We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":29itbin9 said:
I luvya Seymour, keep being you. I enjoy reading your posts.

But you need to fall back on this one.

This is no Richardson situation.

On the bright side you can play the " I told you so " card if he gets hurt. So there's that.

I'd honestly prefer not to get the chance to play that game.

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":2e0rr2mn said:
Fade":2e0rr2mn said:
I luvya Seymour, keep being you. I enjoy reading your posts.

But you need to fall back on this one.

This is no Richardson situation.

On the bright side you can play the " I told you so " card if he gets hurt. So there's that.

I'd honestly prefer not to get the chance to play that game.

For sure. :2thumbs:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1168658461971759105[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1168667162812268545[/tweet]

Mick063

Reaction score
Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Chris Clemmons were all great pass rushers for Carroll. I absolutely believe that this guy will be better than all of them. Much better.

In my mind, this rivals the trade for Beast Mode. I honestly believe he will have that type of impact. There is a reason he was taken #1 overall, ahead of Kahlil Mack.

Concerned about his age? How long he can be effective? Reggie White played two years of USFL, then seven years with the Eagles before he joined the Packers as a nine year veteran. He was voted defensive MVP, the best defensive player in the NFL in 1998, a full fifteen years after beginning his career with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL in 1984. Transcendent players defy the odds. I'm talking about players that are so athletically gifted, that even when their game begins to decline, they are still elite.

Clowney can play every down and is just as adept against the run as he is rushing the passer. He can seal the edge and turn run plays inside toward pursuit. He disrupts by penetration and makes his living on the opponent's side of the line of scrimmage. He has 4.45 speed. He has very long arms to mitigate the reach of offensive linemen. This long reach allows for a very unique form of leverage. In other words, he doesn't have to get low for a leverage advantage as his lengthy arms allows him to play high. Very, very few defensive players can get away with this and this is the reason why I mentioned Reggie White earlier. I have only seen three other defensive players that can reliably gain a leverage advantage while playing high. Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Julius Peppers. All of them athletic freaks. All of them using their long reach for a leverage advantage. Further, Clowney is physically strong relative to how lean he is. He can move up and down the line of scrimmage. He can play from a two point stance or with his hand on the ground. I am gushing over this acquisition.

To hell with this one year rental talk. Make this guy a core player for at least the next five years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seymour":164ld0mk said:
Uncle Si":164ld0mk said:
Seahawk Sailor":164ld0mk said:
The entire football world is describing in graphic detail how we took the Texans behind the woodshed with that deal and beat them like a rented mule, and you're still finding ways to say it's a bad deal?

Add up the numbers. We got one of the premier defensive players in the league for what amounts to a third round pick next year and a couple million more than we were going to pay a backup linebacker. And we could still get the pick back if he decides to make this a one-year deal.

But he evidently spurned other offers and pushed things hard enough to force the Texans to deal him here. He wants to be here. He got his dream location on a team with a real shot at the big dance, if not this year, then the next few as well, after he plays his ass off proving he's worth a big paycheck out of it. He's not going anywhere. And even if he did, we're getting a defensive star for what amounts to a Happy Meal™ and some pocket change we found under the couch cushions.

Possibly you did not read my post real well??? Let me cut out everything except the answer to your statement for you.

That actually will be a good team deal overall IMO.

To be fair, you followed that by registering more concerns

And yet I said it was a good deal also. Listing previous reservation did not change that opinion and his post said I thought it was a bad deal. Did you too miss that? Wrong color possibly? :roll:

You called it a good deal, but with a caveat. There is no caveat. This is a great, no risk, high reward deal. This is not opinion, this is not homerism, this is fact. Clowney could give us nothing, and we're out one developmental role-player. That's it. They're a dime a dozen.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mick063":3quixby2 said:
Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Chris Clemmons were all great pass rushers for Carroll. I absolutely believe that this guy will be better than all of them. Much better.

In my mind, this rivals the trade for Beast Mode. I honestly believe he will have that type of impact. There is a reason he was taken #1 overall, ahead of Kahlil Mack.

Concerned about his age? How long he can be effective? Reggie White played two years of USFL, then seven years with the Eagles before he joined the Packers as a nine year veteran. He was voted defensive MVP, the best defensive player in the NFL in 1998, a full fifteen years after beginning his career with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL in 1984. Transcendent players defy the odds. I'm talking about players that are so athletically gifted, that even when their game begins to decline, they are still elite.

Clowney can play every down and is just as adept against the run as he is rushing the passer. He can seal the edge and turn run plays inside toward pursuit. He disrupts by penetration and makes his living on the opponent's side of the line of scrimmage. He has 4.45 speed. He has very long arms to mitigate the reach of offensive linemen. This long reach allows for a very unique form of leverage. In other words, he doesn't have to get low for a leverage advantage as his lengthy arms allows him to play high. Very, very few defensive players can get away with this and this is the reason why I mentioned Reggie White earlier. I have only seen three other defensive players that can reliably gain a leverage advantage while playing high. Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Julius Peppers. All of them athletic freaks. All of them using their long reach for a leverage advantage. Further, Clowney is physically strong relative to how lean he is. He can move up and down the line of scrimmage. He can play from a two point stance or with his hand on the ground. I am gushing over this acquisition.

To hell with this one year rental talk. Make this guy a core player for at least the next five years.

True it does help with not allowing a O lineman get into you, but all those players you mentioned had a freakish strength as well allowing them to rag doll toss a lot of O lineman that over reached and were off balance. I am not sure he has that level of strength but his quickness may help there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3nd256lb said:
Uncle Si":3nd256lb said:
Seahawk Sailor":3nd256lb said:
The entire football world is describing in graphic detail how we took the Texans behind the woodshed with that deal and beat them like a rented mule, and you're still finding ways to say it's a bad deal?

Add up the numbers. We got one of the premier defensive players in the league for what amounts to a third round pick next year and a couple million more than we were going to pay a backup linebacker. And we could still get the pick back if he decides to make this a one-year deal.

But he evidently spurned other offers and pushed things hard enough to force the Texans to deal him here. He wants to be here. He got his dream location on a team with a real shot at the big dance, if not this year, then the next few as well, after he plays his ass off proving he's worth a big paycheck out of it. He's not going anywhere. And even if he did, we're getting a defensive star for what amounts to a Happy Meal™ and some pocket change we found under the couch cushions.

Possibly you did not read my post real well??? Let me cut out everything except the answer to your statement for you.

That actually will be a good team deal overall IMO.

To be fair, you followed that by registering more concerns

And yet I said it was a good deal also. Listing previous reservation did not change that opinion and his post said I thought it was a bad deal. Did you too miss that? Wrong color possibly? :roll:

Talking out both sides of your mouth and you were called on it.

Taking the high road is juvenile. The emoji is concrete

Mick063

Reaction score
chris98251":3b9tjh5m said:
Mick063":3b9tjh5m said:

True it does help with not allowing a O lineman get into you, but all those players you mentioned had a freakish strength as well allowing them to rag doll toss a lot of O lineman that over reached and were off balance. I am not sure he has that level of strength but his quickness may help there.

Watch his highlight reels. His big plays. His penetration is almost entirely accomplished by using his long reach for leverage. He plays high, but doesn't allow offensive linemen to get to his body. As I said, it is very, very rare that a defensive player can routinely play that high and win the leverage battle. Then take a look at Pete Carrol's last interview video about Clowney. He basically says the same thing. That Clowney does things that very few others can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLjTn2AoM8

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... nant-plays

chris98251

Reaction score
Mick063":36djywtz said:
chris98251":36djywtz said:
Mick063":36djywtz said:

Watch his highlight reels. His big plays. His penetration is almost entirely accomplished by using his long reach for leverage. He plays high, but doesn't allow offensive linemen to get to his body. As I said, it is very, very rare that a defensive player can routinely play that high and win the leverage battle. Then take a look at Pete Carrol's last interview video about Clowney. He basically says the same thing. That Clowney does things that very few others can.

You just argue one thing, I said he doesn't have the strength a Taylor, Peppers, or White had to make him in that category, did not deny that his long arms help him.

You can't say Clowney is a Reggie White without him having Reggie Whites numbers and production, I am saying that he could get there but he needs more weight and strength and maintain production or actually needs more to be in their category.

Seeing his tweets he wants to add weight and more strength now that he knows he is going to be a DE he wants to add both so we shall see. Next year most likely since he is light right now and adding weight and strength while trying to paly is very difficult.

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":19xpo8zw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1168691789831626752[/tweet]

We have two sets of twins on this team now?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":1xnezbgs said:
Mick063":1xnezbgs said:
chris98251":1xnezbgs said:
Mick063":1xnezbgs said:

You just argue one thing, I said he doesn't have the strength a Taylor, Peppers, or White had to make him in that category, did not deny that his long arms help him.

You can't say Clowney is a Reggie White without him having Reggie Whites numbers and production, I am saying that he could get there but he needs more weight and strength and maintain production or actually needs more to be in their category.

Seeing his tweets he wants to add weight and more strength now that he knows he is going to be a DE he wants to add both so we shall see. Next year most likely since he is light right now and adding weight and strength while trying to paly is very difficult.

just as long as he doesn't sacrifice quickness and speed to gain weight and strength..isn't he plenty strong enough?

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
None of this means a thing unless he stays healthy. He clearly has potential, but also has the potential to be a bust.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
After watching many highlights the last day and a half, it looks like he beats blocks with a combination of speed, slipperiness, and power. A very elite combination of those 3 factors, imo. He may not need to gain weight (or much anyway). Many times the OL he beats has his hands on Clowney, but it doesn't even slow him down.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":1ge3i2xo said:
None of this means a thing unless he stays healthy. He clearly has potential, but also has the potential to be a bust.

Oh, look, the camouflaged Niner fan chimes it. It doesn't matter if he doesn't play well, because we gave up next to nothing for him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mick063":f2fxm5lu said:

Um. Clowney is 26 . . . Why would his age be a factor at all?

McGruff

Reaction score
Regarding Seymour . . . And I cant believe I am defending him.

He had an opinion. It was as valid an opinion as anyone elses.

New information came to light, and he altered his opinion. That's actually a rare trait these days, and should be applauded.

However, that new information does not negate his prior concerns, which are valid concerns.

Also, it is possible to like a move, and still have reservations. It's called having a nuanced opinion.

The world is rarely as binary as we make it out to be. There are lots of gray areas. Nothing wrong with admitting and discussing the reality that nothing is ever entirely good or bad.

Latest posts