The vast disparity of stats after rule changes in the NFL

Tokadub

Reaction score
I would personally blame the excessive rule changes why franchises are throwing countless millions at average QB's due to statistical abnormalities. That's why you get QB's like Dak Prescott who is being paid I think over $40,000,000 this year?

The fact is that the league has changed. You can't hold the current best QBs to the same standard of the past basically entire NFL history when it comes to statistics.

Even Russell Wilson played in a "harder era" when it comes to stats.

It seems to me that every 10 or so years you could add +10 to passer rating to the best QB's of that era.

That's why I think Dak is overrated, he's not over 100 which is like barely above average in 2022.

In 2012 what Wilson did averaging over 100 Passer Rating for his career was actually impressive.

Nowadays you can't even land on a QB with any weight or it's called "roughing the passer".

They changed the entire rules of how you can play the game defensively in any physical manner after the Seahawks' 'Legion of Boom' demolished Peyton Manning's historic Offense...

Nowadays you have guys like Dak Prescott, or even Kyler Murray, or Patrick Mahomes... THEY ALL HAVE INFLATED STATS DUE TO THE RULE CHANGES...

Dan Marino had a Passer Rating of 86.4 but I would argue he is WAY better than Prescott and probably even Mahomes. Aaron Rodgers vs Marino would be interesting but the difference in the time they played is nearly 20 points passer rating on average...

Just look at this list:

https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/

Whoever is keeping this list up to date is totally off their rocker, but you can still see the general trend of how stats have been inflated over the years.

Joe Namath had a passer rating of 65.45 but he won 3 Super Bowls and had 3 Super Bowl MVPs...

So nowadays you have guys like Prescott, Murray, you name it use your imagination there's a ton of them... that are getting paid historic numbers based on unhistorical results.

The NFL is a mess right now for QB performance after all the rule changes. Even defensive performance for the Legion of Boom is no longer possible. Even receivers like Largent... totally different game now.

Basically everyone who played in the past is way more impressive statistically imo.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ja1kkn1 said:
I would personally blame the excessive rule changes why franchises are throwing countless millions at average QB's due to statistical abnormalities. That's why you get QB's like Dak Prescott who is being paid I think over $40,000,000 this year?

The fact is that the league has changed. You can't hold the current best QBs to the same standard of the past basically entire NFL history when it comes to statistics.

It seems to me that every 10 or so years you could add +10 to passer rating to the best QB's of that era.

That's why I think Dak is overrated, he's not over 100 which is like barely above average in 2022.

In 2012 what Wilson did averaging over 100 Passer Rating for his career was actually impressive.

Nowadays you can't even land on a QB with any weight or it's called "roughing the passer".

They changed the entire rules of how you can play the game defensively in any physical manner after the Seahawks' 'Legion of Boom' demolished Peyton Manning's historic Offense...

Nowadays you have guys like Dak Prescott, or even Kyler Murray, or Patrick Mahomes... THEY ALL HAVE INFLATED STATS DUE TO THE RULE CHANGES...

Dan Marino had a Passer Rating of 86.4 but I would argue he is WAY better than Prescott and probably even Mahomes. Aaron Rodgers vs Marino would be interesting but the difference in the time they played is nearly 20 points passer rating on average...

Just look at this list:

Whoever is keeping this list up to date is totally off their rocker, but you can still see the general trend of how stats have been inflated over the years.

Joe Namath had a passer rating of 65.45 but he won 3 Super Bowls and had 3 Super Bowl MVPs...

So nowadays you have guys like Prescott, Murray, you name it use your imagination there's a ton of them... that are getting paid historic numbers based on unhistorical results.

The NFL is a mess right now for QB performance after all the rule changes. Even defensive performance for the Legion of Boom is no longer possible. Even receivers like Largent... totally different game now.

Basically everyone who played in the past is way more impressive statistically imo.

Joe Namath won 1 Super Bowl, you better get your stuff correct if you are going to try to convince people of anything.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pointed this out earlier at the start of the year.

QBs are the face of the franchise and so the NFL has engineered the perfect system.

1 - Playoff teams will consist of top QBs. Better for marketing and fan recognition.

2 - Losing teams can immediately become winning teams, not through years of rebuilding the roster, but by drafting 1 star QB. This means fans of bottom feeder teams have a reason to stay vested - one great draft pick literally turns everything around
(Example: Bengals. The offensive line still isn't great. They have a middling to poor run game. Not that great a defense. But a star QB and a star WR immediately changes their fortune and they are a playoff team.)

3 - The expense of star QBs creates holes in teams elsewhere. This means teams with new 'star' QBs have an advantage - adding 1-2 QBs to list of 'star' QBs in the playoffs for the NFL marketing machine. It also prevents the same few teams from dominating the SB for years because of their elite QB.
(A SB with the same 2 teams years in a row would get old quickly, this prevents that )

There is no way this was an accident. This was perfectly planned to do what is intended - keep the playoffs loaded with fresh teams, star QBs, and create new star QBs almost yearly. At the same time it is has to prevent SBs with the same 2 teams year after year.

And encourage the fans of the teams losing the most, to see themselves as 1 QB away from becoming a playoff regular.

It does mean, however, that if you don't have a star QB - you don't have a chance. Best case is what SF is doing now, and that requires on of the best front 7 in the game, one of the most innovative offensive minds, and an innovative run game. Even then, SF has no chance at a SB ring.

And SF is a best case. There is no succeeding without a top 10 QB.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokadub":3ltni4fp said:
Joe Namath had a passer rating of 65.45 but he won 3 Super Bowls and had 3 Super Bowl MVPs..

F sake, dude? Are you for real or just punkin' us?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Aros":3jxwhpx9 said:
Tokadub":3jxwhpx9 said:
Joe Namath had a passer rating of 65.45 but he won 3 Super Bowls and had 3 Super Bowl MVPs..

F sake, dude? Are you for real or just punkin' us?
No, he just had an under-or-over-medicated moment. No big deal. Let's cut him some slack here.
Just translate the "Joe Namath" brain fart to "Terry Bradshaw" and "4 Super Bowls" and "Career Passer Rating 70.9" and carry on discussion from there.
BTW, the only QB with 3 SB wins (not 2 or 4) is Troy Aikman, but his career rating is about 81.6 IIRC.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Tokadub":s52wtf6z said:

Just look at this list:

Namath did not win 3 Super Bowls, he had his days and a good game that day, but he wasn't that good by the time he one #1. He had very bad knees, like a 65 year old man.

kf3339

Reaction score
Forget about the Joe Namath silliness, and just focus on the rest of his statement. The fact is the game has changed and made QB's stats meaningless compared to those stars of years past. You can't even compare the stats with any degree of objectivity at all.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
kf3339":1eq5bnxu said:
Forget about the Joe Namath silliness, and just focus on the rest of his statement. The fact is the game has changed and made QB's stats meaningless compared to those stars of years past. You can't even compare the stats with any degree of objectivity at all.
You're right, but who cares.

Yes, the game has changed but stats are meaningless until the HoF discussions.