play had nothing to with a good play call, it had everything to do with great coaching and having players willing to do the work, then execute as eleven players on the field.
The Seahawks are doing something nobody else is, playing complete football and playing it fast and furious. The result? Crushing victories over teams who on paper should win. And it all comes down to something very old fashioned...good coaching.

Jac

Reaction score
To me, this goes back to that 150-point 3-game stretch last year. This team reminds me more of a top-ranked SEC team, than a traditional professional team. The youth is just feeding off one another, every position group wants to get in on the action, and everbody wants to hit and physically assert dominance. The closest professional comparable I have is the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
One guy (Manny Ramirez?) on the Broncos could have touched Browner down, but he gave up on the play - and Browner didn't.

Our guys may not be perfect, but they will out-hustle you and play to the whistle. This is where the "dirty" stuff comes from. Unlike other teams that take plays off and other lazy stuff, our guys play hard on each play. This gets confused for being "dirty" because most fans (me included) whine too much.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I do think there is something to the attitude and swagger they all seem to have. Sure it'll make us (has made us) hated by other fanbases, but you can see when it starts bothering the other players

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jac":2z2ra1qb said:
To me, this goes back to that 150-point 3-game stretch last year. This team reminds me more of a top-ranked SEC team, than a traditional professional team. The youth is just feeding off one another, every position group wants to get in on the action, and everbody wants to hit and physically assert dominance. The closest professional comparable I have is the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

Felt the same way, we manhandeled the Broncos like LSU did to Washington Huskies last year. We are deep as heck and have a talent pool deeper than any other. We might not have the best QB int he league typical of Pac-12 teams or Big-10 but we just pound the other team into obliteration like an SEC team would at all facets of the game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Brady Quinn has said that of the franchises he's been with in the NFL, the Seahawks are the best at teaching their players. According to him, this team not only tells players what to do and how to do it but why to do it.

When you combine that teaching with the competition, true enjoyment of the game and swagger Pete encourages, you end up with a formidable young football team.

warden

Reaction score
Players are still developed. Golden Tate is a prime example of a player that did not make an immediate impact. He is no bust, Unger big red are other examples.

The biggest reason we stand out, is the always compete stuff is very real. These players are competing every play no matter if it is in practice or in the game, there is absolutely no quit. The other is just how hard our coaches to adjust to the players strengths. Bi polar opposite of Holmgren where the players had to adjust to Holmgren's scheme

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
The Seahawks dominant second half performance in nearly every game is a very strong argument for the quality of the coaching these players receive. I'm a rugby coach. Rugby matches last 80 minutes with very little rest except for a five minute half time break. At about the sixty minute mark of every game play typically breaks down and even really talented players begin to make stupid mistakes as their mind slows their reactions are almost anemic. When this happens well coached teams fall back on their fundamentals, muscle memory built through hard work and many, many reps. The seahawks seem to react so much faster in these conditions because of the muscle memory built up by repetition in practice. They are also in better playing condition and that comes down to coaching as well.

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
I also think the "swagger" thing is a little overrated. If you watch any pregame on any given Sunday every NFL team is screaming at each other and doing their chants for the camera. A lot of crap is spoken during any given game, but without execution on the field, swagger is just bunch of loud words. Playing with confidence and purpose comes from knowing what the hell you're doing, not telling the other team how much they suck. I think real "swagger" is a byproduct of execution.

stack600

Reaction score
I think one of the biggest thing is P.C. is all about the competition, But also Conditioning, If you watch the guys at practice. From the time they come out the door it starts. Running the bag drill with coaches in your ear. To running from drill to drill and the same tempo on a practice play as a Game play. I watch other teams (Hard knocks) and other footage. Most teams, Not all granted. Seem to walk out to the practice field at a leisurely pace, BS a bit, Go thru stretches, Then walk off to there next drill. This is not the way our guys do it. Like I wrote Hit the "I'm In" sign and run and hustle the whole practice. Which equal's run and hustle the whole game. So why are we this good, Conditioning and Comadere. As Michael Bennet said in the real Rob report back in OTAs " Man they really push ya dog, No stretching, I'm like run, Run, run, And I'm thinking do we get to stretch now" And Mike Rob answered " Hey somethings working round here, Bro" it has to be the Kool-Aid right :179422:

The Radish

Reaction score
The number one difference I see between Pete and Mike is the difference in team philosophy.

Mike picked players that would fit in his plans and schemes. Most times he wasn't interested in someone becoming a star, he wanted them to play his way.

Pete seems to genuinly try to put a player in a position to succeed. And as has been said they don't seem afraid to let the players know what they are doing and why, rather than just yelling at them to do this or that.

:les:

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I have to slightly disagree. It is not that the seahawks are willing to coach up players that makes the difference (although they definitelly do that).

It is also not that the seahawks try to fit the player to tgeir system so that their strengths are maximized instead of molding the player ti their system like most teams.

The real answer has a lot to do with what we look for on draft day. Measurables. Pete has helped develop the Nike SPARQ training and the seahawks are the first team that has been designed with a mathematical formula. Our pkayers are bigger faster and more explosive, mathematically, than they have ever been. Everything else follows

chris98251

Reaction score
So were good at Math? I think front offices have been looking at measurables for a very long time, I think we look at that but we go much deeper, Pete and John have found a way to tap into the heart of a player and find out what makes a player motivated and we tend to get those that have a reason to over come something which Pete feeds with putting them in a position to succeed.

I also think he coaches from a standpoint of not only technique but schemes and the why for how comes, so many players understand concepts and the larger picture from what players seem to discuss in many interviews, it's always back to study and correct issues.

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
Stack600, your comment made me laugh out loud...because you're right. I watched a ten minute video of a bronocs practice and it was a bunch of guys standing around, lazily doing toe touches. A few of the guys weren't even doing them, but were instead playing glad ass with practice towels. What a waste of time. Plus, there are a lot of studies that show static stretching doesn't really do anything.

emurri

Reaction score
It comes down to the philosophy of "Always Compete". Pete truly lives and breathes this.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
chris98251":2zvzd4cw said:
So were good at Math?
yes

chris98251":2zvzd4cw said:
I think front offices have been looking at measurables for a very long time

Teams have looked at measurables, but never like this. Take a look at the SPARQ formula, follow up on the Nike camps. Read up on the SPARQ analisis in FieldGulls
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... neider-nfl

You better believe that every athlete targeted by our front office has had his "sparq number" calculated, very few athletes in our current organization have been chosen in spite of low numbers and many "head scratchers that have turned out great" are toppers in SPARQ rating
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... awks-sparq

OP
OP
B

billio155

Reaction score
You can compete all you want, but it's more than that. If I have a bunch of players show up at my practice who need to learn more about rugby and tell them to go out there and compete, but teach them nothing, than the finished product is just going to be a bunch of aggressive players who don't know how to play the sport properly. I just think the coaching up of players on this team is overlooked. After all, our best unit is our secondary and guess who started out as a secondary coach? Pete.

Hawks46

Reaction score
warden":1reqtfvs said:
Players are still developed. Golden Tate is a prime example of a player that did not make an immediate impact. He is no bust, Unger big red are other examples.

The biggest reason we stand out, is the always compete stuff is very real. These players are competing every play no matter if it is in practice or in the game, there is absolutely no quit. The other is just how hard our coaches to adjust to the players strengths. Bi polar opposite of Holmgren where the players had to adjust to Holmgren's scheme

Bingo. These guys know that they could lose their job. Draft status and salary doesn't matter. If someone's better than you, they'll play, or the coaches will find a way to get both of you on the field. You have to play every play like the guy behind you is ready to come in and excel. Because he is.

Compare it to...say a government worker. When you are guaranteed a job, and it takes moving heaven and hell to get you out, your job performance goes down the toilet. I've never worked harder than when I was in construction. They could fire your ass literally at any minute and there was a border full of hungry people just waiting to take your job for less than what you got paid. That's some real motivation.

SCsis has it right too. All the elements blend to make guys really respect the coaching staff, FO and organization. They love being here, and really love the team. They play harder and with more passion. Add to this that Pete finds guys that feel slighted or have chips on their shoulder, and they have attitude and something to prove.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This morning I was listening to Mark Shelarry (Schlereth?) on ESPN break down the game and he said the Bronks shouldn't take to much from the loss because aside from a few "fluky" plays the game was even when the "1"s were in.
I think he may be missing the point. There comes a time in every game when the 2's and 3's have to play too. That is where we are separating our selves. Everybody plays hard. Everybody pulls together, everyone works together. Our guys have bought into each other.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
This team just feels different that any other team I have watched. Usually for Preseason games I watch the starters and then do something else. This year and last year I have watched every snap of the seahawks preseason games. Theres just an energy and excitement that the team brings every play.