To the Panthers fans...

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I was wrong about the Panthers. They seem to be a legitimately good team this year....the best they've been since Newton has been there.

Congrats on the win.

If you look at the undefeated teams, there are three that keep winning but it's not pretty:

Packers, Broncos, Panthers

Then who are clearly the two best teams in the NFL thus far IMO:

Patriots and Bengals

But the Packers, Broncos and Panthers can beat anyone....this NFL season has been very strange thus far

ctrcat

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Again Dave Gettleman has done an amazing job as GM to set this team up for short and long term success. Things finally broke our way but whichever NFCW team we may face down the road will be a handful.

Certainly I gave us a far better chance than most when Benjamin went down since I've seen the progression of the team for years, but even I didn't think winning the whole thing this year was in the cards. Health is always the unknown x-factor but if Jared Allen and Charles Johnson return healthy at DE I wouldn't bet against it.

While it was just one game in so many ways it was far bigger. Thanks again.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Packers win pretty in most games imo. Carolina is definitely a grit and grind type of team. They should bully the rest of the teams in that soft division.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Packers and Patriots are clearly the two best teams in the NFL.
Panthers and Bengals the next two best teams
Broncos are the worst undefeated team in the league...but they just keep finding ways to win.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1wjj524m said:
I was wrong about the Panthers. They seem to be a legitimately good team this year....the best they've been since Newton has been there.

Congrats on the win.

If you look at the undefeated teams, there are three that keep winning but it's not pretty:

Packers, Broncos, Panthers

Then who are clearly the two best teams in the NFL thus far IMO:

Patriots and Bengals

But the Packers, Broncos and Panthers can beat anyone....this NFL season has been very strange thus far

Broncos are IMO the worst of those teams...by the time they get to the playoffs id be shocked if Manning didnt allready retire...That offense and Manning in particular are so ...so...bad.

Manning has 7TD 10INt and a 72.5 QB rating this year

They mentioned it during the game I believe Sunday but the last 16 games Manning has been very bad.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawkfan68":eyfpebn6 said:
Broncos are the worst undefeated team in the league...but they just keep finding ways to win.

With opponents like Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, KC, Baltimore and Minnesota, it's not hard to believe even a bad team having a really good record. I doubt they'll be able to win upcoming games against quality opponents playing the way they have been.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
rideaducati":5j18gih8 said:
hawkfan68":5j18gih8 said:

With opponents like Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, KC, Baltimore and Minnesota, it's not hard to believe even a bad team having a really good record. I doubt they'll be able to win upcoming games against quality opponents playing the way they have been.
This is a valid point.

Team record is a definite indicator. But, anyone can come onto a board and say "this is the best team" simply by looking at the standings and picking an undefeated team or two.

Barring injuries, there are teams building a record which can be advantageous going into the playoffs for positioning. But, teams like the Packers will be toast if Rodgers goes down. Probably the same with the Patriots, but they would likely do better than the Packers without their starting QB.

I don't know how Cincy would fare without a couple of key players. But, I have a hard time believing they can be the same team into the playoffs. They're definitely playing well now. But, it's funny how the Seahawks are no where in the conversation b/c of a narrow loss to one of these "better" teams and playing the Packers pretty tough in Green Bay without Kam Chancellor.

When the best "teams" are named due to mostly ONE player... I have a hard time saying it's the best team. I don't think there's enough data yet. Strange things can happen and we're only in week 7. I think we'll have a better picture in about 5 weeks, but then that's about the time a "team" can get hot and surge into the playoffs and be the team no one wants to face at home or away. (Those NYG teams, etc.)

Perhaps what this topic is more about is.... which teams are currently pulling out more wins? What is the criteria for "best"? Wins? Talent?, Chemistry?, etc. We certainly like to label and name things. Doesn't matter when the tournament rolls around. As long as you're in, you've got a shot. The team with the best record isn't just crowned.

mikeak

Reaction score
Back when Miami won the championship I made the point that an easy schedule allows you to have fewer injuries in a season. Carolina is benefitting from the same. Our 2-4 team were up significantly against them and the Bengals. The fact that they won doesn't mean they are great teams. Just like the GB loss last year didn't mean that Seattle was the better team.

ctrcat

Reaction score
mikeak":1l72vzkx said:
Back when Miami won the championship I made the point that an easy schedule allows you to have fewer injuries in a season. Carolina is benefitting from the same. Our 2-4 team were up significantly against them and the Bengals. The fact that they won doesn't mean they are great teams. Just like the GB loss last year didn't mean that Seattle was the better team.

Among those that missed games...Kuechly was injured in the first half against the Jaguars as was promising rookie RT Daryl Williams, Cotchery was injured against the Texans, Charles Johnson was injured against the Saints, Allen and AJ Klein against the Bucs. Not to mention Lotulelei in camp and Benjamin in non-contact. Williams, Johnson, Allen, Klein, and Benjamin are still out. Another promising DE (a starter!) in Frank Alexander suffered a season ending injury a preseason game against the Dolphins and was cut as a result. That statement has no basis in reality as it relates to the Panthers.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
As a rival I pretty much can say the Panthers are quite legit, Gettleman is a damn smart GM for their ball club. This is what years of consistent drafting does.

mikeak

Reaction score
ctrcat":3dpux17p said:
mikeak":3dpux17p said:

Among those that missed games...Kuechly was injured in the first half against the Jaguars as was promising rookie RT Daryl Williams, Cotchery was injured against the Texans, Charles Johnson was injured against the Saints, Allen and AJ Klein against the Bucs. Not to mention Lotulelei in camp and Benjamin in non-contact. Williams, Johnson, Allen, Klein, and Benjamin are still out. Another promising DE (a starter!) in Frank Alexander suffered a season ending injury a preseason game against the Dolphins and was cut as a result. That statement has no basis in reality as it relates to the Panthers.

Oh no you played the Bucs, Jags and Texans with injuries and a Saints team that everyone beat up.
The toughest team you faced had you by 20-7

You have won your games and we have not that is all that matters. With that said don't bellieve the schedule isn't helping and despite your injuries it could be much worse if you faced tougher teams

PackerNation

Reaction score
Panthers vs. Packers, looking forward to this match up.

I had this as a win on our schedule when it came out, but I am not so sure. I like the matchup but I also know your team can be very dangerous. Last year we won convincingly, I doubt it will be so one sided this time.

ctrcat

Reaction score
PackerNation":36o3yufd said:
Panthers vs. Packers, looking forward to this match up.

I had this as a win on our schedule when it came out, but I am not so sure. I like the matchup but I also know your team can be very dangerous. Last year we won convincingly, I doubt it will be so one sided this time.

Thanks for the kind words. In addition to the venue change, Josh Norman (who was inactive last year) being available would be the biggest difference. No Nelson or Benjamin is a wash. Other lesser known differences even to the average (non-Panther) hardcore football fan would be in the secondary and on the OL, replacing names such as White, Godfrey, Cason, and Decoud with Norman, Benwikere, Tillman, and Coleman, as well as names like Bell, Silatolu, Scott, and Chandler with Oher, Remmers, Turner, and Norwell. These are not insignificant differences, but are they enough to overtake the Pack? Not sure but can't get off to a horrific start like last year's game. Best of luck.

Latest posts