This is what happens with Balance

LTH

Reaction score
This is what happens with balance on O...they need that run game...

This is the start of the defensive turn around...

The coaching staff should be commended on the job they did coaching up Flowers and Reed..

LTH

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
LTH":32t8w4jm said:

The coaching staff should be commended on the job they did coaching up Flowers and Reed..

LTH

Wasn't just the run game, which was phenomenal to see. Lots of shorter designed plays, screens (ok, 3 in a row might've been a bit much eh?), blitz beating quick TE pass, etc.

100% sure they get their game plan from these forums! Good job virtual 12's!

W

Welshers

LTH":3pdd6681 said:

LTH
You called it this week, LTH! I saw you saying we needed to run more and add some balance. We sure did! Nice call!

Having Hyde back really helped.

sutz

Reaction score
Definitely agree on the balanced attack. When both the run and the pass are working, good things happen.

John63

Reaction score
It was not just balance it was the game plan, check downs, quick passing, moving the pocket, not was snapping with 5 or less seconds, Wilson running early. The last 4 games seemed like a return to same old. Now it is back.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Diggs' unsportsman like conduct
Bobby's horse collar
Phantom holding on Lewis (DKs 41 yards reception)
Non-called roughing the passer against Wilson

there's another bad call so somebody fill in the blank....lol

anyway...all this happened and we still won the game. If either of those 4 doesn't happen this game is a 2 TD lead....

balakoth

Reaction score
No offense but it annoys me when a veteran KNOWS they are horse collaring and have 3 other defenders in front of them and cannot let go.... that was 6 yards at most not 15

John63

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1c2qe2ru said:
Bobby's horse collar

anyway...all this happened and we still won the game. If either of those 4 doesn't happen this game is a 2 TD lead....

And at least 1 drop td by dk or it is 2 td anyway

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
LTH":24pei8s9 said:

LTH

Agree.

Balanced Game = Happy Me

hoxrox

Reaction score
A buck sixty five on the ground. Was exactly what the doctor ordered. Not only to counter a heavy blitzing team, but also to keep the defense fresh and Murray off the field. They played complementary football.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Balanced attack, control the clock, convert the opportunities to score...no waste. Great game.

Torc

Reaction score
Stat of the game for me (apart from the score of course :) ) - time of possession 35:07. Their last drive, up by four 4 points, took almost 7 minutes off the clock. Two minute scoring drives are a blast to watch, but I was happier with a FG at the end of 7 minutes than I would have been with a quick strike TD.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Pretty sure contrary to some opinion, i saw Russ read blitz, change the play and get the ball out immediately to the tight end.
His final numbers don't look as flashy as early in the year, but 2 DK drops and a holding call left 2 passing TDs and about a 100yds on the field.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I shrugged off a lot of the obsession over the offense, particularly the passing game, from last year through the beginning of the season.

A lot of people were just fixated on this "Let Russ Cook" idea where if you just chuck the ball around like crazy the team was going to be way better off.

The defense is similar to last year's in how good they are, but all the extra quick offensive scoring didn't help that much. On good days you'll win shootouts, on bad days Wilson will turn the ball over and losses come, particularly against good defenses.

While there were things from last year's offense that needed improvement, they could have won a a SB with that offense and a decent defense. But the defense was pretty bad most of the year so the dragging the other team down into a grindfest kept the scoring down. But the same problems persisted at the end of the game as when a bunch of points were scored early.

Last night they managed to run the ball. That last drive before the ball was given back was only 37 yards, but it ate up nearly half the 4th quarter and left around 2:00 left instead of giving the Cardinals a bunch of late possessions to just chuck it all over the place and score TDs then have Wilson have to respond.

The defense still didn't lock the points down (really more about penalties) but they were playing pretty well, the best game of the year and the only other time this year I can remember them playing this well was the first half of the SF game. If they can continue and build off that this team will be in good shape going into the playoffs. But the 30 PPG version allowed of this "Let Russ Cook" and "you can score as many points as you want, opponent" defense isn't going to get them much farther (if any) than last year if that's what we consistently see.

If they can get an effective run game when needed and the defense on average plays like yesterday this team has a good shot to win any game consistently. The version of this team from earlier this year is just a shootout mess that depends on magic by Wilson and two receivers at the last second.

hawk45

Reaction score
Bmore covered it quite nicely.

I marveled at some of the bombs in the shootout games but honestly I wasn’t excited so much as dreadful, knowing we’d live or die on one stop and one bomb at the end, and knowing we were the Falcons/Saints - teams that garner offensive accolades and get smoked in the divisional round by teams with NFL defenses.

I was more excited in the first quarter if this game than I had been all season.

When I saw flowers in tighter coverage I raised an eyebrow. When he made plays in that coverage my heart started speeding up.

When I saw Dunlap get home I pumped my fist and nodded sagely. When I saw collier get home I laughed out loud and grinned and thought hey we might have something.

KJ breaking down and smothering a Murray run.

Finally, when Hyde busted through a good hole for 10 or 15 with a third string center out there I said to myself hey this is fun again. The team Im watching has every bit the shot at glory this year as any other team.

It was one game. But that’s one game more of solid, non-embarrassing defense and run right at you offense than we’ve seen all season. Have to start with that.

Knowing Pete, this is how he wants to play. So I have hope we’ll see more of it. And Russ may have enjoyed cooking but he didn’t enjoy his last few outings of throwing the ball to the other team, so I think he may just say to himself yeah, okay, this is better. I can still get my 300 and 3 TDS and limit risk and WIN

John63

Reaction score
hawk45":gey1ecym said:
Bmore covered it quite nicely.

I marveled at some of the bombs in the shootout games but honestly I wasn’t excited so much as dreadful, knowing we’d live or die on one stop and one bomb at the end, and knowing we were the Falcons/Saints - teams that garner offensive accolades and get smoked in the divisional round by teams with NFL defenses.

I was more excited in the first quarter if this game than I had been all season.

When I saw flowers in tighter coverage I raised an eyebrow. When he made plays in that coverage my heart started speeding up.

When I saw Dunlap get home I pumped my fist and nodded sagely. When I saw collier get home I laughed out loud and grinned and thought hey we might have something.

KJ breaking down and smothering a Murray run.

Finally, when Hyde busted through a good hole for 10 or 15 with a third string center out there I said to myself hey this is fun again. The team Im watching has every bit the shot at glory this year as any other team.

It was one game. But that’s one game more of solid, non-embarrassing defense and run right at you offense than we’ve seen all season. Have to start with that.

Knowing Pete, this is how he wants to play. So I have hope we’ll see more of it. And Russ may have enjoyed cooking but he didn’t enjoy his last few outings of throwing the ball to the other team, so I think he may just say to himself yeah, okay, this is better. I can still get my 300 and 3 TDS and limit risk and WIN

Yeah don't agree what we saw was a return to the game plan of the first 5 games. IF DK does not drop 2 passes Wilson has close to if not over 300 yards and 3-4 tds. We saw screens, quick passing, QB running early, moving the pocket and tempo changing, snap changing offense like the first 5 games. Why they got away from it who knows, hopefully they stick with it now.

tersal

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2wmzapic said:
Bobby's horse collar

Lack of PI call in first half long pass to Hyde pass interference against Cardinals was obvious.

tersal

Reaction score
LTH":1l3sj5t5 said:

LTH
Agreed teams were blitzing the Hawks like crazy pass protection has never been a strength for the hawks the last eight or nine years. The best way to slow down a pass rush is to run the ball effectively. Let Russ cook was fun now it is time to get back to balance on offense.

John63

Reaction score
tersal":2kvtjjsc said:
LTH":2kvtjjsc said:

LTH
Agreed teams were blitzing the Hawks like crazy pass protection has never been a strength for the hawks the last eight or nine years. The best way to slow down a pass rush is to run the ball effectively. Let Russ cook was fun now it is time to get back to balance on offense.

You still dont get it. It was not just the Rbs injuries it wa s a change the game scheme..

Last night

Quick passing
moving the pocket
Wilson running early
screens
changing tempo
changing when they snap it

The prior 4 games none of those thighs were happening.

As to let Russ Cook you do realize if not for 2 Dk drops Wilson has about 300 yards and 4 tds that is cooking, and hate to tell you that will not change, and FYI without letting Rush Cook we do not win those 5 games. Also, FYI Wilson is avg 35 pass attempts per game, last year it was 32 not much of a difference is it now.

even this last game that you are saying is a reason for balance. Not really balanced, 31 rush attempts, but 10 were by Wilson and not designed runs. SO that means 21 actual called run plays and 38 actual called pass plays. not totally balanced. It is not just about balance it is about doing enough that they have to respect the run game, this slows them up enough to help our Oline pass block.