Which QB controversy will be more entertaining?

toffee

Reaction score
Wilson/Field or Cousins/Penix?

Wilson and Cousins, were drafted in 2012, and both were signed by a new team this season, only to be surprised by their new teams that they went out to sign and draft another QB, setting up a potentially entertaining season of controversies. Justin Fields was 11th overall pick in 2021, Michael Penix Jr. an 8th overall pick this season.

Which one of these two situations will be more entertaining to follow?

chrispy

Reaction score
Pittsburgh=more drama
Atlanta=better football

I think Cousins and Penix will act professionally whatever happens. They'll both have opportunities and both play well. Someone in Pittsburgh will melt down.

Wilson has been all over the news about how he feels young again. I interpret that as him trying to keep up with Fields and that will get him injured. Then Fields will play like Fields plays. It seems pretty predictable.

I guess I'd say Sundays will be more entertaining in Atlanta and Tues-Sat will be more entertaining in Pittsburgh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm good concentrating on what the Hawks do. But I guess for entertainment (if that's what floats your boat) of course the situation in Pitts is more entertaining.

I would love to see Penix get a shot at some point this year.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Fields already said publicly that he intends to compete for the starting job. The stage is already set. If Wilson gets an injury or loses 2-3 games early, it will heat up quickly.

Torc

Reaction score
The stealer situation will be amusing, for sure. I think if Wilson does well, he recovers the hall of fame trajectory. He doesn't even need to play at the HOF level, just needs to show some evidence that it wasn't just Pete enabling him in Seattle. If he fails, after two coaches and two poor years in Denver then I think his hall of fame candidacy becomes a stretch.

On the other hand, I think Penix is in exactly the kind of situation that is best for a young QB. Skilled starting QB, no QB controversy or competition, and he gets to learn with little pressure on him. It's the ideal way to develop a QB which means it is the opposite of what most teams do.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
On the other hand, I think Penix is in exactly the kind of situation that is best for a young QB. Skilled starting QB, no QB controversy or competition, and he gets to learn with little pressure on him. It's the ideal way to develop a QB which means it is the opposite of what most teams do.
Although unlikely, Penix could pull a Russell Wilson in training camp and preseason to force a decision too.

Torc

Reaction score
Although unlikely, Penix could pull a Russell Wilson in training camp and preseason to force a decision too.
Cousins' surgical repair is untested. I agree it is unlikely but it is possible that Penix ends up the starter. Or at least sometime during the year he is starting

chrispy

Reaction score
Starting already... Russel Wilson "excited to lead" last night on CBS. This morning, not practicing with "stiff calf" reported numerous places including CBS again. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's RCW flexing. Maybe it's team giving Fields some time with the 1s. Who knows, but it seems pretty fishy. When's the last time anyone remembers a starting QB sitting out of day 1 TC as a surprise? I guess his magic water isn't working anymore.

NoGain

Reaction score
This one's close for me. Atlanta's pick of Penix near the top of the draft board right after giving Cousins a massive new contract was one of the dumbest team moves in recent NFL history. If they really thought Penix was so good, they could have picked him without signing Cousins, gotten a much cheaper placeholder, and spent their money elsewhere to improve the team.

The question is how fast does Penix replace Cousins? Next year seems probable. There's going to be so much pressure to do so, if not sooner from the fanbase if Cousins and the team falters. The figure of Michael Penix is going to be looming in the minds of the fans, the players, the press, and especially in the mind of one Kirk Cousins.

This whole situation was set up and primed for drama.

flv2

Reaction score
I wonder how long before we see QBs demanding no-QB-Draft-replacement or financial penalty/escape clauses in their contract negotiations.

It will be tough for any NFL team to win if they're assigning 20% of their cash to the back-up QB position.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Starting already... Russel Wilson "excited to lead" last night on CBS. This morning, not practicing with "stiff calf" reported numerous places including CBS again. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's RCW flexing. Maybe it's team giving Fields some time with the 1s. Who knows, but it seems pretty fishy. When's the last time anyone remembers a starting QB sitting out of day 1 TC as a surprise? I guess his magic water isn't working anymore.
Dude has wolverine blood, hey wolverines are in the family of Weasels which are known as cunning and adept predators that hunt prey tirelessly throughout the day and night. Field better watch out lol.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Cousins/Penix will be BORING unless Cousins gets injured. Cousins will be mentoring Penix and not trying to sabotage him. Penix will be soaking up every bit of it for when his turn comes.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I dont think there will be much controversy in Atlanta. Cousins can ball and can teach the young buck while he's at it. No way Penix can step in and do what Cousins can year one. Likely not even year 2.
Penix grabs the reins, I Don't know what week, but by mid season he is ballin' out.

NoGain

Reaction score
Cousins/Penix will be BORING unless Cousins gets injured. Cousins will be mentoring Penix and not trying to sabotage him. Penix will be soaking up every bit of it for when his turn comes.
I don't think there will be much controversy or any disrespect between Cousins and Penix. But that doesn't mean there won't be a QB controversy in the not too distant future. They spent a top 10 pick on a QB they said they couldn't possibly pass up on, that he was too good. You don't sit such a guy for long if you feel that way about him. Besides, Penix is a mature 24 years old. That's why the Cousins signing was so mind-baffling.

Controversy can come from different places. I've heard that in the locker room a lot of players already see Penix as the future, and that he's well liked. Then there's the fans and the media. If the team or Cousins slips, there is going to be controversy.

Most teams have come around to believing that QB's picked near the top of the draft board are better off learning from playing. Burrow, Allen, CJ, Bryce Young, Herbert, etc.., these guys didn't ride the bench watching and waiting for their turn.

Anyway...we'll see.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I'll take that bet. I think Cousins is the dude until he gets hurt and cant play
You have a good chance of being correct, but Penix has that "magic" that defies explanation. Cousins, has bad mojo.