Why Hawks think ‘something special’ is happening again

rjdriver

Reaction score
This better not be a set up!!

You guys are getting me hyped. I feel like Clark Griswald on the final stretch approaching Florida. I can see it!! It's just I keep having these nightmares of Bosa dressed in a security guard uniform saying, "Sorry folks, not this year".

I hope you're right @Aros !!

sutz

Reaction score
With a good enough supporting cast the QB (Geno) doesn’t have to be top 10 caliber.
We just need him to play well/smart and protect the turnover ratio.

Those that claim Geno can’t get us there are correct if it was him we were counting on but we’re not, we’re counting on the supporting cast.

IMHO/YMMV
The whole "you need a superstar QB to win the SB" line is vastly overstated. Several times it has been won by journeymen guys - Trent Dilfer anybody? And there have been several "super QBs" who got beat. Hell, Elway was the "best QB" in the league and got curb-stomped 4 times in the big game. How about Jim Kelly?

Realistically, the best bet is to build a great TEAM, with a smart QB that has accuracy, elusiveness, and a touch of luck. That will win a lot of games, and hopefully a SB or two along the way.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The whole "you need a superstar QB to win the SB" line is vastly overstated. Several times it has been won by journeymen guys - Trent Dilfer anybody? And there have been several "super QBs" who got beat. Hell, Elway was the "best QB" in the league and got curb-stomped 4 times in the big game. How about Jim Kelly?

Realistically, the best bet is to build a great TEAM, with a smart QB that has accuracy, elusiveness, and a touch of luck. That will win a lot of games, and hopefully a SB or two along the way.
I’ve used the Dilfer example multiple times in these debates.

Good QB play with a good supporting cast beats a Great QB and a bad cast any day imo.

I suppose there’s stats that could be dug up but I really don’t care in this instance.

I just don’t think we need Geno to be great, we need the rest of the team (coaching staff included) to live up to their potential.

GoHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
I like what they're building. It does feel like 2012 again. I think it's possible Geno can get us there, but he has to show he can win a playoff game first. With an improved team around him, the odds certainly improve. I'm still skeptical, but hopefully he blossoms and shows us that 32 yr old leopards can change their spots after all. Time will tell.

morgulon1

Reaction score
With a good enough supporting cast the QB (Geno) doesn’t have to be top 10 caliber.
We just need him to play well/smart and protect the turnover ratio.

Those that claim Geno can’t get us there are correct if it was him we were counting on but we’re not, we’re counting on the supporting cast.

IMHO/YMMV
Like #3

WmHBonney

Reaction score
just like before it will take a new QB to get us there. I love Geno but he's not that guy pal.
I disagree. I think the defense will be the limiting factor. This team will go as far as the defense takes it. The offense is loaded and Geno just has to not screw it up.

Weadoption

Reaction score
thing is, the Hawks and Niners could combine their rosters and that resultant team may not be enough to beat Mahomes in the big game.
AFC has a nice fat batch of qb’s that can go god mode on you, it’s a problem.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
The key is drafts, and has been for a long time. The Hawks had possibly the best draft ever, with good drafts around it, and got QB taken care of. That got us our super bowl.
Then the Seahawks had some *bad* drafts that really failed to add talent at the same time that the salary cap was preventing us from resigning all our guys. That was when we merely became playoff contenders.
The Hawks look to be stringing a couple (really) good drafts together which puts them in a position to field a good team that doesn't break the bank, allowing them to add the final pieces when ready.
What is holding the Hawks back right now is largely Jamal Adams. It is so difficult to field a super bowl team with that much money being thrown into a black hole. Not only do we not get the player, but we also don't get that money to use on someone else.
Geno Smith is also less than what you would like at the QB position for a real super bowl run, but options for improvement are few and far between so you make do with what you have.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
thing is, the Hawks and Niners could combine their rosters and that resultant team may not be enough to beat Mahomes in the big game.
AFC has a nice fat batch of qb’s that can go god mode on you, it’s a problem.
Do you actually believe that? ^
I said “may” for a reason.
It certainly would not be a given, qb play is a tide that raises all boats.
that I totally believe.

Dan Marino is on line one for you.
Archie Manning on line two, sir.
Ken Anderson has just called. He's on line three.
Phil Rivers and Dan Fouts are in the lobby. They say it's urgent.
And there's a Mr. Tarkenton asking for an appointment.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Dan Marino is on line one for you.
Archie Manning on line two, sir.
Ken Anderson has just called. He's on line three.
Phil Rivers and Dan Fouts are in the lobby. They say it's urgent.
And there's a Mr. Tarkenton asking for an appointment.
And I think Jim Kelly drove Rivers and Fouts to the building....

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
just like before it will take a new QB to get us there. I love Geno but he's not that guy pal.
An argument could be made that Geno did more for the team last year than Russ did during our SB winning season. Put a team on the field with a great D, strong OL & a stable full of weapons...I think Geno will be an effective leader and performer.

Last edited: