Trade for Akers?

Spohawks

Reaction score
The hawks do need a 1-2 punch as RB to make Peter happy, however the cost would be to much.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Just read a report saying it's a done deal. Akers to Seahawks. I have mixed feelings, and questions, although given suggested price for the Carolina Pride I guess price isn't one of them.
If it's this one, it's just a misleading headline that says they should trade for him. Hasn't been traded yet. It got me earlier, too.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Akers is ordinary, Dallas & Homer deserve their shot.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If it's this one, it's just a misleading headline that says they should trade for him. Hasn't been traded yet. It got me earlier, too.

Might have been that one, I don't know. I've been trying to do too many things at the same time. I know I was very surprised at the prospect the Rams would deal with us.

Mick063

Reaction score
Oh hell no. Don't take touches from DJ Dallas. He earned them. Fearless special teamers need rewarded to set an example. Rob a practice squad for RB depth. The position doesn't merit draft capital at this point in time.

Last edited:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
They signed the guy from the Saints on waivers didn't they?

Tony Jones Jr?

They also have Igbuweike on the PS.

seabowl

Reaction score
I just don’t get these topics. We have 4 capable rb’s on the roster and we will trade for a rb in the division? SMH

Ruminator

Reaction score
I do like how Pete isn't shy about signing players from division rivals -- like he's messing with them. Did so a few times with 49ers back during the LOB years, though they weren't shy about returning the favor, either.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
I doubt the Rams trade him in division to the overachieving division rivals lol. I would take it for a low round pick. Anyone saying he’s worse than Dallas or Homer is looking a little too fondly at our RB stable. They are just change of pace backs at best for 3rd down. Akers when healthy can gash opponents. He’s talented, idk if he’s still immature but if he gets it together he can be lethal. Don’t forget what he did to us that last playoff year.

Mick063

Reaction score
Yeah, when did Akers suddenly become a crappy back? Hmmmm

For ANY player, it is NEVER about being good, or "crappy". It is about being worth the compensation. The salary cap shifts the focus away from the simplicity of a player just being good or not. The salary cap shifts focus to value. "Bang for the buck". Aquisition cost. Living up to the contract. A player can be really good and not worth his contract (or the draft capital required to obtain him) at the same time. In fact, it is quite common and explains seemingly head scratching roster cuts throughout the league. Trust me. The management was on the phone trying to deal that "good" player before the cut took place. If that good player isn't worth his contract, then there will not be any takers, and it is time for him to take a pay cut. Animosity for that pay cut often means you have to move him, but some players will stick for the lesser money.

The rule of thumb is this: Once a player is past his rookie deal, the built-in veteran salary structure (as dictated by the collective bargaining agreement) nearly ALWAYS dictates that you get better value from filling depth with rookie contracts (or veterans willing to play for league minimum). Now a player can be in his second or third year of a rookie deal, but it is STILL a rookie deal. And that is all that Akers would ever be in Seattle. Depth. Value=filling depth with rookie deals and being "good" is not the main variable in this equation.

The caveat is true contenders that are "luxury" pieces away from putting them over the top. This explains "Salary Cap Hell" which is a subject all of its own.

Last edited:

Latest posts