What kind of defense do we run?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I see 3 defensive linemen out there. Didn't we switch to a 34 because it's supposed to be better against the run?

BASF

Reaction score
As has been pointed out, we like every defense run different defenses depending on offensive personnel packages and down and distance. We have featured two D-Line, three D-Line, four D-Line and five D-Line. The major problem is talent. The next major problem is Clint Hurtt calling defense that does not match the offensive personnel or down and distance. The next major problem is the effort of several of the players who apparently do not want to play for Clint Hurtt.

GemCity

Reaction score
From stats alone, I’m guessing a 1-10.

But, from watching the games, it’s mostly a 3-4 and hybrid of such.

Mix

Reaction score
DT/DE/OG/OC/LB/CB/RB/WR

Are all positions of need or could greatly benefit from Depth.
I hope we have a boring Trench draft.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I seriously despise the feeble 3 dl front we always seem to use--even on the goal line. It's this soft prevent that has zero pass rush. The main problem with our defense is the play calling.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
As has been pointed out, we like every defense run different defenses depending on offensive personnel packages and down and distance. We have featured two D-Line, three D-Line, four D-Line and five D-Line. The major problem is talent. The next major problem is Clint Hurtt calling defense that does not match the offensive personnel or down and distance. The next major problem is the effort of several of the players who apparently do not want to play for Clint Hurtt.
Can you comment on the players who "do not want to play for Clint Hurtt"? I have not heard of this

BASF

Reaction score
Can you comment on the players who "do not want to play for Clint Hurtt"? I have not heard of this
Action speaks louder than words. Watch the last Rams drive where they scored the go ahead touchdown. Half of the defense were standing around on the running plays. It is either they don't want to play for Hurtt or they are point shaving.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't run any one front. We're in an era of defense where being a 4-3 or 3-4 front doesn't mean very much. Teams are constantly shifting fronts and coming out in different formations based on what offenses are running. We're still using 4-3 and Bear in addition to 3-4 and things like 2-4-5 and 3-3-5.

3-4 isn't necessarily better against the run either. The virtue of this front is it gives defenses a lot more sideline to sideline speed. The 3-4 front also is easier to obfuscate coverages and blitz's pre-snap. We've been moving more towards the 3-4 side of things for a few years now. In the LOB heyday we were running a hybrid defense of sorts. The elephant position we had was a stand up linebacker built like a 3-4 OLB.

A 3-4 OLB is essentially an quick, undersized DE in the 4-3 scheme that has more speed and plays in the standing up position and is usually spread out wider from this formation, but not always. Think guys such as Von Miller. Early on we used guys such as Chris Clemons and even Irvin in this manner.

The 2-4-5, which is one of the fronts we're running the most, is 2 lineman, 4 linebackers and 5 defensive backs. What the Seahawks are trying to do is run the Fangio system, which is the dominant defense in the league. It arose as a counter to the Shanahan/McVay system, replacing the defense meta that Carroll had set in the NFL -- as Carroll's system faired poorly against this style of offense.

The Fangio system is known for being extremely flexible and unpredictable. It's very good at hiding intentions and coverages. Players and coaches often time have a hard time ascertaining where pressure is going to come from or what coverages are going to be ran and where.

The issue we're having is it is a lot more of a "heady" system than Carroll's was. Carroll has kept the philosophy of keep it simple stupid. Even in the LOB heyday, his defenses were incredibly simple. His thought was if he simplified the game, and fielded superior athletes, they'd be able to unlock their true potential and just line up and beat opponents. We ran more base defense than just about everyone in the NFL, we didn't bother hiding our intentions. This approach worked for a lot of players, but the state of NFL offenses evolved. Even still, it was an effective strategy for quite a long time. Players didn't have to worry about complicated assignments, they just lined up and ran with it.

In this system that we have, there is a lot more responsibility placed on linebackers in particular. They need to be able to read quickly, shed blocks and shoot the right gaps -- especially in the 2-4-5 front. Our guys aren't doing that. In addition to this, our lineman except for Al Woods and Shelby Harris have been complete garbage.

The only linebacker that has been worth anything has been Uchenna Nwosu this season. Brooks, despite his gaudy tackling numbers has been struggling. He's been slow to get in his gap responsibilities. Barton, well he's just not been great, period.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I appreciate the football knowledge on this forum, that is why the forum is and will remain relevant, we were fans of football before reddit and discord.

Anyway, I have a hard time believing that an NFL coach would routinely call plays that do not match down and distance. While it explains a lot, how does this really happen?
Say what you will about coach Hurtt's results thus far, you have to imagine he's been around the game long enough to understand situational football, so it's a choice then, wonder why. Are they out thinking themselves?

BASF

Reaction score
I appreciate the football knowledge on this forum, that is why the forum is and will remain relevant, we were fans of football before reddit and discord.

Anyway, I have a hard time believing that an NFL coach would routinely call plays that do not match down and distance. While it explains a lot, how does this really happen?
Say what you will about coach Hurtt's results thus far, you have to imagine he's been around the game long enough to understand situational football, so it's a choice then, wonder why. Are they out thinking themselves?
They are. A few of the more savvy fans here believe that the system is now the system and they are using this low expectations seasons to weed out the players who can not get the system or are not interested in playing in the system. Sadly the ladder seems to have infected several of the players including a few I really liked and respected before this season.

WarHawks

Reaction score
DT/DE/OG/OC/LB/CB/RB/WR

Are all positions of need or could greatly benefit from Depth.
I hope we have a boring Trench draft.
This. As much as I'm still not sold on Geno, and feel we should get a qb for the long term, the thought of passing up someone like Carter is gut wrenching. Maybe they get Carter, then trade up and get a qb like Levis. Or maybe they just wait until '24. Who knows. What is certain however, is that they desperately need generational talent in the trenches and at LB. Wagner and KJ playing together seems like such a distant memory.

Reactions: Mix

Latest posts