The REAL reason Red Bryant was cut...

GCrow

Reaction score
As a Longhorn fan, I just wish this was in the shack so I could tell you how I really feel about Aggy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Next some high school fan base will claim that they invented cheering and clapping of hands.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I saw it posted in one of the other threads here, but I think we should stop using "12th Man" and just stick with "Twelves". I am sure Paul Allen's lawyers could make an easy case out of that and I personally like "Twelves" more anyways.

duckypoo

Reaction score
Ugh, gotta love that someone thinks they own the origin of the idea that the fans should be called the (n+1)'th man [where n=count of players on field]. Or really, gotta love the employee and the trademark office who signed off. ITS A LOGICAL ASSOCIATION!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I also think they should probably be careful how far they try to push one of the richest men in the world on a silly legal matter.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Personally, I think the whole thing will become moot, possibly before a re-up on the licensing becomes necessary.

The whole reason there is a licensing agreement at all is because A&M's case for exclusive rights was very weak. I remember at the time, Aggies didn't want ANYONE else using the term "12th Man" for any reason. If they'd had a strong case, we wouldn't be using the term at all. But they didn't. I really believe the licensing agreement was, on our part, the quickest way of getting rid of a nuisance, and had we seriously fought it, we'd have won.

Toward the end of last offseason, I remember hearing something about the Broncos wanting to use the term. Whether it's the Broncos or someone else, I think someone is going to challenge A&M for the right to use the term (there is a LOT of money to be made with that marketing). And when they do, they're going to win. And after that, we can dispense with this licensing nonsense.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't blame them for having passion about something they feel is rightfully theirs and them seeing it gather recognition around the world with another team. I am sure the jealousy and disdain would be the same if the tables were reversed.

There have been examples of other NFL teams pumping up their 12th man game ceremonies, I think it was the Titans who raise a flag similar to what happens at the CLink. I saw posters here getting outraged and mocking those folks, feeling they lacked originality and that the true "12th Man" belonged here. Not a popular opinion but just want to point out that people react the same across the country when they feel their special niche is being violated.

Carry on.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If that is the case then they won't re-sign Michael Bennett, since he is an Aggie too. How about Luke Willson?

pmedic920

Reaction score
rainger":1uh38e36 said:
James in PA":1uh38e36 said:
This is like arguing over who started "the wave" at sporting events. So many variations out there. The Olympics? A hockey game? A college football game? But of course we all know it started at Seahawks home games in the old Kingdome.
;)
Actually it started at Husky stadium at Husky games then that guy who use to organize cheers across the stadium in the Kingdome picked it up and used it at the Dome.

Close......
....it did start at UofW
But it started one day when EMS defibrillated a lady, while she was laying on the aluminum bleachers. :)

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hawkfan68":12d6wgcn said:
If that is the case then they won't re-sign Michael Bennett, since he is an Aggie too. How about Luke Willson?

Yup Bennett is gone too. Luke Willson went to Rice though

Seafan

Reaction score
The real 12th Man is the fans. ATM's version is one walk on player for the kick team. Not the same and theirs is lame.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bitter":27fct38i said:
I saw it posted in one of the other threads here, but I think we should stop using "12th Man" and just stick with "Twelves". I am sure Paul Allen's lawyers could make an easy case out of that and I personally like "Twelves" more anyways.
Twelves should work if not trademarked. It may sound corny but changing to The Legion of Twelves could separate us from the middling existence that is the 12th man.
We have the potential to remake ourselves and leave other fans in the dust. I like your thinking. :th2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":257az225 said:
I don't blame them for having passion about something they feel is rightfully theirs and them seeing it gather recognition around the world with another team. I am sure the jealousy and disdain would be the same if the tables were reversed.

There have been examples of other NFL teams pumping up their 12th man game ceremonies, I think it was the Titans who raise a flag similar to what happens at the CLink. I saw posters here getting outraged and mocking those folks, feeling they lacked originality and that the true "12th Man" belonged here. Not a popular opinion but just want to point out that people react the same across the country when they feel their special niche is being violated.

Carry on.
NOT when Texas A&M laid claim to what was originally from the U of IOWA in 1912, you'd think that some IOWAn football fan would be getting a snake lawyer (plenty of them around), and suing the living sh*t out of Texas A&M for some of that money they'd hornswoggled out of Paul Allen.
I think it's goofy that other teams across the Nation don't retire their #12, to show appreciation to their fans in the exact same way.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
12th man is just a label...what's Texas A&M complaining about? Can we see pictures of the damages? If not, maybe they're just whining because our 12th man is getting more recognition than theirs.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Most attorneys will tell you that in order for a lawsuit like this to be successful, the plaintiff must show that they were "damaged" in some way. I really do not see that aTm was financially damaged by the Seahawk fans using this term "12th man". I do not believe that they had an official registered trademark to this term......and even if they did, it would be valid only in Texas.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What is upsetting the most... is that ever since the 80's Seahawks fans have called themselves "the 12th man" back when some of you guys were blowing the roof off the Kingdome.

Texas A&M didn't say a peep until the Seahawks got National Attention in 2005.

They did the whole license agreement thing and for 8 years you don't hear a peep out of Texas A&M.

Then the Seahawks make the Superbowl... and all of a sudden they got a problem... Seahawks fans aren't stealing anything from you... for 20 years we didn't know about you and you didn't know about us... Seahawks fans have always prided themselves on making so much noise it affects the game... hence being nicknamed the 12th man.

Get over it. And quit trying to get sympathy for easy cash.

Latest posts