Thursday Night Football 2022

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Is Thursday Night Football going to be exclusively on Amazon or will the NFL Network also be broadcasting it? I have seen internet sites that say that it is exclusive on Amazon but other sites say it will also be on NFL Network. So not sure.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The first TNF game, the season opener, will be on NBC. The three Thanksgiving Day games will be on the three traditional networks as usual. The other 15 TNF games will be carried exclusively on Amazon Prime with one exception. In the markets of the two participating teams, the games will be aired over the air on a local network station.

The league's new rights agreements, worth $113 billion over the 11 seasons of the new deals that begin in 2023, include a streaming service receiving an exclusive full season package for the first time when Amazon Prime Video will be the home of 15 “Thursday Night Football” games.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know what the viewing numbers are with Prime. Unlike the Nielsen system with is educated guess, Amazon knows exactly how many people view their content and for how long.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know what the viewing numbers are with Prime. Unlike the Nielsen system with is educated guess, Amazon knows exactly how many people view their content and for how long.
The internet streaming market, although it's not really a niche market, is a little different than the standard audience. For example, I have an 83 year old friend that failed to step through the time portal on Y2K and never entered the 21st century, and he's not going to be able to watch the games as he does not intend to subscribe to a streaming service or get a smart TV/Fire Stick, etc that would enable him to watch the games. I suspect that there's a number of people that are in a similar situation. It wouldn't be relevant information, sort of apples to oranges vs. a Nielson rating.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The internet streaming market, although it's not really a niche market, is a little different than the standard audience. For example, I have an 83 year old friend that failed to step through the time portal on Y2K and never entered the 21st century, and he's not going to be able to watch the games as he does not intend to subscribe to a streaming service or get a smart TV/Fire Stick, etc that would enable him to watch the games. I suspect that there's a number of people that are in a similar situation. It wouldn't be relevant information, sort of apples to oranges vs. a Nielson rating.
It is relevant information for everyone. There are plenty of 30 and 40 something's that also don't have Prime. It is good to know the home market will not be affected. It is still pretty crappy for everyone else.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It is relevant information for everyone. There are plenty of 30 and 40 something's that also don't have Prime. It is good to know the home market will not be affected. It is still pretty crappy for everyone else.
I realize that there's a lot of Millennials that don't have Amazon Prime. But it's been my experience that there is a direct relationship between the embracing of new technology and a person's age.

I don't necessarily think that it 'sucks' for everyone else. I see very little difference between this initiative and the league's decision to let ESPN televise MNF, which at the time, took a lot of viewers out of the equation as not everyone had access to ESPN. They'll just have to do what people did then. Either get ESPN/Amazon Prime, find a friend or neighbor that has it, or go to the neighborhood bar to watch the game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I realize that there's a lot of Millennials that don't have Amazon Prime. But it's been my experience that there is a direct relationship between the embracing of new technology and a person's age.

I don't necessarily think that it 'sucks' for everyone else. I see very little difference between this initiative and the league's decision to let ESPN televise MNF, which at the time, took a lot of viewers out of the equation as not everyone had access to ESPN. They'll just have to do what people did then. Either get ESPN/Amazon Prime, find a friend or neighbor that has it, or go to the neighborhood bar to watch the game.
Those are also good points. As someone who has lived in a lot of places out side of the Seattle market I was always able to find a way to watch Seahawks football. Now living in Seattle I have not had to think about it as much.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Those are also good points. As someone who has lived in a lot of places out side of the Seattle market I was always able to find a way to watch Seahawks football. Now living in Seattle I have not had to think about it as much.
Yeah, I have friends that are Seahawk fans that live outside of our market and they'll buy Direct TV's Sunday Ticket as it's the only way they can guarantee being able to watch all Hawk games live. But it doesn't appear if Sunday Ticket will have the TNF games as it does say that Amazon Prime will be the "exclusive provider."

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Anyone know if Amazon will catalog the games for replay?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well theres a fairly well known way to get all nfl games for free. Used to be part of Reddit. Pretty mainstream. In consideration of our new owner, won’t divulge it here but it’s um pretty easy.

Im irritated that I ended up paying more for nfl network.Now SO is into all these other channels that came with that package so I will have to keep them.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Well theres a fairly well known way to get all nfl games for free. Used to be part of Reddit. Pretty mainstream. In consideration of our new owner, won’t divulge it here but it’s um pretty easy.

Im irritated that I ended up paying more for nfl network.Now SO is into all these other channels that came with that package so I will have to keep them.

JFC.

There is a very simple way to get any game you want to watch. It is called streaming. It is easy, it is awesome. and it is common.

NO ONE has to leave their house or go to a bar, you just simply watch the game at home on your TV. This has been going on for two or three years now. WHY do you think they are finally putting the TNF games on Amazon?

To monetize what everyone is already doing for free.

I have not paid to watch a Rams game at home out of market in over 3 years. On my TV. I have been WISHING MY HEART OUT THAT AMAZON PRIME HAD THEM!

Suppose I should mention that yes, I support monetized versions of letting people have access to games and it is my belief that should be the NORM. It is just WRONG to punish people who live out of market for not being able to see the team they want to watch.

Go Amazon!!

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score

I asked Amazon this question specifically, along with if I'd be able to start the game from the beginning during a live performance and I was told that there won't be any way to watch it once it starts other than live. They also will disable the rewind, fast forward and start from beginning features that you can use for other shows. They did say they are continually working to get more features and that they can't guarantee any will be available this season, but that that may change.

With that said, I would be shocked if the NFL Network doesn't replay that game on their network each week. So, if you want to watch a replay of the game and you have access to the NFL Network you should be able to record it to watch that way.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I asked Amazon this question specifically, along with if I'd be able to start the game from the beginning during a live performance and I was told that there won't be any way to watch it once it starts other than live. They also will disable the rewind, fast forward and start from beginning features that you can use for other shows. They did say they are continually working to get more features and that they can't guarantee any will be available this season, but that that may change.

With that said, I would be shocked if the NFL Network doesn't replay that game on their network each week. So, if you want to watch a replay of the game and you have access to the NFL Network you should be able to record it to watch that way.
So on one hand a move forward to streaming, but on the other hand losing the on-demand / pause aspect.

Glad it’s on in-market TV too so I can DVR.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that NFL Network will play reruns of the TNF games like they do every other regular season and playoff games. If I'm not mistaken, these contracts are for live broadcasts only, and that the league still owns the rights to re-broadcasts and other uses of the event. We've all heard the disclaimer so often that we could repeat it by memory: Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent is prohibited."

kidhawk

Reaction score
So on one hand a move forward to streaming, but on the other hand losing the on-demand / pause aspect.

Glad it’s on in-market TV too so I can DVR.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I only spoke with a rep online from Amazon and I have no idea how much knowledge they actually have, but it seemed to me that they were saying they wanted to have more features, but they aren't allowed in their contract with the NFL at this moment and that may change, but they cautioned against me counting on it and wouldn't guarantee that. This is why I came to the conclusion that the NFL network likely plans to rebroadcast the game delayed on their network. By blocking the ability to record the games or for Amazon to catalog them, it gives people more incentive to watch the replay on their network. This is just my assumption, but it seems reasonable to assume this.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt, because I only spoke with a rep online from Amazon and I have no idea how much knowledge they actually have, but it seemed to me that they were saying they wanted to have more features, but they aren't allowed in their contract with the NFL at this moment and that may change, but they cautioned against me counting on it and wouldn't guarantee that. This is why I came to the conclusion that the NFL network likely plans to rebroadcast the game delayed on their network. By blocking the ability to record the games or for Amazon to catalog them, it gives people more incentive to watch the replay on their network. This is just my assumption, but it seems reasonable to assume this.
That's more than an assumption, it's a very likely possibility, especially given how there's going to be a lot of people that won't buy Amazon Prime just to watch TNF. They'll watch it later on NFL Network.

kidhawk

Reaction score
That's more than an assumption, it's a very likely possibility, especially given how there's going to be a lot of people that won't buy Amazon Prime just to watch TNF. They'll watch it later on NFL Network.

I agree on the likelihood, I just wanted to be clear that it’s not a fact that I’m passing on and only my opinion on the matter.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Omg. Seriously?

you all are beyond even the concept of STUPID.

we NEED games to be legally streamed.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Face it, dumbasses.

tv is NOW streaming.

that is all that matters. Old stuff is dead and cannot be monetized.

like the Rams, things move forward.

RiverDog

Reaction score
On a related topic, if you are getting Direct TV's Sunday Ticket, get ready for some changes. Direct TV's contract expires after this season, and the favorite to win the new contract to begin in 2023 is Apple:

This could be a positive change as it might make it cheaper for more people to get Sunday Ticket as you won't have to install and pay for Direct TV's premium satellite service.