We Were All Wrong

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I said 7 was their floor (and Super Bowl was their ceiling, but I said that kind of in jest) and thought the offense would look better with Geno than it has with Russ.

I didn't however predict the offense looking quite this good or the defense being the dumpster fire it was to start the year nor did I see such a quick turnaround coming on this defense.

But I'm not actually shocked by them doing well. I never understood the idea that we were going to be worse. Losing Russ appeared to me to be a net positive and I thought losing Bobby was going to be neutral. (I was probably wrong on that point, though.)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I would change mine from 6 or 7 wins to a 9-8 record at this point. But IF they stay heathy, 10 wins is a legit possibility. They look that locked in and are getting better as the season is progressing. Exactly what we were hoping for.

keasley45

Reaction score
Fade, if it makes you feel better to yield and claim you were no different than everyone else who was 'wrong', that's cool.

For some, the Hawks making the playoffs this year wasn't a pipe dream, nor was it homerism. This team is far more talented than the team PC piloted to 7 wins with T Jack. It is FAR better than the team that won 7 games last year. And Geno's numbers pointed exactly to consistent, reliable production.

He was 5-1 in TDs last year, 68% complete, off the bench.

This year, he's 11-3 and 73%. Sure, his completion percentage is higher, but he was playing cold last year and posted 68%. That's far from a 'who could have predicted this' scenario.

This year is nothing more than a continuation of what was there for everyone to see.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think this draft class is an absolute home run and that has helped a ton. The previous 5-6 classes were all not very good. I hope whatever part of their draft process they fixed and the next class is loaded too and you can be right back in it.

Aircrew

Reaction score
We may have all been wrong, but you were the most wrong. Like, pants-on-head running-around-in-circles wrong.

You were coming at people predicting a near-500 season and acting like they were the irrational ones, and you absolutely deserve this blowing up in your face regardless of how hard you try to pivot to the other side.

Your expectations have, yet again, been smashed by a Pete Carroll squad and now you're moving the goalposts to NFCCG appearance in a year where you insulted people who predicted over 5 wins. Get over yourself.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think this draft class is an absolute home run and that has helped a ton. The previous 5-6 classes were all not very good. I hope whatever part of their draft process they fixed and the next class is loaded too and you can be right back in it.

If said classes weren't any good, then how is our boy Fade saying this is a Super Bowl roster with the right coach?

Lay it out for me, please. @Fade or anyone. Please explain how the worst roster constructors in the NFL badly drafted their way to a 12-win Super Bowl level roster.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I expected that we would take our lumps this year, be improved next year and then be playoff-bound the year after that. I was worried that Pete would draft a QB and then leave before that QB could be developed and then the new coach would be "stuck" with someone at QB that he didn't really want. When it comes to Geno's success, I remember DK being asked about Geno during a pre-season interview and he just grinned and said, "Just wait and see." DK knew this was coming.

HawkinNY

Reaction score

I had 'em at 5 wins (so did Vegas), pessimists had 'em at 3 wins, most were lukewarm predicting 6-7 wins. The forever koolaid drinking, unrealistically optimistic, believers had 'em at 9-11 wins.

This is a 12 win team. Please, raise your hand and take a bow if you had them at 12 wins.

The Seahawks under the great Shane Waldron feature the #1 scoring offense in the NFC. That is with the offense being held back at times early in the season by an overly conservative head coach, due to starting 2 Rookie OTs, and Against AZ, Pete shutdown the offense - playing Pete Ball for the majority of the game. But not against the Chargers, he unleashed MVP candidate Geno Smith even after DK left the game with an injury. They kept their foot on the gas as Geno unfurled an up the sideline go ball to his main squeeze, Marquise Goodwin.

On defense they were historically bad, but all they needed to do was get the defense to an average level and they could win the division in a down year with their amazing offense. Welp... they trash canned the defense they started the year with, and have played at a well above average level the last 2 games, going back to a defense that better fits their personnel.

It's cool to see, they've fixed the things that they needed to fix that were obvious.
Ultimately, I can't get fully on board though. Pete is going to squander it. I've seen him under perform too many times and do less with more throughout the years. This is a team with the right coach that should make the Super Bowl in a down NFC, NFCCG minimum. However, Pete will find a way to lose in the WC or Division round. It is his shtick at this point.

Pete must make the NFCCG. There is no excuse why he can't. Who is good in the NFC? The Buccs, Rams, 49ers, & Packers were supposed to be the contenders in the conference. They stink. The Eagles are good, that's it, good. The Cowboys are legit on defense, but Dak and their O leave a lot to be desired. The Vikings? Ha-ha, Kirk Cousins... Ha-ha-ha! The Giants have only 1 loss on the year, but they are going to get destroyed by the Seahawks next week.

If Pete is half as good as people on here claim he is, there is no reason for him not to make the NFCCG.
What teams in the NFC is Seattle incapable of beating?

As much as I have faith in this team I also don’t want to predict anything. I’m glad Pete is being redeemed some. He has shown us once again how he is an amazing coach. There were times we all blamed him. But now we will never blame him to the extent we did.

What do we do with Geno next year is the big question. If he plays this way he will demand a decent dollar. Does Pete think any decent QB can thrive in this system? Will be great to see. If Denver is awful and Seattle makes the playoffs we will still have some great picks next year. And if they hit like they did this past one. Oh boy this team will be dangerous! Haha. Get it?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's cool to see, they've fixed the things that they needed to fix that were obvious.
Ultimately, I can't get fully on board though. Pete is going to squander it. I've seen him under perform too many times and do less with more throughout the years. This is a team with the right coach that should make the Super Bowl in a down NFC, NFCCG minimum. However, Pete will find a way to lose in the WC or Division round. It is his shtick at this point.

You can't even type out an "I was wrong" apology thread without taking a shot.

It's OK Fade, you're slowly getting there. I have faith.

Pete believed in Geno when no one else did. Pete knew Russell was an albatross around the organization's neck and he had to go. Pete helped hit on the greatest draft class since 2012. Pete turned this defense around in two weeks. Pete's already created a winner that the entire league and media thought was the 31st or 32nd worst team.

Pete.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I really need people to consider just how irrational this is.

It took all of 7 games for Pete's squad to turn Fade's expectation from 5 wins MAX to literally NFCCG or bust - and somehow Pete is the failure here? Somehow PETE FANS are the ones drinking the Koolaid?
We're playing well, there's no doubt about that. But NFCCG or bust? There's a lot of teams that are playing as well or better than we are, including nearly the entire NFC East. Let's wait until after Turkey Day before we start talking about playoffs (que Jim Mora Sr.).

But I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. We are doing very well, and are in a good position at this point of the season as there seems to be a vacuum that exists in the conference with so many favorites doing poorly. The Giants game is going to be another test, and we're likely to be underdogs again. We win that one and people will sit up and take notice.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We're playing well, there's no doubt about that. But NFCCG or bust? There's a lot of teams that are playing as well or better than we are, including nearly the entire NFC East. Let's wait until after Turkey Day before we start talking about playoffs (que Jim Mora Sr.).

But I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. We are doing very well, and are in a good position at this point of the season as there seems to be a vacuum that exists in the conference with so many favorites doing poorly. The Giants game is going to be another test, and we're likely to be underdogs again. We win that one and people will sit up and take notice.

I'm high on this team making the playoffs, but NFCCG or Bust is just another unrealistic benchmark that Fade is setting to come back to later.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can they make the playoffs? Maybe. But the fact that it's in the legit conversation says a ton. This season and this draft class has been an incredible surprise. And this team is fun to watch. They have zero panic in them, and you can see it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Can they make the playoffs? Maybe. But the fact that it's in the legit conversation says a ton. This season and this draft class has been an incredible surprise. And this team is fun to watch. They have zero panic in them, and you can see it.

Comes from the coach.

Pete Carroll's got an innate cool factor in his psyche that lets him embrace chaos. I remember an article about the game during the LOB era against the Rams where Seattle needed a goal line stand to win. Highest pressure situation there is. Carroll had a timeout and said something along the lines of "how fricken cool is this?" to his guys.

He not only doesn't shy away, he LOVES the opportunity to battle in big moments like that. It trickles down to his guys. It's a rare trait.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering if there would be an I was wrong about PETE in there somewhere. Pete is GOING to squander it. That's the spirit!
Oh well, I'm loving every minute of this season. Enjoying wins is fun.

Not sure why it's so hard for some fans to admit they were wrong.

I was wrong, I thought the game had passed Pete by. I said it here 100 times over the past 5-6 years, because I thought Russell's struggles and the team's struggles were partly Pete's fault.

Not that the HC shouldn't shoulder blame when things don't go well. But NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE other than Pete and the players inside that locker room thought this team would be 4-3 and playing at this level.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I admit I was wrong too. I thought this would be a 5 win team at the end of the season. They'll have win number 5 within the next couple of weeks. I'm pleasantly surprised on how well they are playing this season. Defense is now playing better so there is a good shot at double digit win season. Currently, they are sitting in first. It's been a strange season - TB and GB struggling. The Giants and Jets having a great season so far. The division is open for the taking...why not the Seahawks!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I was ready to move on from Pete as well. This might be his best coaching job yet. He's coaching his a** off
And you're 100 percent right Sgt. Nobody but that team and coaching staff thought they would be this good. And they are very likely to get even better.
Stadium should be rockin' on Sunday. Hawks, Jets, Giants. Plus the Eagles being unbeaten........some legit big time surprises so far.