Which QB controversy will be more entertaining? Wilson/Field or Cousins/Penix

toffee

Reaction score
Wilson and Cousins, were drafted in 2012, and both were signed by a new team this season, only to be surprised by their new teams that they went out to sign and draft another QB, setting up a potentially entertaining season of controversies. Justin Fields was 11th overall pick in 2021, Michael Penix Jr. an 8th overall pick this season.

Which one of these two situations will be more entertaining to follow?

chrispy

Reaction score
Pittsburgh=more drama
Atlanta=better football

I think Cousins and Penix will act professionally whatever happens. They'll both have opportunities and both play well. Someone in Pittsburgh will melt down.

Wilson has been all over the news about how he feels young again. I interpret that as him trying to keep up with Fields and that will get him injured. Then Fields will play like Fields plays. It seems pretty predictable.

I guess I'd say Sundays will be more entertaining in Atlanta and Tues-Sat will be more entertaining in Pittsburgh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm good concentrating on what the Hawks do. But I guess for entertainment (if that's what floats your boat) of course the situation in Pitts is more entertaining.

I would love to see Penix get a shot at some point this year.

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont think there will be much controversy in Atlanta. Cousins can ball and can teach the young buck while he's at it. No way Penix can step in and do what Cousins can year one. Likely not even year 2.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Fields already said publicly that he intends to compete for the starting job. The stage is already set. If Wilson gets an injury or loses 2-3 games early, it will heat up quickly.

Torc

Reaction score
The stealer situation will be amusing, for sure. I think if Wilson does well, he recovers the hall of fame trajectory. He doesn't even need to play at the HOF level, just needs to show some evidence that it wasn't just Pete enabling him in Seattle. If he fails, after two coaches and two poor years in Denver then I think his hall of fame candidacy becomes a stretch.

On the other hand, I think Penix is in exactly the kind of situation that is best for a young QB. Skilled starting QB, no QB controversy or competition, and he gets to learn with little pressure on him. It's the ideal way to develop a QB which means it is the opposite of what most teams do.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
On the other hand, I think Penix is in exactly the kind of situation that is best for a young QB. Skilled starting QB, no QB controversy or competition, and he gets to learn with little pressure on him. It's the ideal way to develop a QB which means it is the opposite of what most teams do.
Although unlikely, Penix could pull a Russell Wilson in training camp and preseason to force a decision too.

Torc

Reaction score
Although unlikely, Penix could pull a Russell Wilson in training camp and preseason to force a decision too.
Cousins' surgical repair is untested. I agree it is unlikely but it is possible that Penix ends up the starter. Or at least sometime during the year he is starting