Trey Lance out for year; needs ankle surgery

Marvin49

Reaction score
Actually, this was Jimmy G’s move. He saw this opportunity, and agreed to sacrifice his $24 million salary and play for $6.5M this year to avoid a release/trade (possibly to Seahawks). At least for some guys, it’s not all about the money.

...sorta.

Jimmy had conversation with other teams about being backup. Reportedly with the Rams as well.

There are some franchises though that wouldn't have brought him back regardless of his price tag to remove all doubt from their young QB. 49ers took alot of flack for bringing him back.

That's not to slight Jimmy though. I think the 49ers wanted to do this all along (barring a trade offer for sizable return) but never thought it was a real option. Big credit goes to Jimmy on this one for swallowing his pride and taking that backup role and now he's playing for a contender in a contract year. He has everything to gain.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Can you imagine what would happen to Lynch if he released/traded Jimmy G and then lost Lance?

I read somewhere that another reason they kept him was they did not want him going to Seattle

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Just think about yesterday's game if Jimmy went to the Hawks
Imagine the two game series with Wilson returning to Seattle and Jimmy G returning to Santa Clara.

I think it was a simple business decision for Jimmy G to stay put. Once it became clear that no one was going to bring him in as a starter, his salary was going to take a huge hit, no matter where he went. The most likely place for him to be able to show of his talent was where he knows the system, with a, essentially rookie, unproven starter.

Not saying I predicted it. I didn't give it much thought. Just saying it makes the most sense

Marvin49

Reaction score
Imagine the two game series with Wilson returning to Seattle and Jimmy G returning to Santa Clara.

I think it was a simple business decision for Jimmy G to stay put. Once it became clear that no one was going to bring him in as a starter, his salary was going to take a huge hit, no matter where he went. The most likely place for him to be able to show of his talent was where he knows the system, with a, essentially rookie, unproven starter.

Not saying I predicted it. I didn't give it much thought. Just saying it makes the most sense
I think that's entirely correct.

If I understand correctly, the 49ers went to Jimmys agent and proposed this as a possible solution should there not be a market for Jimmy. Jimmy and his agent waited till the last moment to see if a trade would materialize and when it didn't, they struck the deal.

Also makes sense why they said nothing as the media was all over them for not releasing Jimmy early and giving him time to find new team. They always had the restructure in their back pocket if no trade ever materialized.

QWERTY

Reaction score
In the Bears game last week, they were using him as a running back. He’s a good runner, but that’s putting your would-be franchise QB at risk.

Jimmy G has a TON of playing time incentive money in his new contract. Makes me think he anticipated a strong probability that Lance would go down.

I doubt he would had known that Lance would had go down, but he probably knew that Lance is too raw, and needs more time being 2nd string instead of a starter.

QWERTY

Reaction score
He will be. Mark my words. The kid doesn't have it at the NFL level
Dude, you are full of crap, with all your posts.

Talking about Lock winning the job, and that Geno sucked, etc.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I doubt he would had known that Lance would had go down, but he probably knew that Lance is too raw, and needs more time being 2nd string instead of a starter.
Well, it’s at least on the radar that Lance is going to be at higher risk of injury when you are using your QB as a running back.

Jimmy G also probably figured he had a good chance of replacing Lance if he falters during the season.

There’s also the attraction of being on a Super Bowl contender and getting a big contract when he goes free agent next year.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Dude, you are full of crap, with all your posts.

Talking about Lock winning the job, and that Geno sucked, etc.
Even worse he's ripping the guy in a thread about him suffering a severe injury that requires season ending surgery. Not very classy.

I hope Trey is okay and has a smooth recovery and can get back on the field next season.

Stanley

Reaction score
We've done them a favour. Was so looking forward to Lance struggling. Now he has an excuse for his bust status.
What a scrub ass take. From a mod no less. I’m going to chalk up as you’re still suffering bc your symbolic queen just died.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I hope the kid gets better but unfortunately we’ve seen his play on the field and the injury saved him from embarrassment. He’s bad at quarterback

Hawknight

Reaction score
Niners better hope that Jimmy don't get dinged up too...he's had a few injuries of his own already.

NeutralRGNr

Reaction score
I just can’t wrap my head around some people posting memes and celebrating injuries.

NeutralRGNr

Reaction score
NONE of us even know how good the kid is going to be. I'm not convinced he's going to be great at all. But to assume he sucks already? Weak
Utter garbage would be most of his posts. Especially the ones about his "sources"
That’s a fair point man. He may be bad or he could be great how can we know based on a couple of games?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He looks worse and worse every time he takes the field it’s gotta just be excruciating for Kyle to now admit fault. He just can’t get out of his own way and can’t read defenses and lacks pocket awareness. Doesn’t slide and has the worst passer rating and completion percentage in the league by a very large margin.He would suck as a backup even. Why 49er fans cling to his balls like he’s Mahomes is beyond me

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seems to me like injuries have been a big problem for SF the last few years. They finally got an injury that actually helps them win games.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Whether he's good, bad, or indifferent isn't the point of this thread. The kid is out for the season with an injury. I wish him a full and speedy recovery, and then let the chips fall where they may.