Thoughts on pairing Carter and Kancey?

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure if we will go 3-4, 4-3, 3-4 hybrid, bear front etc., In this draft, there's good chance that we can get either Will Anderson Jr. or Jalen Carter at #5. At #20, let's say Calijah Kancey is available, and at #37 Mazi Smith. Is it practical or desirable to have Carter/Kancey/Mazi on the field together? or Anderson/Kancy/Mazi?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Is it practical or desirable to have Carter/Kancey/Mazi on the field together? or Anderson/Kancy/Mazi?
unfortunately i think carter is off the board for PC/JS. they've been saying character is as important as talent. but yeah, if we can get anderson at #5, that's a great start. anderson/kancy/mazi would be a nightmare for opposition.

this is the strongest DT/DE/EDGE class i ever remember seeing, and i hope we can come away with a few of the following:

anderson jr.
carter :cry:
tyree wilson
kancey
bresee
will mcdonald iv
nolan smith
ade ade
keanu benton
lukas van ness
mazi smith
myles murphy
tuipulotu
gervon dexter
derek hall
keon white
kj henry
bj olujari
ika
ojomo

and i think people are worrying to much about 3-4/4-3 schematic fits. seahawks move fronts around and try to create mismatches. guys like kancey and tyree wilson, albeit not exact 3-4 fits, would see the field. just too good

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
and i think people are worrying to much about 3-4/4-3 schematic fits. seahawks move fronts around and try to create mismatches. guys like kancey and tyree wilson, albeit not exact 3-4 fits, would see the field. just too good

True but what you can end up with is situational players with a limited role instead of every down players, which by itself isn't a bad thing for the right guy, just not ideal for a 1st round pick.

I'm coming around to the idea of Tyree Wilson as a stand up edge for us but still not sure on where Kancey fits.

Great list of players, btw. I'm super excited about the edge/dt/nt/olb group. A lot of tweener types but also some great fits and a lot of talent

getnasty

Reaction score
My thoughts are it would be tough walking around with a boner all day but I'm for it. If they then took Mazi Smith in the second i'd be fine with that too.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mazi is a nose tackle, his role is clear. In case of 3-4, can both Carter and Kancey play next to Mazi? How would a Carter-Mazi-Kancey DL perform? In 4-3, we have 3 guys rotating for the two tackle spots?

According to Football Outsiders, may be it would be great to have Carter-Mazi-Kancey DL if we go 3-4
The defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment have jobs similar to that of the nose tackle: they want to take up space, fill gaps, and occupy blockers. In a 4-3 system, linemen are supposed to occupy blockers, but they are also expected to free themselves to make tackles and sacks.

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
Mazi is a nose tackle, his role is clear. In case of 3-4, can both Carter and Kancey play next to Mazi? How would a Carter-Mazi-Kancey DL perform? In 4-3, we have 3 guys rotating for the two tackle spots?
If Carter and Kancey can't play in the outside of the nose and were running a 3-4 then i'm not sure there even an option to begin with. I like that Carter can play nose and spell Smith if needed.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If Carter and Kancey can't play in the outside of the nose and were running a 3-4 then i'm not sure there even an option to begin with. I like that Carter can play nose and spell Smith if needed.
Some commentator said Carter could play DE, but sounded weird to draft a prima dona DT just to play him as DE? But then 3-4 DEs are bigger more like DT?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
you can view 3-4 DEs similarly 4-3 DT i guess. but usually you want more length/quickness at 3-4 DE. prototypical 3-4 DE size/proportion is probably 6-5 295lbs with 34" arms. with carter's length/quickness and overall ability you could still put him at 3-4 DE no problem.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
you can view 3-4 DEs similarly 4-3 DT i guess. but usually you want more length/quickness at 3-4 DE. prototypical 3-4 DE size/proportion is probably 6-5 295lbs with 34" arms. with carter's length/quickness and overall ability you could still put him at 3-4 DE no problem.
Kancey would be challenging, but he is an unique outlier, isn't he?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Kancey would be challenging, but he is an unique outlier, isn't he?
they wouldn't draft kancey without having a plan to use him (same thing can be said w/ tyree wilson who people are saying isn't a fit). i'd be just as curious as you to see how they would implement him into their current scheme, or maybe they adapt the scheme to fit him in. i just don't think he falls to #20. he has 10+ sack potential.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't see why what a guy played in college is a lock for that being the only thing he can do. Young guys expand their horizons constantly. If someone is a one trick pony I look elsewhere for a choice. But in the case of Kancey I am convinced he can be more versatile than most seem to be expecting is possible. I would really like to see him on our roster.

Latest posts