Welcome back Mr. Woolen

toffee

Reaction score
Woolen was a probowler last year but had some injury issues during the off season that lasted well into the training camp. But he has been playing better, and he had a good game vs Commanders. Sam Howell's QB rating was 42.4 when he targeted Woolen's way, 6 targets, 2 catches for 13 yards. Although one of those two catches had a YAC of 12 yards. Woolen also had one pass breakup.

San Howell may not be a household name but for reference, his season's RTG is 91.4, his game RTG was 109.3. Howell didn't have any success against Woolen, with 6 targets, not that he didn't try. Interestingly, Howell's RTG in two games against the Eagles were 114, and 98.6.

For whatever it's worth, PFF gave Woolen a 82.1 on coverage in this game. His highest of the season.

Welcome back Mr. Woolen, nice to see that you are making your way back to playing like a star.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I agree, looked like he had his confidence and swagger back as well.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure if he's all the way back, he has played better, and hope that boosted his confidence.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I recall him being above average. But honestly, I’m not sure.

This year, it’s noticeable.
I don't really recall him being this bad last season, either.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts on "sophomore slumps" from ex players like Sherm and KJ. I wonder if a big part of what we consider to be a sophomore slump is basically just athletes trying to "find and fine-tune their neutral gear"... if that makes sense. Like, whenever I would start a new job or get a promotion, I would tend to go extra hard out the gate. And then, after a quarterly review or something, I would kinda dial it back after knowing what I CAN kick it up to. In hindsight, I would realize I maybe ended up dialing it back a little too much. Ultimately finding my "happy medium".

I'm just freestyling and spot balling, but I feel like this might be the case for some "sophomore slumps"

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I recall him being above average. But honestly, I’m not sure.

This year, it’s noticeable.
You got me going, I went to check on it. Interestingly, PFF observed differently, so take it as a different data point or perspective:

2022 : tackle 36.5 ; run defense 47.8 ; coverage 77.8
2023 : tackle 50.2 ; run defense 51.1 ; coverage 70.3

He missed 18.7% of tackles in 2022, 16.1% in 2023. Woolen also played a bit more slot, and FS this year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I don't recall Deion Sanders missing out on All Pro nominations because he never tackled.

Woolen is the Tyler Lockett of CB's. Admire his speed and coverage skills and forgive his business decisions. With his frame, I'd rather have Woolen on the field than nursing injuries brought on by over aggressive tackling.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I don't recall Deion Sanders missing out on All Pro nominations because he never tackled.

Woolen is the Tyler Lockett of CB's. Admire his speed and coverage skills and forgive his business decisions. With his frame, I'd rather have Woolen on the field than nursing injuries brought on by over aggressive tackling.
So true, I remember fans picked on him for avoiding tackles when he played for the 9ers.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Not sure what this welcome back business is about. He's played fine. The whole defense has had issues with tackling so I'm not going to harp on one dude.

GemCity

Reaction score
You got me going, I went to check on it. Interestingly, PFF observed differently, so take it as a different data point or perspective:

2022 : tackle 36.5 ; run defense 47.8 ; coverage 77.8
2023 : tackle 50.2 ; run defense 51.1 ; coverage 70.3

He missed 18.7% of tackles in 2022, 16.1% in 2023. Woolen also played a bit more slot, and FS this year.
Thanks for looking it up! I think the last sentence is why I’ve noticed it more. Being closer to the action, I’ve seen more total “whiffs” than I could recall.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Thanks for looking it up! I think the last sentence is why I’ve noticed it more. Being closer to the action, I’ve seen more total “whiffs” than I could recall.
He may never tackle like Sherm, I would take that if he dominates in coverage. On that note, his coverage seems to be moving in the right direction.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That PI in the end zone.........what a pathetic joke. Instead of them taking the 3, the refs just handed them a touchdown.