Walker not expected to play in season opener

Mizak

Reaction score

Carroll initially said he expected rookie running back Kenneth Walker III to be back by the opener from his hernia procedure, but he has since backed off that thought. Seattle's second-round pick has been in line for a significant role alongside Rashaad Penny.

toffee

Reaction score
Will Penny be ready for Denver game? Homer doesn't have Penny's speed but he looked good in two preseason games. In worst case, we start with Homer as RB and Dallas as that 3rd down back?

balakoth

Reaction score
Will Penny be ready for Denver game? Homer doesn't have Penny's speed but he looked good in two preseason games. In worst case, we start with Homer as RB and Dallas as that 3rd down back?
He looked great against some scrubs.....

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not worried. Who cares if we don't have full RB strength Week 1? Homer and Dallas have more than proven they can take on the workload, well, for at least one week.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Carroll initially said he expected rookie running back Kenneth Walker III to be back by the opener from his hernia procedure, but he has since backed off that thought. Seattle's second-round pick has been in line for a significant role alongside Rashaad Penny.
I had to laugh at this line from Pete:

I think he sneezed the other day and made it through it. So he's doing fine.

Is that what Pete is basing his opinion of Walker's health on, that he made it through a sneeze? Holy cow!

W

Welshers

Sucks because this is by far our Super Bowl this season for me. Just beat Russ week 1. I'd be ok with losing the rest and going 1-16 if we beat Russ week 1!

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score

Is that what Pete is basing his opinion of Walker's health on, that he made it through a sneeze? Holy cow!

In all fairness, sneezing when you've had abdominal surgery could cause a setback in the healing process. Possibly busting sutures or tearing tissue is a problem.

Sneezing while having back problems isnt the same but is still an issue.

sc85sis

Reaction score

I’m going to guess you’ve never had bruised ribs or any other injury in the core area. Sneezing without excruciating pain is an excellent sign things are healing.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Given that the injury is a hernia, making it through a sneeze with minimal discomfort is actually a big deal. I would guess the comment was also tongue in cheek.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Once again the team seems snakebit with injuries at RB. Walker should be eased back as hernia injuries take some time to heal properly. Walker was a tough guy in college and for sure I hope this injury doesn't create a further series of other injuries.

Without a doubt even when the team drafts players with limited injury histories in college they wind up with trainer's room's full of higher draft picks who can't stay healthy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A hernia injury can happen to anyone, especially lifting weights. Not just from the football field. I'm not gonna' worry one bit about a guy before he even gets a chance to play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Glad they are being cautious with him, as I can see him carrying a ton for us over his career and I'd like that to be as long as possible. I will miss seeing him play week 1, but I look forward to his return to full strength. I think he's going to be something special.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I’m going to guess you’ve never had bruised ribs or any other injury in the core area. Sneezing without excruciating pain is an excellent sign things are healing.
Your guess is wrong.

If Walker's condition is so severe that he can't even sneeze without experiencing pain, then he's likely a long way from being healed enough to where he can play running back in the NFL. It's not a good measure of his health, which is how Pete was making it sound.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Given that the injury is a hernia, making it through a sneeze with minimal discomfort is actually a big deal. I would guess the comment was also tongue in cheek.
As I said above, it's that Pete was using it as a measure of his health. He's going to experience a lot more stress to his groin area by playing running back than what a sneeze can cause.

And yes, it might have been tongue in cheek, but that's a little difficult for us to determine.