The Tip

Do you want a statue of The Tip outside the stadium?

• Absolutely. It is our most iconic play

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • No, it was not worthy of a statue

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If you wanted staturs to define the true legacy of that team, Kam doing the hammer would be iconic, as would Beast Quake.

If you wanted to pick a play that defined that Super Bowl era of Seahawks, I can think of no more iconic play than "The Tip." It has all the elements of our biggest rivalry, the trip to our first Lombardi, and a player who largely defined the defense at the time, in the eyes of the casual fan and the larger NFL fan base.

There isn't an iconic play in the next game. Those of us who were passionate about the Seahawks will remember Kam blowing up Thomas, Harvin's KO return that iced the game, or maybe Smith's pick 6. But, for most fans, I expect the defining play that comes to mind on XLVIII, is the first snap sailing past Manning's head for the safety. It encapsulates that game perfectly. And no way does that statue work.

So, yes. I'm in fan of the tip being made. It's an homage to a defense that gave us our Lombardi. Sherman representing our LOB, which was the focal point of our rivalry with the Niners. Plus it's kind of a middle finger to thr legacy of one Russell Wilson. I kind of like it.

It would also be great to have a statue of Crabtree slapping Sherman in the face for being a bit of a Richard. LOL.

Mick063

Reaction score
A play that sent the team to the Super Bowl. That would rate as most iconic for me. I suppose it goes beyond just being a fan favorite and actually stands for something transcendental. Like a CHAMPIONSHIP.

With respect to leaving disgruntled, the team decided to move on from him. He signed with a team that would take him. If that upsets you, you might as well hate on Bobby Wagner and Dave Kreig and <insert a gazillion other names here>. Players that publicly declared that they wanted to finish their careers in Seattle at one point or another. It wasn't remotely close to the type of situation that the pudgy "Let's ride" movie star imposed. No media extortion was used while still under contract. No going into the opposing locker room and demanding "Come get me" like the volatile safety did. Watch Sherman's podcast. He speaks well of the Seahawks and Carroll. I don't detect a hint of animosity from the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION.

Last edited:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
If that play took place in the SB, yes.

I'd rather have Shawn immortalized somehow, he was THE force that drove the team. He set the tone and everyone fed off of it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It would be fun to come up with one for every decade of Seahawks football that actually gave a glimpse into that iteration of Seahawks football.
The 70’s could be left out because they only played 4 years of that decade.
The 80’s could be a Dave Krieg statue with one of his many hands too small fumbles.
The 90’s with a fan trying to stop a moving truck.
The 00’s with the Hasselebeck “we want the ball and we’re going to score” moment.
The teens would be the Tip.
The 20’s hasn’t had that moment yet.

Last edited:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
If that play took place in the SB, yes.

I'd rather have Shawn immortalized somehow, he was THE force that drove the team. He set the tone and everyone fed off of it.
I disagree. If we are going to go with a player that defined the team I would much rather see Kam doing the hammer or something to do with Lynch. Largent and Jones would also be good candidates, but they did it with not as much recognition. I never saw Alexander as being to the team what those two were. He could have been, but he was always in it much more for himself than the team.

NoGain

Reaction score
I've always preferred the atmosphere of an AFC/NFC championship game over the Super Bowl. It's actually played on a team's deserved home field. The Hawks beating the 49ers in the NFC championship game at the Clink was the high point for me as a Seahawks fan. For one, I felt the 49ers were the only team that could beat us. As crazy stat-wise offensively as that Bronco team was that year, I had little to no fear that we were going to lose that game. I grew up as a Bears fan as a kid, and I felt the same way about the Bears playing New England in the Super Bowl...no way we're going to lose.

Yeah, that game and that play that sealed the greatest Seahawk victory for me probably on top for me. And then Sherman's epic rant at game's end...LOLOLOL! Classic.

Beastquake was awesome though, and I'll always have a soft spot for him. Just love the guy and the player.

sutz

Reaction score
It would be fun to come up with one for every decade of Seahawks football that actually gave a glimpse into that iteration of Seahawks football.
The 70’s could be left out because they only played 4 years of that decade.
The 80’s could be a Dave Krieg statue with one of his many hands too small fumbles.
The 90’s with a fan trying to stop a moving truck.
The 00’s with the Hasselebeck “we want the ball and we’re going to score” moment.
The teens would be the Tip.
The 20’s hasn’t had that moment yet.
90's should be Tez eating a hot dog on the field. :LOL:

Torc

Reaction score
I disagree. If we are going to go with a player that defined the team I would much rather see Kam doing the hammer or something to do with Lynch. Largent and Jones would also be good candidates, but they did it with not as much recognition. I never saw Alexander as being to the team what those two were. He could have been, but he was always in it much more for himself than the team.
I think if you talked to anyone on those teams, including defensive players, they all fed off of Beastmode. Nothing represents both the offense and defense more than Marshawn trucking over and through opposing defenses. He set the tone for the entire team.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I clicked other because despite my screen name I don't think it was or most iconic okay but I do think it is worthy of a statue

JPatera76

Reaction score
Honestly a cool thing for seattle would be a "through the decades" or "historic" moments in seahawk history where you could have multiple statues with a plaque explaining when/were/date/what. Then you could have like Largents 1000th, Marshawn's Beast Quake, The Tip etc etc moments that all in one way or another shaped the seahawks and kept reminding the media we're still here.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Honestly a cool thing for seattle would be a "through the decades" or "historic" moments in seahawk history where you could have multiple statues with a plaque explaining when/were/date/what. Then you could have like Largents 1000th, Marshawn's Beast Quake, The Tip etc etc moments that all in one way or another shaped the seahawks and kept reminding the media we're still here.
Like a creepy, I mean cool hallway you can walk through at the stadium. Make the sets and statues out of felt ala the Muppets. Throw in some janky Country Bear animatronics and It'd be so creepy...I mean cool.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
After having watched this team since 1980, I can't really think of any moment that is anywhere close to The Tip as the most iconic. As a Bruins fan, the Bobby Orr statue is one of the coolest things I have seen. I have seen a few people over the years say that The Tip should be a statue outside of the stadium. What is the opinion of the members here? Should The Tip be immortalized outside of the stadium?
The tip... Or a statue of BamBam standing over Vernon Davis.

Or ... if you wanna go full LOB, Statues of laid out opponents (also featuring V. Davis) strewn about the ground... helmets on 'pikes'.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Beastquake is absolutely awesome and the best run in NFL history, but what part would you make a statue of? Him jumping into the endzone grabbing his junk? Him stiff arming Tracy Porter? Him breaking the four tackles as he goes through the line? You'd have to have six statues to convey that.
You show the ground beneath him splitting open with him stiff-arming a couple players, with a plaque saying 'BEAST QUAKE', yeah, I could definitely see that.