We shoulda run out the clock

kmedic

Reaction score
1st and goal with 40 seconds left and a couple of time outs. It sounds absurd, but we should have run the ball short of the goal line and called the time out with under 15 seconds left, then have 2 shots to score the TD.

That's how bad our late 4th quarter defense is....

Decimation

Reaction score
They had two timeouts left dude. Wouldn't have made a difference.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of that. Too risky. We would have had to take it down to under ten seconds or so for it to make a difference.

HawkHack

Reaction score
Decimation":rsdi9b74 said:

Not true. ATL had to use both of their timeouts just to get in FG range. If we had forced them to burn even one, it might have made a real difference.

I think Pete needs to hire a personal clock management coach. I thought he mismanaged the clock at the end of the first half as well -- and that wasn't the first time. I love Pete and wouldn't give him up for any other coach, but it seems to be a persistent weakness.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm not against that idea. I do think we should have taken more time off the clock.

Another 15 seconds would have changed the outcome.

:les:

salukihawk12

Reaction score
Agreed wholeheartedly. I was screaming this out loud because I could just envision what was going to happen... and it did.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
And then if we dont score this forum is on full melt down right now.

You take the points when you can get them then hope youre D can hold. Dissapointing, but oh well.

Fox0r

Reaction score
You have to take the TD whenever you can get it. I don't agree with you, unfortunately.

Rainger

Reaction score
If your D can not stop a team with 31 sec left then you dont deserve to win. And as much as I love this team we BLEW it. Like 3 other times this season losing in last 30 sec.

themunn

Reaction score
Decimation":22vioxnj said:

and if you can force them to use one (or better yet, both), then they don't make that field goal

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
On that last Seahawks drive, I was kind of hoping for one stop...just to kill ten seconds or so. Beast was going to score from there no matter what. Matt Ryan and Gonzales were clutch, and got work done on their last drive.

kendog2639

Reaction score
qb sneak dive ahead a yard and let 15 sec run off... worth the risk imo!!

this is prlly why i sit on my couch on sundays and not else where

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When Lynch had that run with 35 seconds left, I was hoping he would stay in bounds. I too am of the belief had we knocked even ten more seconds off, we might be moving on to San Fran. But then again, if our defense can't stop their offense it's all moot any ways.

pehawk

Reaction score
I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but I too would've played for Seattle being the last team with the ball. It's a hindsight thing.

marylandseahawker

Reaction score
The ball was on the 2-yard line....you cant run the ball short....they would have to kneel.....if you waste 2 plays in an attempt to take time off the clock and dont get in the endzone, the game is over. The defense should have been able to stop them from going 35 yards in 15 seconds.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
All I have to say is 4th and one...

Take the points, yards, and damn the clock...

rjdriver

Reaction score
marylandseahawker":2qrcmgoj said:
The ball was on the 2-yard line....you cant run the ball short....they would have to kneel.....if you waste 2 plays in an attempt to take time off the clock and dont get in the endzone, the game is over. The defense should have been able to stop them from going 35 yards in 15 seconds.

I suppose, I mean I agree and all, but....

ATL has a ton of timeouts, they have a good kickoff return. They need 35 yards in two plays. That's two passes of 17 yards, not exactly unheard of in this league regardless of the defense. That kick (the second one) would have been good from another ten FWIW.

It all comes down to two easy FG that for whatever reason were not attempted. It sucks.

marylandseahawker

Reaction score
Can you imagine if the Seahawks would have kneeled at the 2 yard line to run time off the clock and then failed to get in the enzone....would have been the worst call in the history of the NFL. You're first objective was to get in the enzone (success) Second objective is to prevent Atlanta from driving 30 yards with only 25 seconds on the clock (failed).