Thoughts on the game from a niner fan

94Smith

Reaction score
First of all. Congratulations! I know how much the fans of the Seahawks wanted this win, and you got it. Also congrats on being alone at the top of the NFC west.

Thoughts:
1) Geno and the offense us going to be fine. The offensive line did great, your tackles you drafted are going to be a real asset to the team for years to come. The line did well in the preseason as well

2) Geno under pressure. Wow! Stepping up in the pocket with guys on his side and hitting those few first 3rd downs in the first half. Very impressive. Nice to see the guy get a second chance. Could be the real "comeback" story of the NFL this year. Good on Pete and the offensive staff for seeing he could do it and not moving away from the guy that had the experience with the team.

3) Rashad Penny is a good back. Did they run the rookie? Hopefully Penny stays healthy for you guys this year

4) For the most part Cross held up well against Chubb. I would not recommend putting him one on one vs Bosa though week 2.

5) Coming out in the shotgun with spread receivers, very surprised! Excellent game plan by the coaching staff.

6) These early games are always so hard to figure out. Denvers defense is supposed to be good, but did not look great. (1 turnover, 1 punt by Seattle) Not much of a pass rush. Don't know what the pressures total was. Denvers DVOA pass defense last year was 21 , so likely overhyped.

7) Good job by Seattles special teams. That unit is always strong/ well coached.

8) Bend don't break defense. Yikes! The young guys better step up and learn to tackle / stop the run. Expect 30 plus runs from SF next week unless the score gets out of hand. Seattle does not have a pass rush and can not generate pressure without blitzing. Losing Jamal Adams and his blitz ability is going to be a major loss this year. (tough luck there) Maybe if Geno has a good year pass rush will be the priority in the draft?

9) Great game by Cody Barton!

10) Secondary held up decent overall. Only the couple big plays to Jeudy I believe? The big plays were more a pass rush issue.

11) The fans brought the noise! 2 delay of games and one false start in the red zone killed them.

12) What the heck is Denver doing running from the shot gun on the 4th and goal plays. Expect Lance under center and QB sneaks on any 4th and 1 call in SF

13) What ever happened to taking the points in the NFL? Seems like analytics has moved everything to going for it on 4th and short. I can think of the SF/Arizona game last year where Shanahan went for it on 2 fourth downs rather than take the FG that cost us the game.

14) Mind boggling that Denver tries the long FG instead of allowing Russ to try to pick up the first down. Especially with 3 timeouts and the third down efficiency they were having

15) Brutal ill timed penalties by Denver that game. Bad discipline, crowd noise and being rusty. Was this the first game in forever that the refs did an excellent job ?(except that 3rd down pick up by Denver? The measurement seemed short?) Nothing was overturned by replay. Great job by the refs. SF had 100 yards of penalties in the game vs Bears and had a similar outcome. Penalties are an overlooked hidden yardage in the NFL

16) Russ' loss of speed and mobility has moved him from the elite QB category to the good/great category. But, I am still glad he is the AFC as the 49ers could never beat him and it always seemed that he pulled the win out. I think this was the best move for the Seahawks to trade him and still get value. Everything had stagnated on both sides

Should be a good game next week. People were overhyping the niners right now with the inexperience at QB and underhyping the Seahawks because of what Geno had done years ago. Expect the line to move drastically over the coming days. This is going to be a close game.

VegasSeaHawk

Reaction score
I agree with all your points except the first one. I need to see more than one “emotional” game to be sold on Geno. If he looks good after meeting you next week, maybe I’ll come around.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind (honest) assesment. I still hate San Fransisco but dont hate you.
Seattle is young and I see a high ceiling if they can come together . Seattle vs San Fransisco
is always brutal and emotional. Good luck ( kind of) .

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yeah, Walker wasn't quite back from the hernia surgery yet. Sounds like his debut will be this Sunday.

The D is young and was overpursuing all over the place. They got a little better about that in the second half, but it's something they need to clean up or they'll continue to get gashed in the run game.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yeah, Walker wasn't quite back from the hernia surgery yet. Sounds like his debut will be this Sunday.

The D is young and was overpursuing all over the place. They got a little better about that in the second half, but it's something they need to clean up or they'll continue to get gashed in the run game.
Yep, I remember a young defense (legion) having very similar issues and Mr Carroll dealt with it.
It'll turn out fine....I have faith.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Geno is no long term solution but congratulations on the win. Not sure it warranted a short novel but for what it’s worth the 49ers simply overmatched us as a veteran laden roster and outplayed us from the first snap and exploited our youth. Personally don’t believe in tanking. And next week will be the only time in history I root for the 69ers. Peace ✌️

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Oh, I rooted for the 49ers in the playoffs and Super Bowls in the '80s and especially after the '89 season, when they played The Teeth and the loathed Broncos. I remember one moment during the game when the 49ers defense sacked The Teeth. I called my dad, and when he answered, I just shouted "squashed like a bug!" and hung up. Dad found that pretty funny and told me so when we talked after the game. He also disliked The Teeth.
The Seahawks were in the AFC West back then. I don't think I've rooted for the 49ers since the Seahawks moved (back) to the NFC West.
In a way, I'll be going back to my youth in rooting for the 49ers over the still-loathed Broncos this coming weekend.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I never have a problem rooting on a rival team IF it somehow benefits the Seahawks. Go 9ers!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Give us Russ head on a silver platter please!Go Niners.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
For the first time, I'll be rooting for the Niners against Russ. Give em hell, and live in their backfield.