Why Russell is a winner/leader and Cam Newton is not

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
pehawk":15ilg43d said:
seabowl":15ilg43d said:
Northhawk":15ilg43d said:
Definitely, Cam wears his feelings on his sleeve where as Russ is steel-faced even when things go wrong. Today, Cam look defeated in the 2nd when Arizona pulled ahead.

It's hard to say what he's like in-person but on TV Cam looked like a 12 year old out there.

Agree 100%. He is a child mentally in a mans body. That ridiculous 1st down signal would annoy the hell out of me if I were his coach. Celebrating after every first down is just... childish.

Exactly! Dude is so selfish he keeps playing hurt behind worst oline in football. Hell, he pouted so much he actually had the audacity to play with two broken vertebrae in his back.

What....a....punk.

I will say that although his sideline demeanor still isn't ideal, he has slowly improved that part of his game over the years. He's still a youngster, so it's a work in progress. I still remember Steve Smith chewing him out on the sidelines about that. Russell is kind of an exception to the rule in that regard (age vs maturity), so we're spoiled rotten.

The grit to play through injuries is obvious, so he's got that aspect of leadership nailed. He just needs to continue to develop his attitude when things go wrong. Somebody has to stay positive to keep the guys from going into a collective group think funk.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
pehawk":fmwshgp8 said:
seabowl":fmwshgp8 said:
Northhawk":fmwshgp8 said:
Definitely, Cam wears his feelings on his sleeve where as Russ is steel-faced even when things go wrong. Today, Cam look defeated in the 2nd when Arizona pulled ahead.

It's hard to say what he's like in-person but on TV Cam looked like a 12 year old out there.

Agree 100%. He is a child mentally in a mans body. That ridiculous 1st down signal would annoy the hell out of me if I were his coach. Celebrating after every first down is just... childish.

Exactly! Dude is so selfish he keeps playing hurt behind worst oline in football. Hell, he pouted so much he actually had the audacity to play with two broken vertebrae in his back.

What....a....punk.

He celebrates mostly his own accomplishments. Signaling a first down when he gets one, pretending to be Superman after a TD by pretending to open his shirt etc.... You never see Brady, Manning, even Russell do this playground crap. The only top QB in the league I see doing anything like this is Rodgers with the championship belt thing but he doesn't do it often and frankly backs it up. Cam is so damn full of himself and fails to realize when you lead it's not about you, but about whom you are leading and to congratulate and spotlight them. With the D he has he can be a game manager and gain a decent number of victories.

IMO he still commits way too many errors and never will have the mental toughness to ever be considered a top QB in the league. Just my opinion.

Northhawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1z00fsyj said:
kearly":1z00fsyj said:
If I was a Panthers fan I'd want Seattle's OL too. Remember our OL last year when we were missing four starters? That's basically how bad the Panthers OL has been in 2014.

It was so hard to wrap our heads around ANYONE's O-Line being worse than Seattle...
But doggone it if Carolina doesn't check that box.

In fact, the Seattle O-Line has actually been pretty good compared to last year, with the exception of the couple games where Schilling played center and still-learning Patrick Lewis did before we got Lemuel JeanPierre back.

The reality is that to have the #1 rushing offense in the league, the O-Line simply can't be THAT bad, really.
Do we wish the pass pro was better more of the time? Heck yeah.

Do we count Zach Miller as part of the line? His absence affects pass protection quite a bit.
Do we count receivers that don't get separation and Russell holds the ball against the O-Line?
Do we factor in Russell's hidden "thumb injury that made him inaccurate, and reluctant to throw without tons of separation, so he holds the ball?
Do we factor in Bevell play design, asking Russell to dodge and deal with unblocked rushers?
Do we factor in Russell simply holding the ball longer so he doesn't make a mistake and throw a ball he shouldn't?

It's so easy to rag on the Seahawks offensive line. To me, the reality is the current O-Line is better than the group we won the Super Bowl with. Sweezy is a year better, and Britt is doing well in run blocking, even if Breno was a better pass blocker, it's close to a wash. Carp is in better shape, and Bailey is a year better than last year. Unger is good when he's healthy and available. Patrick Lewis is even an upgrade at backup center to LJP, apparently, based on coaching decisions on who plays. Even Garry Gilliam is getting into the act at Outside Tackle, er, TE. When Okung is healthy, which he is now, he's very good, like he was last year.

I think we've made "Horrible O-Line" such a cliche for the Seattle line, that people stop seeing when the line is actually doing well.

Someone had a great thread after the first Arizona game with 7 sacks on us by the Cards. We assumed it was all the O-line's fault for crappy protection. However, when broken down, at most 2 of the 7 were on the O-Line, and maybe only one. The rest were on Russell, and/or on bad play design.

Russell cleans up his act a little, gets rid of the ball quicker, with PRich now open, and suddenly our line is so much better. Just amazing what a little development at the WR position can have.

Interesting, they seemed to give Cam lots of time last night against a pretty good D. Unlike Arizona's OL which looked putrid for most of the game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Northhawk":3u9wptxy said:
olyfan63":3u9wptxy said:
kearly":3u9wptxy said:
If I was a Panthers fan I'd want Seattle's OL too. Remember our OL last year when we were missing four starters? That's basically how bad the Panthers OL has been in 2014.

It was so hard to wrap our heads around ANYONE's O-Line being worse than Seattle...
But doggone it if Carolina doesn't check that box.

In fact, the Seattle O-Line has actually been pretty good compared to last year, with the exception of the couple games where Schilling played center and still-learning Patrick Lewis did before we got Lemuel JeanPierre back.

The reality is that to have the #1 rushing offense in the league, the O-Line simply can't be THAT bad, really.
Do we wish the pass pro was better more of the time? Heck yeah.

Do we count Zach Miller as part of the line? His absence affects pass protection quite a bit.
Do we count receivers that don't get separation and Russell holds the ball against the O-Line?
Do we factor in Russell's hidden "thumb injury that made him inaccurate, and reluctant to throw without tons of separation, so he holds the ball?
Do we factor in Bevell play design, asking Russell to dodge and deal with unblocked rushers?
Do we factor in Russell simply holding the ball longer so he doesn't make a mistake and throw a ball he shouldn't?

It's so easy to rag on the Seahawks offensive line. To me, the reality is the current O-Line is better than the group we won the Super Bowl with. Sweezy is a year better, and Britt is doing well in run blocking, even if Breno was a better pass blocker, it's close to a wash. Carp is in better shape, and Bailey is a year better than last year. Unger is good when he's healthy and available. Patrick Lewis is even an upgrade at backup center to LJP, apparently, based on coaching decisions on who plays. Even Garry Gilliam is getting into the act at Outside Tackle, er, TE. When Okung is healthy, which he is now, he's very good, like he was last year.

I think we've made "Horrible O-Line" such a cliche for the Seattle line, that people stop seeing when the line is actually doing well.

Someone had a great thread after the first Arizona game with 7 sacks on us by the Cards. We assumed it was all the O-line's fault for crappy protection. However, when broken down, at most 2 of the 7 were on the O-Line, and maybe only one. The rest were on Russell, and/or on bad play design.

Russell cleans up his act a little, gets rid of the ball quicker, with PRich now open, and suddenly our line is so much better. Just amazing what a little development at the WR position can have.

Interesting, they seemed to give Cam lots of time last night against a pretty good D. Unlike Arizona's OL which looked putrid for most of the game.

The Cards are so banged up on D they are struggling to get pressure.
I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina watched the Seattle-AZ film and "stole" a bunch of what we did, in terms of O-Line and protection for Cam.
I'd also expect that Carolina's O-Line has continued to improve, including their chemistry with Cam, and is way better NOW than they were in say, week 8. I'd expect O-line improvement as one big factor in Carolina's 4-game-run to end the season and claim their division title.

Cam's team certainly has seemed to rally behind him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /21163633/
"I love it when he's out there pointing for first downs, I love that he has swag about him," said veteran safety Roman Harper, who admitted that he used to hate the Superman celebration when playing against Newton. "When he's having a good time, he plays well. And we're successful when he plays well. I want him to be himself, have the personality, have fun out there."

Whatever else, Cam did what he had to do to help his team win their last 5 games and be in the Divisional round of the playoffs. The playoffs for Carolina started 5 weeks ago, and they are now 5-0 in "their" 2014-15 NFL playoffs.

Will Carolina get barbecue-smoked in Seattle? Most likely. Will this really say much about Cam's leadership? No more than 43-8 said about Peyton Manning's.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
By the looks of things, their OL has improved markedly since last time we met, and our pass rush just took a hit with the loss of Hill. He wasn't too shabby in run support either. I had so much hope for him in the post season...oh well.

Will the pro shop sell "#1 seed" gear, should we need it? Just kidding!!

Mol3m4n

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3jd47uol said:
googoodan":3jd47uol said:
HawKnPeppa":3jd47uol said:
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for the other team when they want our OL, LMAO!
On another note, if slumping your shoulders on the sideline with a towel over your head is 'black enough,' I'll keep our 'Uncle Tom,' thank you!

At least one person gets it.
Wilson wouldn't survive to halftime with our band of Ryan Kalil and the four UDFAs.
He did that with an even worse OL in 2013. Cam is fast, but he isn't Russell 'Houdini' Wilson. Not by a long shot.

Ugh......

A worse offensive line with Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton? Lmao.

googoodan

Reaction score
Mol3m4n":1z7yrvrs said:
HawKnPeppa":1z7yrvrs said:
googoodan":1z7yrvrs said:
HawKnPeppa":1z7yrvrs said:
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for the other team when they want our OL, LMAO!
On another note, if slumping your shoulders on the sideline with a towel over your head is 'black enough,' I'll keep our 'Uncle Tom,' thank you!

At least one person gets it.
Wilson wouldn't survive to halftime with our band of Ryan Kalil and the four UDFAs.
He did that with an even worse OL in 2013. Cam is fast, but he isn't Russell 'Houdini' Wilson. Not by a long shot.

Ugh......

A worse offensive line with Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton? Lmao.
I think he meant Seattle's offensive line.

And Carolina's offensive line has 3 new starters since I posted about how awful the line is. The right side is actually pretty good now. Other than Byron Bell, I have confidence in our linemen.

WUnderhill

Reaction score
Can somebody fill me in on what the deal is with Russell Wilson, his wife, and his WRs wives? I've heard a lot of stuff, just curious how this "leader" thing works.

Panther Jase

Reaction score
Cam Nootun kills puppies on the weekends, I hear.

Punches his teammates on the sidelines...but only to get them out of the way so he can punch children.

And he votes Green Party.

What a jerk.

Wilson has been sainted by the catholic church. Ladies love him, men want to be him. In his free time, he donates kidneys to the diseased, regenerating new ones every three months. Some consider him part god, but I think he is 100% god.

Am I doing it right?

SirTed

Reaction score
Panther Jase":1q9635ca said:

Punches his teammates on the sidelines...but only to get them out of the way so he can punch children.

What a jerk.

Wilson has been sainted by the catholic church. Ladies love him, men want to be him. In his free time, he donates kidneys to the diseased, regenerating new ones every three months. Some consider him part god, but I think he is 100% god.

Am I doing it right?

I like this.

Why do we insist on posting threads like this? It's so stupid to me.

I like Wilson just fine, and I think he's a good player. Heck, I'd rather have Wilson as my QB than Newton, or almost any QB in the league but there's nothing wrong with Cam. I mean, somebody has to be the 15th best QB in the league, or whatever - He's not quite as good at the position as RW (right now) But He's a good player. He's got his warts, sure but so does RW. I wish Wilson was a 6'4" beast who is difficult to bring down.

We have players on this team who exhibit the exact same characteristics as Newton when these go well, or go poorly, and generally speaking, we love them for it. Our RB, my favorite Seahawk, BTW - flipped his OC the bird last year, is surly to the media, and grabs his dick when he scores TD's. And I love him.

This whole "winner" "loser" label is ridiculous, and if you see sports so simply you should probably go sit in the corner and face the wall. Do you really think it's impossible that Cam could come into Seattle, play with our great defense (which is better than Carolina's), be coached up to play point guard? I don't love the dude, but there are so many factors and circumstances at play here, it can't be that simple.

Now, if you want to say something along the lines of - he's not as good at the quarterback position because he can't throw on the run as well, or is generally less accurate, then I can get on board.

Panther Jase

Reaction score
SirTed":19bx2zhn said:
Panther Jase":19bx2zhn said:

What a jerk.

Am I doing it right?

I like this.

I like Wilson just fine, and I think he's a good player. Heck, I'd rather have Wilson as my QB than Newton, or almost any QB in the league but there's nothing wrong with Cam. I mean, somebody has to be the 15th best QB in the league, or whatever - He's not quite as good at the position as RW (right now) But He's a good player. He's got his warts, sure but so does RW. I wish Wilson was a 6'4" beast who is difficult to bring down.

We have players on this team who exhibit the exact same characteristics as Newton when these go well, or go poorly, and generally speaking, we love them for it. Our RB, my favorite Seahawk, BTW - flipped his OC the bird last year, is surly to the media, and grabs his dick when he scores TD's. And I love him.

This whole "winner" "loser" label is ridiculous, and if you see sports so simply you should probably go sit in the corner and face the wall. Do you really think it's impossible that Cam could come into Seattle, play with our great defense (which is better than Carolina's), be coached up to play point guard? I don't love the dude, but there are so many factors and circumstances at play here, it can't be that simple.

Now, if you want to say something along the lines of - he's not as good at the quarterback position because he can't throw on the run as well, or is generally less accurate, then I can get on board.

g1381148084295925086.jpg

byau

Reaction score
Cam is not Russell and vice versa. I have a feeling the Panthers players and fans like Cam a lot. He is on that line of confidence vs arrogance that other fanbases will hate but the local fans will love, similar to I'm guessing Richard Sherman is to us as opposed to other fanbases. And right now Cam is doing a lot of good things post-car-crash which I think shows leadership.

That said, when considering the differences of the two, I prefer Russell. I prefer the guys who, when they are not on the field, are still prepping. Russell is the guy looking at the computer looking at what the opposing D has done this game to look for tendencies. Russell is the guy who really prepares. Russell is the guy I would want to have as QB to engineer a last game winning drive.

I had a funny thought that if Wilson was instead in Cam's shoes, on a team that would eventually have to come to the legendary CLink and face the 12th man, Wilson probably would have already spent a bye week to fly out to Seattle to watch a game and get a feel for the crowd and stadium and nuances and experience it first hand to prepare himself for eventually playing there, similar to what he did when he went to watch the 2012-2013 SB

I love Russell Wilson

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SirTed":3ave02nx said:
Panther Jase":3ave02nx said:

What a jerk.

Am I doing it right?

I like this.

Giphy

olyfan63

Reaction score
SirTed":13n9mj14 said:

SirTed For the Win! Post of the Week!!!
Well, maybe Post-of-the-Day, there's some pretty damn tough competition. But definitely in the running.

And that's not even mentioning anything about Seahawks players like Black Santa or "I'm better at life than you" Richard Sherman. Guys with attitude who we love.

Now if BeastMode can figure out a way to wrap a Cam towel around his helmet while flying backwards into the end-zone and simultaneously grabbing his dick, THAT would be a TD celebration for the ages. Lynch might just have to settle for doing Newton's Superman celebration after his backwards-flying Nestea Plunge dick grab.

Seriously, it's clear Cam's teammates love him and are inspired by him and willingly follow him into battle and don't give a rip what the rest of the world thinks. Now does Cam the football player have room to improve his game? Absolutely.

And I'm guessing SirTed is all about the Stork.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson's balls. The way they come out of his hand. The way they look so silky, smooth in the air. Just gives my goose bumps.

I have no interest in Cam's balls. I'm sure they don't smell right because of the way he rubs them before the game.

SC

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Cam was well... Un-Cam like this week and actually displayed poise. I give him credit that he did a pretty good job tonight given the circumstances.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":2odrdf8f said:
Cam was well... Un-Cam like this week and actually displayed poise. I give him credit that he did a pretty good job tonight given the circumstances.

Agree. I thought he played a pretty damn good game. Couple of catches on their side and the game would have been much closer.

Russ, though, holy heck, dude was a complete baller this game! I think he's a keeper.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Losers lose. That's why they're losers. And, they lost. They have to deal with losing, we have to deal with next week's losers. Sorry carolina potholes, that's just how it is.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":36rq9c2w said:
seabowl":36rq9c2w said:

Agree. I thought he played a pretty damn good game. Couple of catches on their side and the game would have been much closer.

Russ, though, holy heck, dude was a complete baller this game! I think he's a keeper.

And a couple catches on our side and they don't have any points in the first half. It goes both ways.